Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kawasaki Versys X300 2017-2022 (short video version) Designing Windshields for summer and winter
This is the short video version and the editing may seem a little choppy to keep it to 18 minutes. This project was very time consuming, diving into windshield design to control helmet noise (buffeting) and control air flow for low/mid/high zones. The goal being reduce helmet noise and experiment with several different designs to come up with a hot days and cool days version. Over several months and no less than 100 hours for design, build, install and road test went into this project and was the biggest one yet that I have worked on for the Versys X300. This project is open ended. A longer video version will follow.
I hope you all enjoy this one as it was a learning experience to learn what works and what doesn't.
LINK: (262) Kawasaki Versys X300 2017-2022 (short version) Designing Windshields for summer and winter - YouTube
Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the cuts made me chuckle. Quite an interesting design. Do the wings catch on the raised Barkbusters lettering? If so the smooth Storm handguards might be the solution.
The wings make contact on the upper portion of the black hand guards and miss the raised lettering entirely. With all the designs that I tried I wanted a quiet design and that takes a wide and tall windshield. No 3rd party/aftermarket design is as wide as what I came up with so, the movable wings were created. And those wings had to be at the angle vertically and angularly and movable - so no simple task. It took me a while to find the adjustable self-closing hinges and integrate them into the design at the exact location to make it all work. This project was both fun and frustrating with the months involved. Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did you try the puig or givi?
I've not tried any store bought windshield. The reason is there are many reviews of those two and there are X300 owners that like them and there are X300 ownered that didn't. At least one comment I remember is the X300 owner took off the after market windshield and put the stock one back on. Hmmm... I just wanted to start from scratch and keep going until I came up with a good design for cool weather and another for hot weather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts