Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Kickstand or dismount first?

• Dismount then put the kickstand down.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Switch it up and do either.

• Why bother with the kickstand, just drop it on the ground & walk away .

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I almost always put the kickstand down first.
I never thought about it until I was watching a bunch of riding videos and I saw several people get off their bike, then put the kickstand down. Seemed like mostly European riders doing that.

·
Premium Member
16,108 Posts
#1 for me except the time i forgot and did #4. :eek:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Kickstand down first, then get off. I'm short, so it would be an unnecessary balancing act for me.

Well, except at the track....that bike has no kickstand.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
LOL. . reminds me of that old kick stand thread! :eek:

The correct way and the way it says in the manual is to......

Put the kick stand down first and always. Than dismount on the same side as the kick stand. This way there is no chance of the bike falling the other way! :thumb::thumb:

Do not dismount the on the other side! That is for law enforcement only! :thumb:

Popcorn please!

·
Super Moderator
1,484 Posts
Ball of right foot on the rear brake. Apply 100% of your weight on right foot as you stand and dismount to the right while drawing your sidearm...
and drop the bike on left side.

Perfect Stop, Draw and Dismount... picking the bike up is another thread!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Ball of right foot on the rear brake. Apply 100% of your weight on right foot as you stand and dismount to the right while drawing your sidearm...
and drop the bike on left side.

Perfect Stop, Draw and Dismount... picking the bike up is another thread!
:funnypost:'s :thumb::thumb::D

·
Registered
354 Posts
#1 now. When I first started riding, most of the bikes didn't have kickstands (dirt bikes), so I'd usually dismount and then remember the bike I was riding DID have a kickstand. I was also probably used to dismounting and then using the kickstand because I was used to riding BICYCLES. Anyone here put their kickstand down and then dismount on a bicycle?

BTW, I've NEVER forgot to put the kickstand down (in over 30 years of riding) and don't even see how that's possible. I have thought it was down, when it wasn't for one reason or another, but never just forgot.

·
Super Moderator
1,484 Posts
You'll only forget once!

Bicycles are light.
Motorcycles are heavy!

When you get a lean on a bke and you are over the seat swinging a foot over... it is too late.You have reached the... Oh Shi-te did I put the kickstand down moment.

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
I use the kickstand to shut the bike off. Stop in 1st gear, put down kickstand, put bike on kickstand, shut off ignition, remove helmet, get off bike and grab key.
Me TOO....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts