Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 650 SE
Had to get recovered by CAA the other day while on a two day trip. Was in a Timmies parking lot and could not get my bike started. I'm pretty certain it is the safety switch for the kickstand. Tried and checked everything. Would not start. Had limited tools with me and no shop manual. Could not see any visible loose or broken wires. Plenty of juice in the battery. Fuzes all good..It's at the Kawi dealer in Peterborough now.

·
Premium Member
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
29 Posts
Darn, what an &[email protected]*! drag
BTW, any pictures of your dash during your troubleshooting session? Blinking lights for a code, also even if the battery has +12volts it's the amperage that's critical.
Please keep us posted, nice bike!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn, what an &[email protected]*! drag
BTW, any pictures of your dash during your troubleshooting session? Blinking lights for a code, also even if the battery has +12volts it's the amperage that's critical.
Please keep us posted, nice bike!
Everything on the dash was normal. Plenty of power. I was approx 400 kms into a 500 km day. Multiple stops and starts, no issues. No codes or blinking lights. Bike just would not start. I put the kick stand up multiple times hoping that would tweek something. Tried with clutch in as I always do, nothing. Clutch out, Nothing. Put it in and out of gear, nothing. Even some other bikers tried to help but we could not any cranking out of my bike. Real drag. CAA was very good. They took me directly to the Kawi dealer in Peterborough approx 100 kms away. What pissed me off a bit was I was there almost an hour before they closed and the lady at the service counter would not have the technician have a quick look to see if it could have been some that could have been fixed in a few minutes. I am about three hours away. Had to get the wife to come and get me and now have to go back sometime this week when it's fixed. I really think it is something very simple that could have been fixed in a few minutes. I will post the results when it is resolved.

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
My money says the start relay, one indication is if you heard clicking under the tank, the start relay , but no cranking as the start solenoid could have failed main contacts, simple screw driver short out at the main fuse to start . For no cranking you would need both the neutral switch and kick stand switch to fail.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My money says the start relay, one indication is if you heard clicking under the tank, the start relay , but no cranking as the start solenoid could have failed main contacts, simple screw driver short out at the main fuse to start . For no cranking you would need both the neutral switch and kick stand switch to fail.
Dash is normal start up display, neutral gear position, kick stand up, clutch in, hit start button,.....no cranking. No clicking under the tank. I will let you know the diagnosis when they get back to me. Thanx.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Will it start in neutral? If not then its not the kickstand.

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
Two other possibilities, a bad kill switch or bad start switch and last a corroded connector from the right side harness just below the right side rubber mount for the gas tank.Nothing else inhibits the starter .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a corroded Start Switch at the handlebar They took it apart and cleaned it up and works just as good as new. 30 minutes. They recommended I replace the entire assembly with a new one so I will get that done. I have no idea how it became corroded. Bike has been driven in very little rain and has always been stored indoors, including winter in a heated garage. Something I was not aware of the mechanic suggested if it happens again is that the bike can be bump started. He recommended doing it in 2nd gear. Also can be jump started but would require unbolting and slightly raising the fuel tank for access. Anyway the switch will be replaced ASAP so that should not be required.

·
Premium Member
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
29 Posts
"....corroded Start Switch at the handlebar"
Thanks, 17A, what a doozy & pain, darn *^#$

It shows that we should do a better and in-depth maintenance lets say in the postseason and before hitting the road for an extended time.

When I switch out the OEM handlebar, I remember that the inside of the start switch contacts where dirty, and I used a hefty dose of Electric spray cleaner on all contacts.

Btw, I checked my front brake calibres after a week of gruelling Black Hills SD trail riding week (mud, water, stones) and this is what I found;

IMG_20200501_160427__01.jpg
The worse, that the right cylinder was sticking, i.e it minimal movement, in other words, your front breaking would be impaired.. well how nice is that!!

Again thanks 17A, and all of you... please do your maintenance, simply unscrew the 2 long fine threaded screws and spray electric cleaner-wipe-check-repeat.

·
Registered
2013 v650
223 Posts
The start button/ switch has been and still is a common problem when you have intermittent starting and the first place to look. One test that might work is to push and hold the button then try to wiggle it around a little. The wiggle helps to allow the switch to make better contact. It will also tell you it is the switch and not some other area of the start system Disassemble and clean will be just as good as replacement. Another common failure is the start relay/ main fuse assy. under the left side fairing. It is an electrical operated switch not a finger operated switch and carries the high amp load.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The start button/ switch has been and still is a common problem when you have intermittent starting and the first place to look. One test that might work is to push and hold the button then try to wiggle it around a little. The wiggle helps to allow the switch to make better contact. It will also tell you it is the switch and not some other area of the start system Disassemble and clean will be just as good as replacement. Another common failure is the start relay/ main fuse assy. under the left side fairing. It is an electrical operated switch not a finger operated switch and carries the high amp load.
Good Info, Thanx.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts