Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the bike on Saturday. Was riding a 2003 SV650 before that, and man is the Versys smooth and comfortable comparably!

So how important is it to keep the bike under 4000 rpms for the first 500miles like the manual says? :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just got the bike on Saturday. Was riding a 2003 SV650 before that, and man is the Versys smooth and comfortable comparably!

So how important is it to keep the bike under 4000 rpms for the first 500miles like the manual says? :)
:welcome: This should help: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/10-modifications-performance/71602-motoman-pat-mcgivern-break-method.html

I haven't seen any real science behind which way is better or not so ultimately it is up to you. Next you should ask about what kind of oil to use >:)

·
Registered
336 Posts
<snip>

I haven't seen any real science behind which way is better or not so ultimately it is up to you. Next you should ask about what kind of oil to use.

and yet another religion war takes wing....

Mobil T4 10W-40. (cringes under desk under hail of incoming righteous indignation hate mail...)
:x

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
:welcome: If i would have stayed under 4000 rpm's i would have been run over out here in Cali...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hah, should have figured there would be controversy. An early oil change definitely makes sense and I'll make a concerted effort to not lug the engine. 4k rpms in 6th is about 55mph, so that is definitely annoying ?. I'm at about 50 miles now, so I'll probably just change the oil and filter and drive sensibly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for what kind of oil to use, snake oil is definitely the best. I have a source for extra virgin snake oil that will increase your horsepower by 20% and your mpg by 30%!

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
As for what kind of oil to use, snake oil is definitely the best. I have a source for extra virgin snake oil that will increase your horsepower by 20% and your mpg by 30%!
Here's where I 'get' extra virgin snake oil when I need it....:wink2:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hah, should have figured there would be controversy. An early oil change definitely makes sense and I'll make a concerted effort to not lug the engine. 4k rpms in 6th is about 55mph, so that is definitely annoying ?. I'm at about 50 miles now, so I'll probably just change the oil and filter and drive sensibly.
I paid attention to the 4 and 6K redlines for the first thousand miles (more or less,) primarily because I didn't want to take the bike back to the dealer with the bike weeping from various orifices and have the dealer tell me "You abused this machine. NO WARRANTY WORK FOR YOU!!!"

That said, an occasional foray into the next thousand or two RPM up on a rare occasion helps clear plumbing. (IMO.)

Oil/filter changes are cheap (comparatively), engine work is not.

PS: the first oil change is absolutely crucial. You'll be astounded at the metal flakes, shavings, and gunk that appear. I changed out at 550 miles (but note that I belong to the Fred Flintstone School Of Mechanicing..)
Side note: you should have seen what came out of the engines in the mid sixties before the build quality became the art form it is today...

·
Registered
2 Posts
850 km and keep on increasing happiness

This motorbike is amazing!! Just one month and I changed from scary riding to "this s**t goes flipping well" :grin2:

I would miss some softer speed decrease when releasing the throtle. This bike is pure Nervs! ...and lovely when filtering through cars. So cute little thing with the power of a big monster beneath the skin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts