Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of toolkit - brand do you recommend that I carry for my Kawasaki Versys x300 ABS?
Other than the one that came with the motorcycle?

·
Premium Member
9,718 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
:welcome: Unfortunately my X300 has never broken down :grin2:, but the kit seems to cover most things. So I do all of my maintenance in the garage.

I always carry a few extras just in case. Tie wire, No.10 fencing wire, duct tape, lots of zip ties, some shock cord and on trips a couple of spare tubes. You can however get away with just a 19" and cram it, if necessary, into the rear wheel to get you home.

I cannot remember when I last used any of the extras I carry, but surely it's best to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. Perhaps I should invest in a mini socket set and a mini air pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:welcome: Unfortunately my X300 has never broken down :grin2:, but the kit seems to cover most things. So I do all of my maintenance in the garage.

I always carry a few extras just in case. Tie wire, No.10 fencing wire, duct tape, lots of zip ties, some shock cord and on trips a couple of spare tubes. You can however get away with just a 19" and cram it, if necessary, into the rear wheel to get you home.

I cannot remember when I last used any of the extras I carry, but surely it's best to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. Perhaps I should invest in a mini socket set and a mini air pump.
Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply! I really appreciate it. I sure hope too I will never have to use the stuff.
I wasn't sure if the tires are with a tube or tubeless... good to know those are with a tube.., I guess.. that would be more work to repair on the road.
I will add to my tools what you recommended: Tie wire, No.10 fencing wire, duct tape, lots of zip ties, some shock cord and on trips a couple of spare tubes. 19" and cram it.

I was wondering about the metric tools.. something like this: Pit Posse
Pit Posse PP2879 Motorcycle ATV Metric Tool Kit Honda Kawasaki Yamaha Suzuki - if that would work with my Versys x-300

I got electric tape, gorilla tape, Motion Pro 08-0536 BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker and Lever Tool Set
Sold by: MotoMummy, Three Spoon Motorcycle Tire Levers Irons Changing Tool Kit with Case Set
Sold by: redhoundauto, Nuoxinus Motorcycle Bike Mechanic Repair Tool Kit with 16 In 1 Multi-Function Allen Key Multi Hex Wrench Screwdriver for Home Outdoor Travel Camping Sport Bicycle Cycling, TAITEC Puncture Repair Kit PRO-1034A Car & Truck Tires Tubeless Tire Repair Plug
Sold by: RacingPowerSports, Pit Posse PP3167 Tire Puncture Repair Inflation Inflator Tool Kit Motorcycle ATV Quad Dirt Bike
Sold by: Boss Powersports Outlet. and Aerostich Mini Compressor - air pump.

It's cool that you are in Australia.. replying to me. How many miles you have in your Versys?

·
Super Moderator
20,617 Posts
...a couple of spare tubes. You can however get away with just a 19" and cram it, if necessary, into the rear wheel to get you home....
When I had a KLR650 I decided to modify the spoked-wheels to TUBELESS. It took me about a week to do it (waiting for the silicone-seal to 'cure', then reinstalling the tire, checking for leaking spokes, etc, etc, but it was WORTH it!). When I returned from wintering in AZ back THEN - the tires were still close to what pressures I'd put into them in the fall, so they held air PDG.

I just checked Shinko E705s (which is what I use NOW, and what I put on the KLR THEN) and your rear tire IS available as a TL, and for the front you can get a 120/70 x 19 or a 110/80 x 19.

IF enough of you would like to have a "blow-by-blow" on HOW to convert to TL (TubeLess), I'd be willing to post pics and explanations of what I did.

·
Registered
533 Posts
When I had a KLR650 I decided to modify the spoked-wheels to TUBELESS. It took me about a week to do it (waiting for the silicone-seal to 'cure', then reinstalling the tire, checking for leaking spokes, etc, etc, but it was WORTH it!). When I returned from wintering in AZ back THEN - the tires were still close to what pressures I'd put into them in the fall, so they held air PDG.

I just checked Shinko E705s (which is what I use NOW, and what I put on the KLR THEN) and your rear tire IS available as a TL, and for the front you can get a 120/70 x 19 or a 110/80 x 19.

IF enough of you would like to have a "blow-by-blow" on HOW to convert to TL (TubeLess), I'd be willing to post pics and explanations of what I did.
I would be interested to know how you did this.

·
Super Moderator
20,617 Posts
I would be interested to know how you did this.
I'm just setting-up my pics, so watch for a "step-by-step" w/ pics in a few days....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts