Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Kawasaki Versys 300x light bulb replacements. (LED - vs - Halogen headlight)

21K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Jetgreg 
#1 · (Edited)
9/11/2021 UPDATE: I now have a Youtube video to document all the upgrades - LINK:
(1300) Kawasaki Versys X300 LED 2017 - 2021 Full upgrade to LED bulbs and what you need to know - YouTube
I've not owned my Versys 300x long and noticed the factory light bulbs are not the best. I have replaced the four blinkers 194 bulbs with brighter LEDs and the needed LED blinker/relay under the seat. So that is done. The next update desired is the headlight. The headlight from what I've been able to learn is the inexpensive Halogen standard bulb. Has anyone replaced the headlight with either a higher performance (still 55/60 watt) Halogen bulb or better yet a LED H4 9003 bulb ?
Related - I've added a Givi tail luggage B47 along with the tail light break light kit and that really updated the break light output in the back of the bike so I'm good with the back end of bike.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Does an LED replacement headlight bulb retain the cut off pattern so you are not blinding oncoming traffic? My new Mazda CX-30 has LED headlights and they are so bright that if I am on a slight rise when approaching cars they flash their high beams at me. The cut off is distinct but only works well if oncoming traffic is in the same plane as my car.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks Kris for your post. I'll check that out. I'm on a steep learning curve on this topic.

Twowheeladdict - your response - my input so far -
In the research I've done this week in sorting this out the LED H4 9003 are designed to reproduce the light pattern of the old Halogen equivalent. The Halogen has a solid plate or mask at the end so no light is emitted out the top of the bulb. The LED bulbs has a panel where the light is emitted only to the sides also. The LED goes so far as to replicate the low beam out one side of the panel and the high beam positioned above and on the other side of the panel just like the Halogen.
I agree the new LED and before them the HD (high discharge) light bulbs are so bright that any elevation or humps in the road and the on coming cars are toast.
Yesterday after reading some intel here I purchased a top of the line Sylvania Ultra Halogen bulb and put it in the Versys 300x and it made a difference as expected. The Kawasaki factory bulb is the lowest cost cheapest thing I've ever seen. There is a better output of light for sure in the Sylvania Bulb. Good use of $29. And from reading here and elsewhere you can replace the bulb without removing all the plastic and headlight assembly which saved me probably two hours of labor. You can get to it (barely) by going up from the left side of the bike with the handle bars pointed to the left to open up a channel to get your right hand to the existing connector, then large rubber doughnut, then the wire loop/spring, then remove the old bulb. Then reverse it all. The only thing is you are doing all this blind. You can't see a thing and it is all be feel. But as I proved yesterday it can be done quick. There are videos on Youtube that show H4 bulb replacements on vehicles to see it being done. That helped especially with the wire loop/spring.
There isn't much space in the area where the headlight is (steel bar is right there) and there may not be room for the some of the LED bulbs designs as they all seem to have a large base that sticks out. (Thank you Kris for your link above on a unit that doesn't have a large base) You will definitely need to dismantle the whole front end of the bike to even try a large base ( with the large array of fins) LED bulb.

#6 ·
Kris - that is helpful. I am planning on trying the LED headlight and have one on order from the link. Also I'll add the USB charger in the space provided in the dash on the left side. This will require all the faring and plastic to come off again. The headlight adjustment will be done then hopefully all with one disassembly of all the plastic/faring.

#7 ·
I installed the Cyclops H7 in my V650, both high and low beams. Daytime difference is amazing. I haven't ridden at night yet and am sure they need to be adjusted. Here is a link to the H4. I urge caution when purchasing any LED from Amazon. Quality and design are suspect. Vast majority are very cheap Chinese garbage.

#17 · (Edited)
I urge caution when purchasing any LED from Amazon. Quality and design are suspect. Vast majority are very cheap Chinese garbage.
I would be surprised to find that LEDs are made anywhere else than China and that includes big names like Sylvania and Philips that rebrand. They are way ahead of us on stuff like this . I have bought lots of Amazon stuff for motorbike, ebike, bicycle... I would like to buy "made in our land" but at this time Id be suspect. More expensive too. As lighting transitions to all LED the problems usually arises as we retrofit a LED emittor (bulb)into the incandescent housing. Every vehicles reflectors are different. Doing some research like here to know what will work best for your bike is the ticket. 2022 Verseys is now with stock LED reflectors and Id be interested to hear a new owners review on their performance. A modern headlight designed only for LED is way different than our retrofitting. LED brightness, pure white with so little energy used is where its at.

#8 ·
almost all is made in China. I have good experience with the Amazon's bulbs. On the other hand, in the past I got bulbs from Cyclopsadventure... and they sucked. the base was made from plastic and it was getting damaged. additionally, one bulb just burned inside the headlamp housing very quickly. and they are expensive.

#9 ·
Make sure your LED light is DOT approved. Many replacement bulbs are not. The reflectors behind your headlights are designed to gather and reflect light from where the halogen filaments are located. Unless the LEDs are placed so they copy this placement the light will not project properly. Not only will it annoy/blind other drivers, it often produces a lot of light just in front of the bike/car reducing your overall night vision. This can affect whether you see potential problems at a safe enough distance to avoid them. I did a study and read a lot of papers on the subject when LED lights first hit the market. People were just stuffing them in everything. I believe DOT rules were that if the reflector/bulb were not designed to exactly project the light in the DOT approved manner, they were not legal for street use. It is the same reason you will find labels on aftermarket driving/fog lights that say NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE. I know police officers that will pullover and ticket drivers for having lights that don't shine in the right places, or that are too bright. I'm all for brighter lights, but let's do it safely.

#10 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I now have a Youtube video to document all the detail. LINK:
(1300) Kawasaki Versys X300 LED 2017 - 2021 Full upgrade to LED bulbs and what you need to know - YouTube
I got impatient and went ahead and installed the LED Headlight that was ordered. It is exactly what is desired - brighter - whiter and the pattern is 1 to 1 with the halogen equivalent. The link above is for two bulbs and is $42. I just wanted one so I bought the single pack of one bulb for $20. It is marketed as a motorcycle bulb but the pictures all look the same between the 2 pack and the motorcycle single. I road tested it needed no adjustment in the Versys X-300. On bright it throws light out past 300 feet. The best part it fits without taking the flaring and plastic off. Above I talk about how to do that from the left and from underneath. This was the second time I swapped bulbs ( from stock to the Sylvania Halogen to the ‎AUXITO H4/9003 LED bulb). So I'm done bike going to all LED. I will leave links here for all the bulbs.
Headlight: ‎Amazon.com: AUXITO H4 LED Headlight Bulb Motorcycle, 9003 HB2 LED Light 6000K White for High and Low Hi/Lo Beam 1860 CSP LED Chips, Pack of 1: Automotive
Taillight (I chose white and it looks great): Amazon.com: AUXLIGHT 1157 2057 2357 7528 BAY15D 1400 Lumens Super Bright Low Power LED Light Bulbs Replacements for Back Up Reverse Lights and Tail Brake Stop Parking Lights, 6000K Xenon White (Pack of 2): Automotive
Blinkers : ( must choose Amber ): Amazon.com: AUXITO 194 LED Light Bulb, Amber Yellow 168 2825 W5W T10 Wedge 24-SMD 3014 Chipsets LED Replacement Bulbs for Car Dome Map License Plate Lights (Pack of 10): Automotive
This bulb is what I put in the two (left and right) running lights in the headlight unit. They are amber and are now really visible and act as running lights.
Blinkers will need new relay(under the seat on the left): Amazon.com: Motorcycle LED Relay, Turn Signal Flasher Relay, 2 Pin Motorcycle LED Indicator Flasher Relay Fix for Turn Signal, Hyper Flashing, Blinker LED Light: Automotive

Also have a Givi B47 top case in the back with the break light kit (sounds big with its rated 47 liters but can't even see it in the mirrors) -
Givi B47: Amazon.com: GIVI B47NML Top Case: Automotive
Givi brake light kit: Amazon.com: Givi E126 Stop Light Kit For B37/B47 Top Cases: Automotive
This really lights up the back end of the bike.
This will jump start anyone wanting to change over to LED.
Everything is much brighter than stock. Be safe and be seen.
Now for the Semi-truck air horn. lol
Dave

#11 ·
I have the Auxito H4 as linked above and it is great in that it's base is identical to the OEM halogen and so no weatherseal issues.
The two sidelights were then grey in comparison so I replaced them as well. Easier than replacing the H4 bulb. I cannot remember for sure but think they were T10's. Much better looking.

#14 · (Edited)
#15 ·
Thanks for making the video. I purchased the LEDs and relay you recommended and install everything yesterday except the city lights. I will replace those when I get around to taking apart the front end to install a USB outlet and phone charger. Everything went smoothly, though I decided to take off the left side fairing to access the headlight. Made things easier, except reinstalling the fairing is quite a pain.

#16 ·
Removing all the plastic is like a puzzle - with so many different size and type of fasteners. Kawasaki needs to go through a "Kaizen, the Japanese word for [improvement], and greatly reduce the variety of fasteners.

Reactions: Respen and JT in GA
#21 ·
The H4 LED bulbs come in a Ka-billion flavors. Please note the base of the stock halogen bulb is small and the rubber weather proofing doughnut will not fit anything begger. All the H4 bulbs that have all the fans and fins will NOT fit.
That is why I found a good LED formfactor replacement that will accommodate the doughnut and wire retaining wire. Piece of cake. For reference here is the LED that is marketed for a motorcycle and the LEDs themselves are in the correct location to assure minimum alignment issues. LINK: Amazon.com: AUXITO H4 LED Light Bulb Motorcycle, 9003 HB2 LED Light 3000LM 6000K Cool White for Hi/Lo Beam 1860 CSP LED Chips, Pack of 1 : Automotive

#23 ·
Hi @all.
How is your experience with the LED over longer riding time? In western Europe the bike comes without a light switch. After starting engine the light is running still stopping the engine.

Greetings
Malente67
Putting the LED headlight in the Versys X300 was one of the first upgrades that was done almost a year and a half ago. There are no issues with the bulb. Working great.