Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Kappa bags today! (One day early)

Kappa is basically the stripped down version of Givi.

My bike came with the givi Plx frames, so I bought the Kappa's $120 cheaper, and I'll put some conspicuity tape on them for safety purposes.

The quality of plastic is same as givi, and fit nicely on the frames.

The use the monokey system and came with 3 (THREE) keys!!
I havnt done any major miles yet, but I'll update them after I do a few rides. ImageUploadedByMO Free1371662981.129512.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1371662991.375957.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice. Where did you get them? I ask because I thought Kappas were not sold in the U. S.
Tour and Ride is the American distributor, I bought them from Tour&Ride through Amazon.com

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^That's it! They feel good on the bike, and are bigger than I thought.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went on a 200ish mile ride today, the bags were solid, they ride pretty good, I have the rear spring on the stiffest position and it rides pretty good even in the occasional cruddy mountain road.

On a side note, got a new tent the other day :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everyone,

After reading this thread, I'm set on purchasing the monolock K33's as I like the subtle look and that they're cheaper than the Givi's.

That being said, can someone shed some light on the mounting hardware? I'm overwhelmed with all the options. Please note, I'm not interested in a top rack as I plan to have my Kriega US20 fulfill that role.

For example, to me, this one seems like the best deal, the GIVI KLX447:

But then I go ahead and hop on kappa's website and find that their kit (KLXR450 )requires removal of turn signals: http://www.kappamoto.com/My-motorcycle/?mo=Versys-650-10--14&ma=KAWASAKI

Finally, on twisted throttle there's two options: The GIVI PLR450 (just ten more bucks than the KLX447) and the moto tech contour carrier for GIVI 35 (Which I have read are basically interchangeable with the kappa k33's): http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-by-bike/kawasaki/versys-650-10-12?product_type=Luggage+Racks+for+Sidecases

My bike is the 2012 Versys with the rear fender eliminator kit from yoshimura.

I just want a simple bolt on rack with no need to move turn signals or anything around. Any help in helping me determine which one I should go with is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Conrad

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have the Motechs on my 2012 and you still need to relocate the turn signals OR risk them bang into the cases and being block so people can't see them. But it doesn't look bad and only moves them about 3-4"

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have the Motechs on my 2012 and you still need to relocate the turn signals OR risk them bang into the cases and being block so people can't see them. But it doesn't look bad and only moves them about 3-4"

Wow! Your bike looks solid as a rock. Nice bags.

(I guess washing and waxing the bike helps too)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Wow! Your bike looks solid as a rock. Nice bags.

(I guess washing and waxing the bike helps too)
UMM It was brand spanking new then now it needs a wash and wax job badly...but it's been a blast to get dirty! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I moved my turn signals initially but because they still rubbed on the panniers replaced them with this

I also got a spare lock with my panniers so I replaced the lock in my Kappa top box so the panniers and top box all ise the same key :yeahsmile:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hi everyone,

After reading this thread, I'm set on purchasing the monolock K33's as I like the subtle look and that they're cheaper than the Givi's.

That being said, can someone shed some light on the mounting hardware? I'm overwhelmed with all the options. Please note, I'm not interested in a top rack as I plan to have my Kriega US20 fulfill that role.

For example, to me, this one seems like the best deal, the GIVI KLX447: http://www.amazon.com/KLX447-SIDECASE-HARDWARE-Kawasaki-Versys/dp/B00OKLLBD0/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

But then I go ahead and hop on kappa's website and find that their kit (KLXR450 )requires removal of turn signals: http://www.kappamoto.com/My-motorcycle/?mo=Versys-650-10--14&ma=KAWASAKI

Finally, on twisted throttle there's two options: The GIVI PLR450 (just ten more bucks than the KLX447) and the moto tech contour carrier for GIVI 35 (Which I have read are basically interchangeable with the kappa k33's): http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-by-bike/kawasaki/versys-650-10-12?product_type=Luggage+Racks+for+Sidecases

My bike is the 2012 Versys with the rear fender eliminator kit from yoshimura.

I just want a simple bolt on rack with no need to move turn signals or anything around. Any help in helping me determine which one I should go with is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Conrad
I noticed the KLX447 you have linked from Amazon is for a 1st Gen V. That's the model I have and I'm not sure if the racks are compatible between the 2 bikes.

Because all of the contour racks fit so nice and snug to the bike, I think you are going to have to move turn signals. I think the only examples I've seen on the forum for not moving turn signals are for some of the larger, wider racks that carry Trekker and Trax boxes. Seems to me that those don't always need re-location for turn signals on 2nd Gen bikes.

For what it's worth, the re-location job is very simple and I'm no mechanic. It also gets your signals in a place where they are better seen and there's no overstating the need to be seen out there.

The other option you may want to look at - if you really don't want to move signals - is a flat monokey rack. I can't say for sure you won't have to move the blinkers, you'll have to research that more, but it's possible. That rack - such as the Givi PLR450 tubular rack, will hold any one of a number of Kappa monokey cases. I have the Givi E21s, and Kappa K40s which I switch between on the same racks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Instead of relocating the stock signals, I think some people have also replaced the turn signals with a version that has a shorter stalk (KLR signals, maybe?). I'll see if I can find an example...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

Looking at Kawdog's picture, it seems that with my eliminator kit, the signals shouldn't get in the way?

Here is a stock picture of the Yoshimura eliminator kit. Mine is set up exactly the same way: http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-coxd9/products/6290/images/13743/Yoshimura_070BG143510_detail_1-psph__09200.1418217072.600.600.jpg?c=2

What do you guys think?

Also, with the brackets that you all have, do all the various brackets require the rear fender to be there as a support? I noticed in the PDF on kappa's website for the KLXR that something is connected with the rear fender.

Thanks again,

Conrad

·
Registered
929 Posts
OR

Admore lighting for the V35 case
(Something's wrong with the price ... I would have never paid that much for those led inserts ...)
The Cdn dollar has dropped significantly in value over the past year. I suspect they price for what the US market will bear, and convert to Cdn using the current exchange rate. It's a bad time for Canucks to buy anything based in US dollars.

Edit: just checked. The Cdn price is $8 lower than the converted US price. I still am waiting for the dollar to climb before making any significant purchases.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The Cdn dollar has dropped significantly in value over the past year. I suspect they price for what the US market will bear, and convert to Cdn using the current exchange rate. It's a bad time for Canucks to buy anything based in US dollars.

Edit: just checked. The Cdn price is $8 lower than the converted US price. I still am waiting for the dollar to climb before making any significant purchases.
Dave

I'm pretty sure (99%) that Admore lighting is a canadian company (Alberta I think)

Further more, I bought a set of those led for my v35 a while ago (let's say a year plus minus 6 months) and I absolutely didn't paid that kind of money, my gf would have me kill for that expense ... Heck, I would kill myself ...

For that price, I would expect a complete, brand new, OEM givi case with those led embeded

Something's fishy here ... I'll tried to find my bill for those led insert and post back the price I paid ... If I don't post again, it's because I did pay that amount and I killed myself ... :(

;)

LOP

·
Registered
929 Posts
They are a Canadian company. My post is just a guess, and their resellers are a bit cheaper. Maybe their costs are going up? Only they know...they make good stuff, though.

(Maybe posting under the influence of NyQuil is not a good idea...my thinking may not be too clear...)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts