Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

2201 - 2219 of 2219 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
i don't think anyone will think those bikes are yours, ya would need to carry around some kind of folding ladder just so you could get on and off. chid could probably design one for you, consider making an inquiry. as compensation, you could regale him with the merits of high test WD40 and remind him not to use a clip on the rear axle nut.
:D I have many ideas, you never know...
How can I get in contact with you, I have an idea I'd like to talk to you about (yes, another one :O:O )
For the street riding type I do, I never had a problem with the clip on the rear axle nut ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts
... as compensation, you could regale him with the merits of high test WD40 and remind him not to use a clip on the rear axle nut....
I'm "old" so I'm missing your point about the "clip" - UNLESS you're referring to 'locking the steering' when camped...?

:cool:

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,204
I'm "old" so I'm missing your point about the "clip" - UNLESS you're referring to 'locking the steering' when camped...?

geeeez, you are freakin' old. chid uses a spring clip on his rear axle nut in lieu of a (stainless) cotter pin. you're supposed to step up, deploy the supermod powers such as they are, and remind the inmate of the error in his ways. i think the process is in the supermod manual somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts
...geeeez, you are freakin' old. chid uses a spring clip on his rear axle nut in lieu of a (stainless) cotter pin. you're supposed to step up, deploy the supermod powers such as they are, and remind the inmate of the error in his ways. i think the process is in the supermod manual somewhere....
chid - acknowledging the error of MY ways (as pointed out by VERSYS-BUILDER EXTRAORDINAIRE, mr jdrocks), I suggest you WELD that nut on rather than using a "non-Kawi-approved" mod....;)

Having seen a couple of his 'builds', up-close-and-personal, I have to say that "Dave's THE MAN", and wouldn't mind riding w/ him again before we BOTH die of 'old age'...!

(y)(y)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yes, I had the honor to talk to him yesterday, great experience!
While I realize it might not be Kawi-approved, my riding style (street riding mostly) does not compare with Dave's style (gravel and up).
I never had a problem with the clip, but I'll keep you guys posted ;)

Dave, where are the photos with the current build???

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,207
chid - acknowledging the error of MY ways (as pointed out by VERSYS-BUILDER EXTRAORDINAIRE, mr jdrocks), I suggest you WELD that nut on rather than using a "non-Kawi-approved" mod....
i would advise chid to disregard any Edoardo Fast "suggestions" found after October, 2018...ya know, the date of C-45, the Cannabis Act.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,208
I never had a problem with the clip, but I'll keep you guys posted ;)
see above^^^^^. i think random drug tests for supermods should be considered, although it could be that he's out playing under a scorching sun without his sombrero.

more new bike photos coming up, hopefully soon.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,209
here's a V649HP from a few years ago that i noticed is now for sale in Iowa. the rider that i sold it to added the side car rig so he could carry his dog along on his adventures. this is the same bike i built for the AZBDR, a very capable and rugged moto that can carry you way the heck out there, then bring you back. no, that rack/backrest thing wasn't part of my build.

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts
...forget the beer, i would have carried an angle grinder with a diamond cutting disc to remove the freakin' rotor lock on your moto...
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

;)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,213
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

;)
yeah, well 10 Our Fathers, 10 Hail Marys, and an Act of Contrition, then you're good to go.

in other news, i just got off the PM hotline with a rider from India. i sold and shipped to him a complete Versys suspension so he could swap in the parts on his late model EX650 moto. pretty cool, some custom fabbed parts together with the new suspension, and he has a durable adventure bike suited to the the rough India road conditions. 30,000km of use later, including gravel road trips to the mountains, the fork seals are dripping and in need of a rebuild kit. i think we got the part sourcing worked out, and he's going to report back on the outcome.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,214
in other news, i just got off the PM hotline with a rider from India. ..
got a follow up PM from my Indian friend, he could not get the fork kits in the midst of the Wuhan and various import restrictions, so he did what we would call in NA a bush fix. disassembled the forks, cleaned everything up, work a little magic on the seals, new fork oil, so far so good, he's back on the road. he reported that the bushings looked good despite pounding down some rough roads.

we're lucky here, new or used parts for our motos are nothing more than a few clicks away.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,215
a little bike work ongoing in the shop, but i paused that on a rainy day to weld together a big freakin' bird for my daughter's birthday, actually a collaborative design effort via facetime with my grand daughter, pretty cool methodology in tune with the 2020 Wuhan fuss. no stranger to these projects, my grand did the fabrication and welding on a pair of similar projects, photos in the 2019 Versys thread. this new creation gets blasted, primed, painted, and already has a designated spot in her flower garden.

fun to raid the scrap pile for a pail of junk in some interesting shapes, throw it all out on the welding table, then facetime different ways to put it all together. no tape measure, just eyeball it, weld the damn thing together. shovels, brush hooks, cultivator parts, truck lug wrenches, pick axes (just chineseum junk @ half a buck/ea), mulch rakes, clutch parts, some indeterminate shapes, and a little custom fab.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,217
i don't know why she wouldn't like it, ok, it does look a little scary, but then so do you...ya know, kinda crazed. no worries, crazed is good around this place.

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts
i don't know why she wouldn't like it, ok, it does look a little scary, but then so do you...ya know, kinda crazed. no worries, crazed is good around this place.
She has a 'kinda' idea about WHAT "art" is, and there's NO changin' her mind...!

You know - you got a "missus" TOO.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,219
She has a 'kinda' idea about WHAT "art" is, and there's NO changin' her mind...!

You know - you got a "missus" TOO.

just goes to show what the folks out in Bring Cash country know about art.

heck, when we get tired of it, MoMA wants us to crate it up and ship it to them.

2201 - 2219 of 2219 Posts