Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys & galls,
Shakersteve here, traded in my 2014 300 cc Honda Forza Scooter, 4 yrs., for a 2017 650 LT Saturday in Dallas. First motorcycle I had ridden in 47 years. Lots of fun learning a clutch, 6 gears, a new bike all while riding thru and learning the Dallas freeway system in a rain storm. I eventually made it home to Houston, 310 miles, half of them in the rain. I drove between 50 and 80 mph going home on the interstate. When I got home I read the manual and it said do not exceed 4,000 rpm for the first 600 miles. Guess I blew that one. Did I do any lasting damage? Probable not.
I want to do some long distance rides. Hope to cruise about 75 - 80 mph. I am hoping to go to New Mexico for my first long ride later this month, after the 600 mile service. Love the bike, rides very stable, feels very powerful.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Welcome From Canada

:welcome:https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/5-member-introductions/205361-valuable-links-wizard-member-intro.html
Lots of discussion about break in, the head mechanic from the dealer I bought my 2015 650 Versys from, said not to baby it, no sustained RPM, that is don't keep it at a steady 4000 RPM, also do short blips to 8000 -9000 RPM ( 30 seconds) , the first 100 KM is crucial as the motors come ready to run full synthetic oil right from new. Why the manual states this is beyond me, also it is important to do engine braking, ride in different gears at same speed , some refer to this as the Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power Both my 2007 and my 2015 Versys 650 done this way.

·
Premium Member
16,218 Posts
:welcome:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts