Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Some of it is pure bull. Tires don't last any longer on a 600 and cost about the same. I can easily get 4 - 5,000 miles on a Michelin Pilot Power Rear and twice that on a front. Same for chains and sprockets. Front sprocket and chain will go at least 10k. When it comes to Jap bikes it is hard to tell the difference between a 600 and 1,000 as far as weight and wheel base etc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
A lot of that article is subjective non sense. I have had several 600's, 750's and 1000 supersports. The author seems obsessed with a 600. The problem with them is the lack of torque. They don't make enough of it to accelerate at a spirited pace under 8-9,000 rpms. So you need to be in the power band to accelerate quickly. And on the the street that means breaking the law. My latest supersport 600 was a 2013 Ninja 636 ZX6R. Which would redline 1st at 78 mph and 2nd at 110 mph. Not a lot of fun riding on the street. I have a v-twin 1000 now, RC51, and it has much more usable power. Of course being on a versys forum, this probably sounds foreign to must of you guys.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The ZX-10R will do 105 in . . . `1st! But it will pull smoothly in any gear from 3,000 rpm. When it hits 8,000 you need to hang on. It is kinda fun lifting the front wheel with throttle doing 100 mph. I always told the local swabbies they the ZX-10R was a 600 because all the stickers were off. They were mostly GSXR riders so they were impressed by Kawi power.

·
Registered
60 Posts
"If you’re one of those idiots that bought a literbike before first becoming a total riding expert, then all you’ve learned in the process is how not to kill yourself" ... LMAO .

Show me a "total" riding expert that has never ridden a "liter" bike..

Read the article with the thought the author has a tongue planted near a cheek and it isn't so bad .. ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
1000 cc`s or more :dgi:
My little 650 cc V. will do , 0 to 100 mph verry fast, my darn V love`s to break the century mark on the speedo. when i am rideing to work my V has enough power to keep me out of harm`s way and it is agile enough to zip around problems. I think that it is all about what i wont from my motorcycle and what i need from it, and the 650 V give`s me all that i wont and need.:blah:

·
Registered
120 Posts
1000 cc`s or more :dgi:
My little 650 cc V. will do , 0 to 100 mph verry fast, my darn V love`s to break the century mark on the speedo. when i am rideing to work my V has enough power to keep me out of harm`s way and it is agile enough to zip around problems. I think that it is all about what i wont from my motorcycle and what i need from it, and the 650 V give`s me all that i wont and need.:blah:
Besides my 2009 V I've also got a 2008 cbr1000rr. Yes, it'll do about 100mph in 1st gear but is actually very docile in day to day riding. People talk about the torquey nature of the V engine but it feels pretty anemic, torque-wise, relative to the bigger bike. The cbr has a very wide spread of usable power and is not high strung at all. I can put the cbr in 6th gear at ~40mph and just leave it there for a huge range of speeds, which is pretty cool when you want to be lazy.

I do like the V, including the nature of the engine, but I also really like the cbr. They are very different bikes and that's a good thing. I enjoy switching between them regularly (and both are leagues different from my 2000 kx250 2 stroke).

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've had just as much fun on my ZX-14 as I did on my Versys. Two very different bikes and two very different purposes. Both have pluses and minuses to them.

I say ride what you like.

Ride it how you like it.

Don't bother with what other people say you should do.

Dad always told me "it's none of your business what other people think of you".

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
found this article..had a laugh...posted it on a sport bike forum (PNW Riders) and stirred up a bees nest...I don't think it relates to 1 liter adventure bikes though..

http://rideapart.com/articles/11-reasons-why-you-dont-want-a-literbike

:cheers:
Seems the author confused 1000+cc race replica with liter bike. A Harley is a liter bike...hell, damn near a liter and a half bike and that hardly has a thing to do with ultimate HP.

It's all about application. I kinda agree that it's more fun to wring the neck of something less capable than to plod along on something overly endowed for its given circumstances. But that kinda riding is limited to short, thrill seeking missions. When I want to go somewhere distant and pack a passenger and accouterments, I want a bike whose engine is big and overpowered and doesn't irritate me needing constant rowing of the gear box or revving it until I tingle. If I wasn't lazy I'd buy a bicycle and peddle the damn thing. :guilty:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Seems the author confused 1000+cc race replica with liter bike. A Harley is a liter bike...hell, damn near a liter and a half bike and that hardly has a thing to do with ultimate HP.
:
Please provide a link showing a liter Harley Davidson. The author is talking about liter sport bikes. He is not talking about goldwings, R1200GS, Vulcan cruisers.
His mention of v-twin refers to the 90 degree twin sport bikes.

Sheesh. :huh:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
90° twins are referred to as L-twins not V-twins.
Guess all these folks are mistaken then.

From sportrider magazine: referring to the sv1000

The 996cc liquid-cooled 90-degree V-twin
http://www.sportrider.com/sportbikes/suzuki-sv1000-motorcycle

From cycleworld magazine referring to the Honda RC51

A dohc, liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, 999cc, 90-degree V-Twin superbike
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/19/honda-rc51-best-used-bikes/

Article about the Moto Guzzi race bike.

The air-cooled 1125 cc V 90 degree two-cylinder, four-stroke, four-valve engine
https://mybikeshop.wordpress.com/2008/05/02/moto-guzzi-mgs-01-corsa/

From visordown review of Ducati panigale:

When it comes to superbike-class v-twins, Ducati are really in a class of one

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-ducati-1199-panigale-s-review/20053-2.html#ixzz3R7tsxMcg

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Guess all these folks are mistaken then.
That's correct. An L is 90° a V is less. Don't believe me. Get out your protractor and check it for yourself.

Did you like the picture of the liter V-twin Harley? I really liked that bike in '83. Thought it was Harley's best. Others must still think so as clean examples still fetch ~$12-15k. Got bad reviews even back then though.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I like the last sentence in #6, seen that happen plenty of times at trackdays. LOL, great to watch a good rider on a small bike!

Agree with some points. I think a 600cc sportbike is all you need for trackdays, on a closed course. For the street (when I still enjoyed sportbikes on the street), I preferred a liter bike because you didn't have to shift as much, LOL.

On the racetrack, the liter will chew up tires quicker than a 600. A 600 will go through tires quicker than an SV650. I don't think that translates to street use.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts