Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kawasaki Versys KLE650
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been riding the Versys for some time now, and while the kickstand is generally acceptable, there are times when it prefers to sink into the earth and dump the bike rather quickly onto it's side. If you are trying to moto camp with it, the extra weight has the unfortunate side effect of making it near impossible to dismount the bike without complex aerobatics.

In the past I used to carry a plastic kickstand puck in my tankbag, which I would then drop as close to the kickstand as possible and try to manoeuvre it underneath the kickstand. At the end of a very lengthy ride, it could be quite difficult to do this, so I knew I had to do something before I started another season of moto camping on the Versys.

A bit of back story first... I used to ride a KLR, and while at Rocky Point Newfoundland I got off the bike to take a couple of shots...

Only to return to find the bike was taking a dirt nap...

Alright, I've managed so far on the Versys, but research showed me that I could get a Touratech kickstand adapter for merely $59.00 USD before shipping, and as I am on a fixed income at the moment, it wasn't until I found a similar item sold on fleBay.ca for $12.00 CDN and free shipping I decided I had to have one for this season.

Read more about the mod with a review here:

RedDirtRiders

Yes, it was worth every penny. :D

p.s. Sorry about the huge pics.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I also went with a cheapy foot from ebay, a few years ago. It sits a little loose which helps it level itself I guess. But I honestly thought it would have fallen off, rusted away or broke by now. But no, 4 years on and it's still working like a champ.

Looks like you got a good find.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will admit to using lots of blue loctite on the machine screws, an affliction common to experienced KLR riders. :wink2:

I also went with a cheapy foot from ebay, a few years ago. It sits a little loose which helps it level itself I guess. But I honestly thought it would have fallen off, rusted away or broke by now. But no, 4 years on and it's still working like a champ.

Looks like you got a good find.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
If you like cheap..I got the green thing free. Took the cable off a brake lock and bought the metal fastner. So probably about a dollar invested...

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I've been using in the past, although your coil idea is slicker than my aerobatics. :)

I prefer the kickstand adapter as it is always there, ready to save the bike from yet another tip over.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have Speedy's flatfoot, and it works well. I also have a sink-no-bob (https://www.klr650.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140 ) that I purchased for my KLR back in the day and kept in case I wanted it for the Versys. Still have it on a shelf. Since it attached to the kickstand with a hose clamp or zip-tie, it's a semi-permanent fix if/when I decide to use it again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have Speedy's flatfoot, and it works well. I also have a sink-no-bob (https://www.klr650.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140 ) that I purchased for my KLR back in the day and kept in case I wanted it for the Versys. Still have it on a shelf. Since it attached to the kickstand with a hose clamp or zip-tie, it's a semi-permanent fix if/when I decide to use it again.

That sinknobob looks like it could be made out of an old tire. A simple solution indeed!

How much did the flat foot cost you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That sinknobob looks like it could be made out of an old tire. A simple solution indeed!

How much did the flat foot cost you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got it a while (7 yrs?) ago, I think, along with a bunch of other stuff (mirror extenders, lowering peg blocks. handlebar riser). I may still have a receipt here somewhere...

In any event, it's currently $48 USD.
https://motowerk.com/collections/ka...ard-flatfoot-for-kawasaki?variant=15983380867

I have no idea how it compares to the other options listed, but mine works fine. Speedy makes great stuff. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
20,751 Posts
I got some "cheapies" off Ebay for about $4 apiece, then installed them w/ a BIG gob of "JB Weld" (after I 'roughed-up' the bottom of my side stand w/ a file) and it AIN'T moved!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.