Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a hankerin' to make our way through buying some land'n'having sheep/grapes/cattle/vegetables or whatever to live off.
We aren't looking to become rich, but on the other hand we don't want to work for no return!
1st off, l don't even know how NZ is with immigrants just now, but l do know that when l actually had a job lined up in Rotarua many years ago, l was refused entry because the policy was that a NZ native could do the job, so l got refused!
I saw this piece of land & wondered if you guys have any feedback & advise to give me...............cheers!:cheers:

http://www.sella.co.nz/property/rural/other-farms-agricultural-land/rw5snv/

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Yep i have a look later as its 6.20am and off home soon to see my lovely wife as will leave work at 7am. For some reason the work computer blocks me looking at your link.

Sleep first

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Britmick. Repongarere Road is of State highway 2 South west of Gisborne. I have riden past it numerous times on my bike trips. State highway 2 takes you through the Waioweka george to whakatane, then North. The land you are looking at are about 1/4 acre sections in a subdivision. It is probably about 25 -30 minutes from Gisborne. Excellent riding roads, around the East Cape, south etc. Climate is good, can be dry in summer. The problem for me is that Gisborne is out on a limb. It takes several hours drive to get anywhere. Not my cup of tea. Being a subdivision there would be restrictions on what you can do or build. Obviously this subdivision my not be popular because of its location, hence the price. 49000 is a cheap peace of land in New Zealand. Then you have to build a house and building is expensive here compared to the US or England, from what i have seen. You would be better off buying a block with a house in a more central location, either North or South islands. There are some excellent deals in smaller towns at the moment. Being more central cities are only an hours drive away. You also need to check with Immigration NZ to see if you are eligible to immigrate. Basically they may want to see how much money you will bring to NZ and see if you will be a burden to the tax payer. I am saying that from experience as i had an English customer who wanted to settle here. He purchased a sizable block of land, he had enough funds and an English pension. He did not have to rely on the NZ govt for anything. He was refused residency. He had a son in Aussie so he got around this by spending 6 months of our winter there and 6 months of our summer here.
Check the immigration laws and personally i think you can do better than what you are currently looking at. If you want a recluse type of lifestyle there are some excellent places to be had, same with an urban lifestyle.
I also have family living around the area so i know how far out of reach the place is.
Good luck

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Hi Britmick, kiwitourer knows his stuff and anyway the north island is his island as the south is mine.

Immigration is a hard one here especially if age is against you so you got have plenty of money in your account, setting up a small business and investing in the economy can be a ticket in. The only issue here is watching out for renegade orc's but apart from that its a safe part of the world especially in the south island.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
It says sewage disposal field ready for connection but would presume you will still need spend 20 to 25 k NZ on a sewage system. I got one on my 3 acre block which is a multi chamber thing with filters and aerating pumps.

That is a cheap section in my opinion but it must be a bit isolated but that is only the reserve price.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WTF is a renegade orc????

As you say, your immigration laws are strict, & unless either of you know of a business opportunity I guess l'll just have to be a summer visitor, which isn't really that bad of a thing with you being Southern Hemisphere & the USA & GB being Northern!!!

Here's an out of the box question guys; How much per lb or kilo do you pay for fresh &/or frozen lamb shanks/legs?

The best l can get in the US is $6 a pound ($12.50 a kilo) in US $$$'s.

6.00 USD = 7.24 NZD 1 x US $ = 1.2 NZ $

·
Banned
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
391 Posts
WTF is a renegade orc????

As you say, your immigration laws are strict, & unless either of you know of a business opportunity I guess l'll just have to be a summer visitor, which isn't really that bad of a thing with you being Southern Hemisphere & the USA & GB being Northern!!!

Here's an out of the box question guys; How much per lb or kilo do you pay for fresh &/or frozen lamb shanks/legs?

The best l can get in the US is $6 a pound ($12.50 a kilo) in US $$$'s.

6.00 USD = 7.24 NZD 1 x US $ = 1.2 NZ $
NZ leg of lamb approx 16.00 kg.
Check out " Trademe" nz. check out businesses for sale. plenty to chose from. Need to make sure they are viable.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's an interesting link to the Trademe website.
We have found out that house/land/lifestyle/rural properties are bloody expensive!!!:eek:
So, when we win the lottery we will just rent for 6 months then travel Europe for your Winter.................this rental property is near the top of our list of places to stay....http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/18161.asp

·
Registered
391 Posts
That's an interesting link to the Trademe website.
We have found out that house/land/lifestyle/rural properties are bloody expensive!!!:eek:
So, when we win the lottery we will just rent for 6 months then travel Europe for your Winter.................this rental property is near the top of our list of places to stay....http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/18161.asp
Tairua is just over the hill from where I live. Very nice place to spend summer. Excellent climate. Reasonably handy to 3 cities. The coromandel peninsula is a beautiful place. Over the Christmas holiday period, end dec to mid jan the influx of holiday makers is quite sizeable to say the least. Not to bad in Tairua. Lots of things to do on the coromandel, good riding roads as we'll.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts