Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

2161 - 2180 of 2213 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,161
that crazy gun discussion upstairs reminded me of meeting a guy walking along a gravel road in northeast Alaska...

CROSS-DRAW HOLSTER STORY from the archives

There were signs for subsistence hunting along the road, not sure exactly who qualifies or what the regulations are, but if you happened on a Barbarella haired guy carrying a ¾ axe, as I did, who looks like he spent the winter in a soddy dugout and has Clint's long barrel .44 mag in a cross draw chest harness holster, here's a little piece of advice, don't be asking him a bunch of stupid freakin' questions, he done lost his sense of humor during one of those -60F nights out there. Here's another clue, every single creature wearing either fur or feathers will be described with a half growled preface "Mighty tasty". If ya happened to catch the guy looking you over and licking his lips, it would be time to drop the clutch and roost your butt on outta there. Actually, I left abruptly when there was a sudden pause halfway through his thoughts on flying saucers.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,162
the project bike gets stripped to the bare frame, and i found some additional interesting things on this 100% dealer maintained bike along the way...

the bike came to me with a new high end EK chain with riveted EK master, and a new rear sprocket. the front sprocket was not replaced, and i don't think anyone even bothered to check it. i don't know what brand of chain lube was supplied to the customer, but it's the nastiest gunk i've seen since we sometimes used open gear lube on chains back in the 50's and 60's.

the swingarm shaft and steering stem had never been touched. these assemblies never come with much, if any, grease from the factory, and need to be serviced.

the main wiring harness showed multiple chafed sections under the fuel tank, and a pinched wire showing copper in exactly the same location this problem has been noted on many other Versys bikes. no corrective work was performed.

coolant dirty, brake fluid original, air filter dirty, air box dirty.

if you're not performing your own bike work, you better have a good method of tracking the work the dealer is doing...or not doing.

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
the project bike gets stripped to the bare frame, and i found some additional interesting things on this 100% dealer maintained bike along the way...

the bike came to me with a new high end EK chain with riveted EK master, and a new rear sprocket. the front sprocket was not replaced, and i don't think anyone even bothered to check it. i don't know what brand of chain lube was supplied to the customer, but it's the nastiest gunk i've seen since we sometimes used open gear lube on chains back in the 50's and 60's.

the swingarm shaft and steering stem had never been touched. these assemblies never come with much, if any, grease from the factory, and need to be serviced.

the main wiring harness showed multiple chafed sections under the fuel tank, and a pinched wire showing copper in exactly the same location this problem has been noted on many other Versys bikes. no corrective work was performed.

coolant dirty, brake fluid original, air filter dirty, air box dirty.

if you're not performing your own bike work, you better have a good method of tracking the work the dealer is doing...or not doing.
My only comment is I am surprised a accident wasn't caused by that front sprocket. This would be a good post to copy, then paste in one of those threads "Is my Sprocket Worn Watcha Think" Under that photo we could explain this is slightly worn, good to get you to the local Hospital:grin2:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,164
"Is my Sprocket Worn Watcha Think"...
the OP paid someone for a new 150 buck X-ring chain, plus labor, and it was installed over a sprocket so worn out that it had missing teeth.

i think that i'll continue doing my own work, forget taking anything to a shop.

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,167
IN FRIGGIN CREDIBLE!

:surprise:
i think there are 4 teeth on the sprocket that are worn enough that the tips are missing. you can see two of them at 8 and 10 in the photo.

the EK was one of those $159.95 MSRP chains, so the reason the sprocket wasn't changed didn't necessarily involve $$$.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,168
IN FRIGGIN CREDIBLE!

:surprise:
i think there are 4 teeth on the sprocket that are worn enough that the tips are missing. you can see two of them at 8 and 10 in the photo.

the EK was one of those $159.95 MSRP chains, so the reason the sprocket wasn't changed didn't necessarily involve $$$.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,170
"WISHING ON SOME DAMN FIREPOWER" from the archives

I was camped near a small pull out on a gravel road running roughly parallel to 89, but lower in elevation at my location, and the tent was set only slightly back in the tree line with the bike parked behind the tent, as secure as I thought I could make it. Noise from the cars and trucks on 89 could be plainly heard, not the best gypsy campsite I had ever used, but far from the worst. I had only seen one vehicle on the road in front of me since I'd been there, a small car drifting on the gravel, coffee can exhaust, traveling way too fast and dragging plenty of dust.

Sleep was fitful, noise spilling down from 89 made it sound like some traffic on the gravel even though I knew it couldn't be, that and some old man aches, but traffic volume was decreasing as the hours went by, then to almost nothing after midnight. Some small noise woke me with a start at 1AM, and I mean asleep to 100% awake in an instant, and a woman's voice said "There's someone here already", clear as a bell, and very close to the tent, like close enough to reach out and touch it. The walls of my MSR tent are translucent, no lights of any kind were showing, there was no more conversation, and no vehicle noises or headlights. I had my little pocket knife, wishing on some damn firepower, heck, I would have felt a lot better if I had a freakin' stick, anything. I was laying there as still as could be, listening intently for any sound, at least I wasn't actually in my sleeping bag, it was open over the top of me. With no more sounds, it crossed my mind that I had imagined that voice, no way, I've never been one prone to that sort of thing, there had been someone standing right next to my tent out here at 1 freakin' AM, presumably more than a single someone.

I knew when the clock struck 5AM, I'd been looking at my watch every 30 minutes, that conked out restful sleep had never happened, and I was up and out. It was full dark at this hour, but I saw no vehicles or anything else around me, and nothing had been disturbed on the bike. I was getting some breakfast underway and still thinking about that voice when I saw headlights on the road slowly coming towards me, out about half a mile, and as quickly as I had noticed them, they were shut off, not the vehicle, just the headlights, I could still hear the vehicle moving, WTF is going on around here. I shut my headlamp off and stepped back into the trees, who drives on these gravel roads without headlights, and a late model GM pickup idled past, didn't slow further or stop. I don't get it, but one thing sure, when the sun is up, I'm gone, got the Sunset Crater T-shirt, one I'll never forget.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,171
stripped and de-greased, i'll steam clean it when i'm done with any modifications on the frame. that caked on chain lube crap was a bear to remove.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,172
an inmate sent me another cheap late model EX650 swingarm, thanks Jim, and that gave the go ahead to cut up the one i already had, what the heck, it was free. i don't feel too bad about cutting up free parts.

the objective is make a little room for tire travel, the suspension has more travel than there is available room for the tire before it runs into interference with the fender liner, then the corner of the battery box if your luck has totally failed.

i'm going to run a 120 link chain, the axle will move back, and without modifying the swingarm a little there won't be enough room in the axle slots for future adjustments. builders have added a couple inches to the swingarms on their builds, but i didn't want that length. this mod will add about 15mm, and be the first step in solving a little problem.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,174
got out my trusty bearing race installer, new tapered roller bearings at the steering stem to replace the crappy OEM caged ball bearings that have been used on this series of bikes since they were introduced. i'd bet it might cost 25 cents to install the better bearings, hard to figure these things.

i don't have a set of bearing race drivers, and this little shop built tool does the job just fine. use the old race to fully seat the new race the last 2mm.

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
Cup/ Cone

got out my trusty bearing race installer, new tapered roller bearings at the steering stem to replace the crappy OEM caged ball bearings that have been used on this series of bikes since they were introduced. i'd bet it might cost 25 cents to install the better bearings, hard to figure these things.

i don't have a set of bearing race drivers, and this little shop built tool does the job just fine. use the old race to fully seat the new race the last 2mm.

Just to be clear, I know what you mean, you obviously know, however, you are pressing in the cup portion of the tapered roller and using the old race to seat it. The reason I say this , is I have seen others install them backwards, once installed , they are garbage.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,176
Just to be clear...
bearing races installed up-side-down technically aren't garbage, they're just un-usable. they become garbage when you try to remove them, good luck on that. the steering head on these bikes is notched at 12 and 6 above the race so that a small driver (pick your weapon) can be used against the edge of the race to quickly remove it, don't mar the receiver while doing this operation. with the race incorrectly installed, there is no edge...big problem.

my race "pusher" is sized to install the race slightly below the lip of the steering head. the old race is installed on the tool to seat the new race the last 2mm, convenient since the old and new races are precisely the same OD. the old race doesn't enter the receiver far enough to stick, and is removed by hand.

OEM caged ball bearings front, new tapered roller bearings rear, c'mon now, y'all don't need to be a freakin' expert on bearings to pick the winner. these bikes are never, and i really do mean never, delivered with much grease on the OEM bearings, and i've seen some with rust started. if a rider has purchased a used bike, i've also seen these OEM bearings installed up-side-down, easy to do if someone is not paying attention. the OEM bearings need to be serviced periodically, so it's a good time to swap in better bearings/seals. i can almost guarantee that a rider will feel an instant improvement with better steering bearings.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,177
from the photo, you can see the final 2mm that the new race has to move in the receiver to fully seat. when seated, it looks like the photo.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,178
installed the slightly extended swingarm which gives me at least 15mm plus room for adjustment. i had to stick a rear wheel on there, just for fun.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,179
Merry Christmas to all the gravel running dudes and dudettes, and safe travels in 2017 too.

here's a preview of the 2017 V649HP Scooter...yup, it's a Versys, says so right on the title, and started life looking exactly the same as your bike...if you're riding a first generation Versys moto.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,180
this wheel has a Shinko 705 in 150/70 mounted, and touches the OEM fender liner at 185mm with the axle in the position it would normally be with a 114 link chain. the measured shock mount movement is 65mm, very close to the stated travel of the R1 shock. i know that the fender liner breaks when the suspension is stuffed, so the additional travel comes from compressed shock bumpers.

OEM fender liner

both the tire and the swingarm cross bar clear the battery box at 185mm.

moving the axle back in the extended slot translates at the rate of about 75% to clearance above the tire due to the geometry, but i want a solid 8" or better (205mm+), so i'll need to do some additional work at the subframe/fender liner. these bikes do need a fender liner, the space collects dust and mud even with a liner.

2161 - 2180 of 2213 Posts