Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want LED turn signals, so I ordered some OSRAM bulbs from Jeff Bezos's slave labor site, which arrived today.

Wouldn't you know it... The factory bulb retention pins aren't 180° apart, they are like 120° or something like that.

Now I have a broken OSRAM stuck in my right front turn signal socket and a lens that wouldn't have closed over it in the first place. I'm not terribly happy about this situation.

The core issue with turn signals is the lack of LEGAL replacements in the US, and California (CHP) it likes to remind motorcycles that replacing their turn signals with better, aftermarket units is not legal.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See, it's not that I put the wrong bulb in... It's that they chose a bulb that only crosses to itself, unless you look it up generically, which then crosses to an 1165.

So, what I did was try to put in the right bulb, but kawasaki chose to make things needlessly difficult.

BTW, perhaps you're new here, but I often post like this. My humor may not be obvious to you, but these posts are generally very tongue-in-cheek while informing others of potential pitfalls.

I am very mildly irritated that kawi engineers chose this particular application, but only very mildly. I have too many years in the automotive repair business to be even remotely surprised.

For the record, I also blame Orville Redenbacher for my popcorn burning in my microwave.

· Registered
73 Posts
I was messing with you. Try putting a standard halogen headlight bulb in certain Honda models. It seems that Honda used a different spacing for the 3 alignment tabs. The fix? Cut off the offending tab.

My suggestion to you is to file off offending pin.

You have a microwave? Do you like it? I live in rural TN and have thought about getting one, ever since they brought electricity to this area.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In dying!

The bulb is too long for the lens to close over it, so it's a wholesale no-go. I broke it trying to remove it after, umm... finesse. You know.

Microwaves are pretty cool, but they are inexplicably always filthy on the inside. On the up side, I can turn the lights off and still see my food in the dark. The night light in the bathroom only lasts until I flush, though.

· Registered
1,318 Posts
Personally I usually don't mess with the stock turn signals. Head lights, different story.
I would just install whatever turn signal you like and not worry about the POE. They are spending most of their time chasing the rioting anarchists not motorcyclists who having a riot riding their bikes.:cool:

· Registered
2013 v650
429 Posts
So you didn't order the correct bulb. If you had it would have had the correct pin placement. Many bulbs look the same but have those little differences like pin position. Not all bulbs have a conversion to LED. It sucks but that is the way it is. I have a ceiling fan that will only take a halogen bulb. Any LED I have tried will be too long to get the dome on, or with so little power that it might as well not be on. Even an 1157 bulb has different alignment pins so you light the correct filament for the marker and stop functions. And you can force them in the wrong way. Ask me how I know. And yes you will break the bulb or the socket to get them out.

Don't force it - get a bigger hammer.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally I usually don't mess with the stock turn signals. Head lights, different story.
I would just install whatever turn signal you like and not worry about the POE. They are spending most of their time chasing the rioting anarchists not motorcyclists who having a riot riding their bikes.:cool:
If I'm really honest with myself, I'm a fat guy riding a dad bike. They won't even pull me over for going 85 in a 65. On the other hand, wasn't it Joe with the video of a chippy hassling him about aftermarket turn signals?

Hey... Since you're here... What was going on on Shaw last night? I saw like 15 FPD and a marked CSI van acting like they were having a convention out there.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you didn't order the correct bulb. If you had it would have had the correct pin placement. Many bulbs look the same but have those little differences like pin position. Not all bulbs have a conversion to LED. It sucks but that is the way it is. I have a ceiling fan that will only take a halogen bulb. Any LED I have tried will be too long to get the dome on, or with so little power that it might as well not be on. Even an 1157 bulb has different alignment pins so you light the correct filament for the marker and stop functions. And you can force them in the wrong way. Ask me how I know. And yes you will break the bulb or the socket to get them out.

Don't force it get a bigger hammer.
The correct led bulb is not available. Sylvania says their 1156 is a direct replacement for the 5008 they claim is my stock turn signal bulb.

It is not. There are no direct replacement led turn signal bulbs for this assembly. I may have missed one somewhere, but I've been searching for about 6 months.

· Registered
73 Posts
You got
Wait... Those come with cup holders??? Since when?
Not OEM, but cousin/uncle Bubba came over and helped me add the Farkle.

I just went out and looked at my bike, and just noticed how small the indicator is. Plus mine is recessed into the cowling, so I can’t use ones off the combine.

I gotta cut the tree that the storm blew down, in front of the garage door, so I can get the bike out.

Since you also have a Kawasaki, can you tell me how this all goes back together?

Nature reserve Natural environment Tree Jungle Forest
Engine Auto part Vehicle Scrap Automotive engine part

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't you hate when they lie to you. Good luck in your search. Can you fine a replacement socket, light assy. you like.
There are a couple of options on the American slavery website that look like they may have used the factory housing. Pretty cool. I'll try one out.

It's odd that I haven't seen these until after I created this thread.

Oh! I forgot to say that the replacement OSRAM 1156 license plate bulb WAS a drop in replacement for the factory bulb.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You got

Not OEM, but cousin/uncle Bubba came over and helped me add the Farkle.

I just went out and looked at my bike, and just noticed how small the indicator is. Plus mine is recessed into the cowling, so I can’t use ones off the combine.

I gotta cut the tree that the storm blew down, in front of the garage door, so I can get the bike out.

Since you also have a Kawasaki, can you tell me how this all goes back together?

View attachment 179726 View attachment 179727 View attachment 179726 View attachment 179727
I see you added the sticky fast dohickey to your bike. Don't forget to keep a constant flow of beer (for hydration) flowing through your body (it's effective for hydration because the color doesn't have to change) and keep at it. It'll come together before you know it!

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Premium Member
16,421 Posts
Hey now .... I wish i had thought to put a cup holder on my John Deere when i had it. I had 2.5 acres to mow back then..

P1010579 by weljo2001, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.