Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice from those of you who have experience with some of the Kevlar lined jeans. What do you have and how do you feel about their comfort and protection.

I have a pair of the AD1 pants from AeroStich but I'm looking for something for short trips that is a little more convenient but still offers some protections. CE knee pads that are easily removable would be a plus.

Aerostich - They make a pair with externally accessible knee pockets but just a double layer of denim in the critical areas, no kevlar.

Sliders - Kevlar and some type of knee pad attachment, not sure how it works.

AGV - Just released a new model "Corsica" that has Kevlar and was supposed to have knee pad pockets but does not.

Bull-It - Can't find much more than a youtube video. Look nice but I'd like to know details, price, and where to get them.

I know there are a lot of others out there (Draggin, Joe Rocket, etc) but I also need to be able to get them in a 32 or 34 inch waist and a 36 inch length which is where the problem lies.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm looking for some advice from those of you who have experience with some of the Kevlar lined jeans. What do you have and how do you feel about their comfort and protection.
I have some which I wear sometimes in warm weather (with Knox strap on knee armor underneath). But I think the protection of them and most kevlar lined jeans is poor. The kevlar blend reinforcement may (or may not) have sufficient abrasion resistance, but from what I read, the seam burst strength and the integrity of the garment is really poor on many of them. Also on many the coverage is insufficient: many don't cover the side of the leg. Knees and butt isn't enough if you're sliding on your side.

There are a few choices now in CE rated jeans. There's even a pair that's CE level 2 rated which means it passes a higher safety standard than most leather riding pants.
http://bull-it.com/

For CE level 1:
http://www.drayko.com/
I think these are the Australian Draggin Jeans rebranded to sell in the USA (which has its own Draggin Jeans).

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
Those look interesting. Never heard of them before...do you use these?

Not yet. I've been looking at them and because i have a hard enough time finding jeans that fit so these could go under my jeans.

·
Registered
616 Posts
AGV - Just released a new model "Corsica" that has Kevlar and was supposed to have knee pad pockets but does not.
Knee pad pockets aren't necessary. If you're wearing jeans on the moto, you probably want to be dressed in regular clothes. With the knee armor in the pockets they may hang funny and look odd when you're off the bike. And the knee armor won't be as secure as strap on knee armor anyway. So I wear that under the jeans.

Wearing jeans with the armor in pockets can be sort of like giving up safety for style and getting neither.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I really like the Sliders. Good reviews and not a ton of money. I bought a second pair and ride with them all the time! :thumb:

They run two sizes too big and have plenty of room. :thumb:

Knee armor you have to order seperate which was great for me as the armor bothers my knees. The pant has a knee pocket. :thumb:

I don't know one thing about the other pants.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm looking for some riding pants with protection that I can wear all day at work (no jeans allowed). I commute about 12km one way each day.
I saw some office pants, but nothing good.....

HELP!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yeah, if I tried to wear work pants I'd catch a big old squishy bug on the way in to an important meeting.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Any motorcycle jeans I've seen are cut like farmers jeans. Recommend Dragginjeans liners worn under regular jeans with maybe Icon or simliar knee shin protection. They are all Kevlar with double layers over the strike points.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm looking for some riding pants with protection that I can wear all day at work (no jeans allowed). I commute about 12km one way each day.
I saw some office pants, but nothing good.....

HELP!!
Would these work for you?

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/clothing/jeans-and-pants/aerostich-protekt-riding-khakis.html

I also sent AeroStich an e-mail asking them how they felt about the abrasion resistance of the double layer denim in the seat of their Protekt jeans and if they had ever considered adding a Kevlar or similar material between the layers for added protection.

I really like that their knee armor is removable from the outside. I'm just looking for a little added protection for those trips out for dinner, movie, etc. where I can just walk in when I get there. These would be great because I could just quickly pull the knee armor out.

I may have to take a ride to Stich as soon as the snow is gone and look at them in person.

Mitch

·
Registered
616 Posts
that's one solution, but in the summer, at 35°C I don't feel like........
I'm looking for another solution...
Is it often 35C during your commute times? In Canada? Even on the rare days it hits 40C here I'm fine commuting with motorcycle pants over my jeans. But it's not 40 when I commute. Unvented overpants over jeans isn't that big a deal in the Summer for me. If it were I'm not averse to wearing moto pants and changing at work. That's what I used to do when I was an occasional commuter--I hated the idea and feel of 2 layers of pants. Now that I commute it regularly I don't mind and it's more convenient. But if it's only a rare day that it's uncomfortable try something else.

·
Registered
285 Posts

I have a pair of the AD1 pants from AeroStich but I'm looking for something for short trips that is a little more convenient but still offers some protections. CE knee pads that are easily removable would be a plus.

Aerostich - They make a pair with externally accessible knee pockets but just a double layer of denim in the critical areas, no kevlar.

Sliders - Kevlar and some type of knee pad attachment, not sure how it works.

Bull-It - Can't find much more than a youtube video. Look nice but I'd like to know details, price, and where to get them.

I know there are a lot of others out there (Draggin, Joe Rocket, etc) but I also need to be able to get them in a 32 or 34 inch waist and a 36 inch length which is where the problem lies.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Mitch
I have 2 pairs of SLIDERS 4.0 KEVLAR, one jeans, the other cargo, and I love them. I chose them over the other brands because of the wider area of protection, more kevlar lining. Thank goodness I haven't had the need for them so far. They have mesh compartments for optional knee paddings which I also bought, but decided early on not to put them on as the pants themselves are loose fitting and on impact the paddings might move around and not provide the intended protection. Instead, I wear the SHIFT knee/sheen guards under them.

webBikeWorld did a review of the SLIDERS recently and here's the link:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/sliders-kevlar-cargo-pants/

Also, at competition accessories- I saw a video of these pants wherein they describe the features of the pants. here's the link:
http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Kevlar-4-0-Cargo-Motorcycle-Riding-Pants-Seasonal

I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts