Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a number of questions that I couldn't find answers to either online or from my dealer, I also found some misinformation along the way. I'm sharing my experience and an initial review, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

I prefer to buy from my local shop but I bought these online through FortNine here in Canada. My local dealer was giving me information that I felt was not correct (it turned out to be wrong), and as they have a restocking fee I chose FortNine for thier free returns just in case. Kappa's Canadian distributor website isn't particularly helpful, and it seems that half-way through my research they updated their website to a flashier interface with even less info.

Overall I'm impressed with the quality of construction, fit and finish, and solidity of the mounting hardware. These Kappa bags aren't flashy but that is more my style anyway, and at half the price for OEM Kawi bags this was an easy choice. Here is what I have:

K48 Monokey top case, KR4114 rear rack, KM5 mounting plate, K611 backrest
K33 Monokey side cases, KLX4114 tubular side case holder

The top case came with two keys. There is conflicting info on the 'net about whether or not it holds two full-face helmets. It fits one large and and one small HJC (see pic), but it's very tight. I doubt it would fit two large, which is probably why the Kappa website states it fits only one. Phew!

The side cases came with six keys total (!). A very nice touch is they also came with an extra lock barrel so you can re-key the top case so all bags operate with the same key. Nice touch Kappa!

All the mounting brackets are sturdy and were easy to install (see note below). The manufacturer's weight limit for the top case is probably more bike handling related than build related as it is extremely strong.

Contrary to a lot of info out there, relocation of the rear turn signals is not required for the side cases. This may be version specific, I have a 2015. Mounting instructions were pretty minimal but enough to figure it out. The top front mounting point for the side case holder is a cone and sleeve friction fit but it looks like the OEM bags would be the same. The instructions for this mounting point are not intuitive so took a little thought. Although fiddly to install it is a strong and secure mounting point. Take your time with this.

All cases mount very solidly and snap into place with a strong push. This is a solid setup. The side cases lack reflectors so if that's a concern you may want to go with Givi which are flashier in general. Kappa and Givi are made in the same factory, and from what I can see share all the same mounting hardware but with different product codes.

That's it! If you have any questions fire away...

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Automotive mirror
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Automotive side-view mirror Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Vehicle Automotive lighting Sports gear Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks good. Adding a little green pinstripe would tie it together. I'd also see if I could light that red part up to use as a marker/brake light and add LED markers to the sides. Might make you get seen. Drivers behind you may think that's your brake light. If you can't light that piece, I'd paint it green to match. I use a 4 conductor trailer plug on my trunk so I can remove it and added 6 LED's to it. 4 brake/marker and 2 markers on sides. Also have 12 volts back there to charge stuff in the dry. Mine looks like the 4th of July when I brake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good. Adding a little green pinstripe would tie it together. I'd also see if I could light that red part up to use as a marker/brake light and add LED markers to the sides. Might make you get seen. Drivers behind you may think that's your brake light. If you can't light that piece, I'd paint it green to match. I use a 4 conductor trailer plug on my trunk so I can remove it and added 6 LED's to it. 4 brake/marker and 2 markers on sides. Also have 12 volts back there to charge stuff in the dry. Mine looks like the 4th of July when I brake.
There is a stop light kit for the top case that I plan on getting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts