Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
NOT "quite" correct. THAT bike has a four-cylinder engine, and last time I looked at my V650 it had only TWO!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Unfortunately, not looking good for coming to the US.
that's good news, one less ugly bike on the roads, the hipster crowd will be disappointed when they don't ship to Starbuckistan.

Kawasaki can introduce more of this junk, but can't seem to come up with a new adventure travel bike.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's good news, one less ugly bike on the roads, the hipster crowd will be disappointed when they don't ship to Starbuckistan.

Kawasaki can introduce more of this junk, but can't seem to come up with a new adventure travel bike.
Didn't you hear? Adventure Travel Bikes are just a passing fad.

Not sure how long you have been on Kawasaki, but they went for decades with very little changes to their motorcycle lineups. Then they must have got new management in the 2000s and updated most of their lineup by 2010.

It is surprising that they created 3 iterations of the Versys looks since introduced.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I think the main reason for the changes in the 650 line is that at the end they let you see gear position and even more important a clock. I always like to know what time it is:). It reminds me of the movie 'spy kids' where one boy boasts that his watch among other things also shows the time:)

I am surprised how little improvement Kawasaki made to 650. But in a way, it is a nice thing, to keep the bike simple. I would welcome the LED head assembly, but apparently we need to wait for the next year model, or the year after that. anyway, i am not going to buy it; i invested too much money into my 2020 model.

·
Registered
182 Posts
For what it's worth a good friend picked up the Z900RS this year (think it was last years model). It's really a sharp looking bike. He bought that particular model because the color scheme is very close to the 1975 Z900 he owned in the early 1980's. Going from memory here but I swear the shape of the exhaust on the new Z900RS is very similar to the old Kerker header he had on the '75 Z900. People come up to him all the time asking if his current Z900RS is the original Z900. It's a throw back to the original bike but with all new technology. The bike is a blast to ride too! Almost forgot what it's like to ride a bike without all the "plastic bits".

Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For what it's worth a good friend picked up the Z900RS this year (think it was last years model). It's really a sharp looking bike. He bought that particular model because the color scheme is very close to the 1975 Z900 he owned in the early 1980's. Going from memory here but I swear the shape of the exhaust on the new Z900RS is very similar to the old Kerker header he had on the '75 Z900. People come up to him all the time asking if his current Z900RS is the original Z900. It's a throw back to the original bike but with all new technology. The bike is a blast to ride too! Almost forgot what it's like to ride a bike without all the "plastic bits".

View attachment 183982
I really like those Z900RS bikes, but am not keen on I-4 engines, or in need of the power and insurance costs. Having visibility into the global motorcycle market sure makes it frustrating when you see a bike your interested in and find out it isn't even coming to your country.

·
Registered
402 Posts
NOT "quite" correct. THAT bike has a four-cylinder engine, and last time I looked at my V650 it had only TWO!
If I read the article correctly, they are showing pictures of the Z900RS, but talking about a 650 version of the bike, which will in fact use the same twin cylinder engine as the Z650.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I read the article correctly, they are showing pictures of the Z900RS, but talking about a 650 version of the bike, which will in fact use the same twin cylinder engine as the Z650.
Yep, they were just showing the z900rs as an example. I guess we now know who only looks at the photos in an article. :whistle: :giggle:

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
I DON'T think you read the article correctly. They mention that it is a 650cc version of that Z900. Here's a 'capture' from that article:

QUOTE - Most people agree the likely move is a Z650RS, especially after Kawasaki UK dropped yet another teaser video on YouTube. The video features a bearded younger man in a black leather jacket playing chess in a park with an older man who’s wearing aviator sunglasses and a flat cap. As the camera angle switches back and forth during the short yet intense game, an old Kawasaki Z650 is parked not too far in the background behind the older man. - QUOTE

·
Registered
402 Posts
I DON'T think you read the article correctly. They mention that it is a 650cc version of that Z900. Here's a 'capture' from that article:

QUOTE - Most people agree the likely move is a Z650RS, especially after Kawasaki UK dropped yet another teaser video on YouTube. The video features a bearded younger man in a black leather jacket playing chess in a park with an older man who’s wearing aviator sunglasses and a flat cap. As the camera angle switches back and forth during the short yet intense game, an old Kawasaki Z650 is parked not too far in the background behind the older man. - QUOTE
Also from the same article:

"Expect the Z650RS will come out for 2022, especially since it’s being teased now. A reveal should be coming soon enough along with technical specs and plenty more info. Most likely it will feature the same 649cc 2-cylinder engine as the Z650, which is paired with a 6-speed transmission."

They already make a 650 version of the Z900, it's the Z650. The Z900RS is the retro looking bike, and that's what they're talking about releasing a 650 version of. I think the biggest problem is that whoever is in charge of bike naming at Kawasaki should be fired. They need to be a bit more creative.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
..."They already make a 650 version of the Z900, it's the Z650. The Z900RS is the retro looking bike, and that's what they're talking about releasing a 650 version of. I think the biggest problem is that whoever is in charge of bike naming at Kawasaki should be fired. They need to be a bit more creative....
The LAST year for the KZ650 was 1983, so I'll bet that it's a 'repop' of the old four cylinder KZ650, NOT a PTwin 650 w/ a V650 engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think it will be the twin with engine trim from the Vulcan S, but tuning like the Z650 and overall appearance like the Z900RS on the Z650 frame.
The announcement is meant to be on September 27th, 2021 as a 2022 model, so place your bets. That's mine. (-;

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The LAST year for the KZ650 was 1983, so I'll bet that it's a 'repop' of the old four cylinder KZ650, NOT a PTwin 650 w/ a V650 engine.
Kawasaki doesn't currently have an inline 4 650cc engine. I guess they could put a detuned ZX6R 636cc engine in the new bike and call it a 650. Since they mentioned the Z650, the probability that it will be a P-Twin is much greater. Kawasaki will probably follow Yamaha's success with the P-twin 700 and put the 650cc P-Twin in this new bike.

·
Registered
402 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the radiator is a necessary evil with the engine layout and covering it or ducting it more would be both more noticeable and more expensive.
I figure it has the same offset rear shock as the rest of the family just hidden under the side covers.
I agree the green and gold looks great, they'd be crazy not to offer it in what is presumably their largest market.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the radiator is a necessary evil with the engine layout and covering it or ducting it more would be both more noticeable and more expensive.
I figure it has the same offset rear shock as the rest of the family just hidden under the side covers.
I agree the green and gold looks great, they'd be crazy not to offer it in what is presumably their largest market.
I rewatched the video carefully and don't see where they kept the same shock layout. If anything they might have made it horizontal by changing the shape of the swingarm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm just guessing based on Kawasaki using the same basic frame layout on all the 650 twins from the Vulcan to the Versys with different swing arms, it works, why change? There is also the location of what may be the preload adjustment knob which would go along with the regular situation. I could be wrong. (-;

1 - 20 of 27 Posts