Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Made a down payment on a black 2007 Versys yesterday. Wasn't really planning on getting a motorcycle just yet since I don't have my license yet, but I figured I'd rather spend more on the bike and practice low speed maneuvers and chicanes on my own than paying the driving school ~150€ per lesson (my teacher figured I'd need about 8 more lessons).

Can't wait for the delivery of the bike in a couple of days, but I don't dare to order crash bars in case something goes wrong and I somehow end up not getting the bike. :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello everyone!

Made a down payment on a black 2007 Versys yesterday. Wasn't really planning on getting a motorcycle just yet since I don't have my license yet, but I figured I'd rather spend more on the bike and practice low speed maneuvers and chicanes on my own than paying the driving school ~150€ per lesson (my teacher figured I'd need about 8 more lessons).

Can't wait for the delivery of the bike in a couple of days, but I don't dare to order crash bars in case something goes wrong and I somehow end up not getting the bike. :p

Welcome. I would take the class first . Just my 2c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
970 Posts
Welcome...........the Basic MSF course here is under $100 in most cases (can sometimes be free). That sounds like a lot of money per lesson.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcomes! :)

Welcome. I would take the class first . Just my 2c
I've had two 90 minute lessons so far (on a 2017 CB650), and I intend to take more of them later on. It just seems like a waste to pay loads to get low speed balance and clutch practice when I can do it on my own waay cheaper. Appreciate your advice though.

Welcome...........the Basic MSF course here is under $100 in most cases (can sometimes be free). That sounds like a lot of money per lesson.
Yeah, getting a motorcycle license in Europe is crazy expensive. About $1100 for the mandatory stuff, then add 5-15 lessons and $250-400 for every time you take the practical test (where you're likely to fail if you put your foot down during the dreaded initial low speed balance course - so not looking forward to that part).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes! :)

I've had two 90 minute lessons so far (on a 2017 CB650), and I intend to take more of them later on. It just seems like a waste to pay loads to get low speed balance and clutch practice when I can do it on my own waay cheaper. Appreciate your advice though.

Yeah, getting a motorcycle license in Europe is crazy expensive. About $1100 for the mandatory stuff, then add 5-15 lessons and $250-400 for every time you take the practical test (where you're likely to fail if you put your foot down during the dreaded initial low speed balance course - so not looking forward to that part).

If you can balance and clutch, you can to everything else! Balance, clutch, cornering and proper braking. Lessons aren't taught on track days!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!

Picking the bike up on Tuesday, and a SW Motech engine guard should arrive within a week. :yeahsmile:
Also considered the Rinntec engine guard, but it looked "misaligned" on the only "real world" picture that I found, so SWM it is.

Any advice on which reasonably priced hand guards to go for?

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
...Any advice on which reasonably priced hand guards to go for?
I run ZETA XC guards on my '08 (also ran 'em on the '09 I had till it was a write-off in '15) and they survived a 20 to 30 mph 'low-side' back in '09.

I recommend them.

Here's a pic showing the low-side damage c/w a reflective-tape "bandage"...!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I run ZETA XC guards on my '08 (also ran 'em on the '09 I had till it was a write-off in '15) and they survived a 20 to 30 mph 'low-side' back in '09.

I recommend them.
Thanks! I think I'll hold off the handguard purchase for now though, or possibly start out with a pair of really cheap ones. Heated grips keep my hands warm enough for now.

I installed my engine bars today! Also took my first proper photos of the bike, so naturally I have to upload one here :)

Edit:
Didn't seem to get the picture posted, and not allowed to include links until I've written more posts. Will give it another go later on, but until then just imagine a black Versys with SW Motech engine bars in front of a lake. And sunglare, let's not forget about that. ;)

Edit2:
Cheating (remove tags):<https://drive.google.com/file/d/17BQ8y4_ETsG1pAN058_OJ4qhGwmMS6lRfQ/preview>

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
I agree with fast eddie - you will drop the bike in the first 6 months, and broken clutch / front brake are common if you don't have good hand guards.

My first (and only bike) is an 2007 in burnt orange.

I love it, but it has many battle scars.

If it came with bags, leave them home for your practice and road test.

Have fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried to take the class here in the states. At the time any class within a 4hr drive was booked out 6 months. Chose not too but got a beginner bike to learn on many years back. so far so well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts