Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Kaoko Throttle Lock

5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  StanBo 
#1 ·
Has anyone purchased and installed the Kaoko Throttle lock? I am thinking about adding it to my bike as I am taking a 6 hour trip coming up soon? I have a 2017 V650 LT with the stock handguards.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I have one and its massively overpriced for what it is, but there are instances where I am glad its there.

I have Barkbuster handguards and needed to massage some of the metal on the bar-end side of the handguard arm so it was flush with the Kaoko. This was because of I have my handlebars rotated rearward somewhat, so the barkbusters are rotated off of the angle anticipated when designing the throttle lock. So install was longer than expected but fully functional in the end.

Using the thing takes some getting used to, you have to kinda pre-rotate it into position of slight tension with pinky finger, then roll off throttle a bit, grab the Kaoko knob and throttle together and roll on throttle to engage enough tension to hold the throttle steady. Once it is engaged with tension you can easily adjust the Kaoko knob for more or less tension, to allow you to make micro throttle adjustments as needed to compensate for up/downhill speed changes. You will develop your own technique in the first day of using it that part is easy

I only REALLY appreciate it on rides where im on the bike many long days in a row on straight roads and some hand fatigue sets in. Its nice on shorter days while on the interstate sometimes, but for the price of $100+ you really gotta want/need it to justify that price. For me one 6-hr day trip wouldnt be enough to need it, I got it for those 10-14 day 5000 mile trips, but everyones fatigue/price threshold is different

#5 ·
The engine vibrations dont make it disengage by itself if thats what you mean, you can really crank down on the Kaoko knob to create some serious tension on the throttle grip. Ive never had it release when I wasnt expecting it

#7 ·
I've got it this year as I'm preparing for longer trips.

Like you I got numb hand about 1hour in to the trip. This is more from my sore back/neck than from vibration, but been able to take the hand of the throttle for a minute in a longer trip helps a lot.

I have it with the OEM hand guarda. No problem. Money well spend.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk

#16 ·
Back in ‘81 I had a simple one that I can’t find anymore that was the best I ever had.... you had to take the grip off and slide the skinny piece of plastic over the bar then reinstall grip, so it was very narrow and out of the way. Same kinda concept you set speed and flicked the lock which held the grip, the unflicked to release. Cheap simple and effective.

#17 ·
The only drawbacks I have found with the Kaoko and the Atlas is they are throttle locks. So if you are riding solo the speed you carry doesn't matter much. Uphill to downhill fluctuations are fine.

When with a group that have electronic cruise control there is an issue. They lock 80mph and their bikes compensate. A little niggling but not the end of the world.

I had the Kaoko and replaced with the Atlas.

The Kaoko was replaced after I installed barkbusters.

The atlas was great but failed due to bug guts. I had some large goobers when riding cross country last year and the guts didn't mesh well with the rubber pad the atlas uses.

For pure simplicity and cost. I would go back to the plastic tab that goes over the throttle and is held with your palm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.