Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Kenda K761 Tire Review

322 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  nj-bill
I attended my nephew's graduation ~400 miles away and figured it was a good time to test out some new tires. I've run a lot of Kenda tires over the years and don't hesitate to use them when they have an offering that fits my use. But...can a $150 set of tires actually perform?

Cliff Notes:
They perform well above their pricepoint.
One-word description: Predictable.
Would I buy them again? Absolutely.
Where I bought them (no affiliation with the seller) 100/90-19, 130/80-17 Kenda K761 Dual Sport Front & Rear Tire Kit - 2 Tires | eBay

The K-761 is billed as an 80% road / 20% dirt. I'd say they're closer to a 70/30 or better. I mounted and balanced them myself without fanfare; even the rear went on relatively easily. This trip was 95% pavement due to distance and time constraints. I set the cold tire pressure at 31 Front and 33 Rear for the trip.

High-Speed interstate impressions:
Overall rating: 7
Pronounced hum from 50 mph and on. I wear earplugs and was still aware of it. This dropped by ~75% after about 800 miles.
No stability issues or strange vibes/feel.
Even after sustaining ~80 mph interstate speeds in ~85-degree temps I never saw more than a 3 psi rise.
No surprises in performance but there are better choices if you do a lot of interstate riding (something I avoid if at all possible.)

On the return trip we routed through more interesting country and we landed in Morenci, AZ. This is where Hwy 191 gets incredibly curvy on its way to Alpine, AZ.

Cornering and low-speed pavement impressions:
Overall rating: 8
Way better than expected!
Smooth and predictable in the corners.
No upsets when encountering loose gravel in the corners...not even a single slip, actually.
Easy transitions of lean angles at speed; no weird break-overs or strange feedback.
Braking was smooth with no 'grabiness' or chatter.

After returning home I took the X out for some offroad fun. Did about 50 miles of gravel roads, dirt roads two-track, and even a couple of miles of single-track.
Overall rating: 8 (tire press. set at 28 Front and 30 Rear)
Keeping in mind that these are supposedly 80/20 tires I expected to be less than impressed, but I was wrong. They actually did very, very well!
Gravel roads over hard-pack dirt: Excellent! Fantastic grip, no squirminess at all, very stable at speeds up to 45 MPH, and solid in the corners. Wash-board was no prob.
Packed dirt roads: As above, smooth and predictable with no surprises. I never once thought about grip or what my tires were doing, they simply performed.
Sand crossings and standing sand on hard-pack: Pretty good overall. The narrow front digs in a bit but it's easily overcome with weight distribution and throttle.
Deeper sand: Acceptable, which is actually good for this type of tire. The front will dig, especially when cornering, but I adapted to it quickly and learned the tire's behavior. After a little time I no longer really thought about what the front was doing and focussed on the ride. The rear performed very well in the sand and surpassed my expectations for this style of tire.
Power slides in all conditions were predictable and linear, no hiccups at all.
I would rate overall breaking as good. They will slide on hard-pack and gravel if you over-brake (no surprise) but they are easy to anticipate once you get used to them. My bike is a non-ABS version.

Mud performance:
Overall rating: Too early to tell
I only did a couple of miles in the Malpais area that had scattered muddy areas. The tires did fine and the rear hooked up quite well, but I'll need more miles to make a judgment.

Tread Life:
This is only an estimate on my part. The tires have 1200 miles on them at this point. I didn't measure tread depth when new, so my impression is visual only. With that said, they look great for the mileage and use at this point and I expect ~5K pretty easily. Of course, at ~$150 a set, it's no hardship to swap them out early if I choose. Front tire wear is comparable to the rear pictured below.

Rear tire when brand new:

Rear tire after ~1100 miles (dirty after my trip, then cleaned up)

Leaving Morenci on Hwy 191 traveling through the open-pit copper mine:

Pit stop in the Malpais National Monument:

Dirty fun in dry conditions:

One of the sandy portions:

See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
I attended my nephew's graduation ~400 miles away and figured it was a good time to test out some new tires. I've run a lot of Kenda tires over the years and don't hesitate to use them when they have an offering that fits my use. But...can a $150 set of tires actually perform?

Cliff Notes:
Where I bought them (no affiliation with the seller) 100/90-19, 130/80-17 Kenda K761 Dual Sport Front & Rear Tire Kit - 2 Tires | eBay

The K-761 is billed as an 80% road / 20% dirt. I'd say they're closer to a 70/30 or better. I mounted and balanced them myself without fanfare; even the rear went on relatively easily. This trip was 95% pavement due to distance and time constraints. I set the cold tire pressure at 31 Front and 33 Rear for the trip.

Pronounced hum from 50 mph and on. I wear earplugs and was still aware of it. This dropped by ~75% after about 800 miles.
Even after sustaining ~80 mph interstate speeds in ~85-degree temps I never saw more than a 3 psi rise.
No surprises in performance but there are better choices if you do a lot of interstate riding (something I avoid if at all possible.)

On the return trip we routed through more interesting country and we landed in Morenci, AZ. This is where Hwy 191 gets incredibly curvy on its way to Alpine, AZ.

No upsets when encountering loose gravel in the corners...not even a single slip, actually.
Easy transitions of lean angles at speed; no weird break-overs or strange feedback.

After returning home I took the X out for some offroad fun. Did about 50 miles of gravel roads, dirt roads two-track, and even a couple of miles of single-track.
Keeping in mind that these are supposedly 80/20 tires I expected to be less than impressed, but I was wrong. They actually did very, very well!
Gravel roads over hard-pack dirt: Excellent! Fantastic grip, no squirminess at all, very stable at speeds up to 45 MPH, and solid in the corners. Wash-board was no prob.
Packed dirt roads: As above, smooth and predictable with no surprises. I never once thought about grip or what my tires were doing, they simply performed.
Sand crossings and standing sand on hard-pack: Pretty good overall. The narrow front digs in a bit but it's easily overcome with weight distribution and throttle.
Deeper sand: Acceptable, which is actually good for this type of tire. The front will dig, especially when cornering, but I adapted to it quickly and learned the tire's behavior. After a little time I no longer really thought about what the front was doing and focussed on the ride. The rear performed very well in the sand and surpassed my expectations for this style of tire.
I would rate overall breaking as good. They will slide on hard-pack and gravel if you over-brake (no surprise) but they are easy to anticipate once you get used to them. My bike is a non-ABS version.

Mud performance:
I only did a couple of miles in the Malpais area that had scattered muddy areas. The tires did fine and the rear hooked up quite well, but I'll need more miles to make a judgment.

Tread Life:
This is only an estimate on my part. The tires have 1200 miles on them at this point. I didn't measure tread depth when new, so my impression is visual only. With that said, they look great for the mileage and use at this point and I expect ~5K pretty easily. Of course, at ~$150 a set, it's no hardship to swap them out early if I choose. Front tire wear is comparable to the rear pictured below.

Nice trip, and great writeup on the tires !

Always good to have tire options ... especially cheap tires that punch above their weight !
Reactions: 3
I used Kenda K270 tires for years on my KLR650, UNTIL I modded the spoke-wheels to operate tubeless, and began using SHINKO E-705s ....
Reactions: 1

Cliff Notes:

Mud performance:

Tread Life:

Great review! Looks like these would be a step up in performance over the Shinko 705's, which I had used on the V-Strom for a lengthy road trip to the Black Hills. The 705's were decent road tires but nothing to write home about, off-pavement. I currently use Shinko 804 front/Mitas E-07 rear, but I kind of hate to burn up an 804 doing a bunch of freeway miles. Of all the different tire brands, Kenda was never on my radar, but they will be now. Thanks!
Reactions: 3
Excellent price! Thanks for the review.
Reactions: 1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts