Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. Yesterday I bought a sharp looking well farkled red 2008 Versys. My previous bike was a 2004 DL650 V-Strom. I loved the Strom but the Versys caught my eye since it first came to the States and I knew I would eventually have to get one. Well the time came and I am very pleased. I think the Versys will suit my needs better. I like the occasional long road trip, but mostly I like to carve up curvy roads on the weekend. The Wee-strom is like a truck in curves. The Versys feels much more agile. I look forward to soaking up all the Versys info this forum offers.:cheers:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello all. Yesterday I bought a sharp looking well farkled red 2008 Versys. My previous bike was a 2004 DL650 V-Strom. I loved the Strom but the Versys caught my eye since it first came to the States and I knew I would eventually have to get one. Well the time came and I am very pleased. I think the Versys will suit my needs better. I like the occasional long road trip, but mostly I like to carve up curvy roads on the weekend. The Wee-strom is like a truck in curves. The Versys feels much more agile. I look forward to soaking up all the Versys info this forum offers.:cheers:
Welcome to the world of the V, Toad Rider. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Welcome to the v forum, glad you enjoy the bike it is very fun.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
You'd be surprised at how well the Versys will do out on the highway if you change the front sprocket to a 15 tooth. Makes a world of difference and you can still run the twisties like a banshee...........experience speaks here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'd be surprised at how well the Versys will do out on the highway if you change the front sprocket to a 15 tooth. Makes a world of difference and you can still run the twisties like a banshee...........experience speaks here.
Well mine came farkled with a reduced tooth rear sprocket (26 to 24, I think). Does that have a similar effect? I was thinking of changing back to the stock sprocket.

·
Registered
157 Posts
While I disagree about the DL650 handling like a truck, I do think the Versys handles the corners more easily.

I own a DL650, and my wife owns a Versys.

Now that I have the cowling buzz fixed on the Versys, I am grabbing the keys to it more than the DL650. :D

I still like the V-Strom better for everything but cornering. It's engine is smoother, it has better wind protection, and it has more room for my 6'1" frame.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While I disagree about the DL650 handling like a truck, I do think the Versys handles the corners more easily.

I own a DL650, and my wife owns a Versys.

Now that I have the cowling buzz fixed on the Versys, I am grabbing the keys to it more than the DL650. :D

I still like the V-Strom better for everything but cornering. It's engine is smoother, it has better wind protection, and it has more room for my 6'1" frame.
'Truck' may have been an exageration. The DL650 would smoke many other bikes on a curvy road. It is certainly capable, you just have to put some muscle into it. Moreso than you do the Versys.

I's selling my DL650 to my wife, so I'll still have it for comparison. On long trips I'll probably beg her to swap. :D

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Well mine came farkled with a reduced tooth rear sprocket (26 to 24, I think). Does that have a similar effect? I was thinking of changing back to the stock sprocket.
That will do about the same thing but changing the front sprocket is cheaper. I'm all about cheap.......with quality that is!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You mean from 15t to 16t front, 15t front is stock.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Awesome! Can you compare your thoughts after switching from the Strom? We're always interested to see what one thinks having ridden/owned both bikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome! Can you compare your thoughts after switching from the Strom? We're always interested to see what one thinks having ridden/owned both bikes.
I haven't had enough saddle time in the Versys yet to make a detailed comparison. I'll post my thoughts when I do. The Wee-Versys comparison is a frequent thread on many message boards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts