Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost exactly seven years since some idiot hospitalized, and almost killed me on my 600mi FZ1; I now finally have a new bike!
I live in Overland Park KS, and left at 4am on Saturday to pick up a 2011 Versys with 735miles at a non-Kawi dealership in Muskogee OK. I got it for $4300 out the door, loaded it up in the back of my truck, and headed home. Had about thirty minutes to ride it after unloading, then had to get ready for a wedding.
I wasn't planning on buying a bike this weekend, but when they accepted my cash offer over the phone on Friday, I figured that I'd have to be stupid to pass it up.
So far, I'm liking the bike allot! Yes I need to add and change some things to it, but it might as well be new, and at 6'2" seems exceptionally comfortable and easy to throw around. I'm trying to make a list of first mods, and any input would be appreciated.
Also, is it normal for the chain to sling oil on top of the muffler, and have it smell like burning? I wonder if the chain was over oiled at some point?

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Oil the chain and wipe off the excess will stop most of that fling off. Oh yeah congrats on the new bike post some pics when you get the chance

·
Premium Member
7,854 Posts
:welcome:and congrats.

No worries on the chain oil, its normal.

Go ATGATT .Better to be safe.......
:cheers:

·
Registered
943 Posts
So THAT's why my Versys stinks. I always thought that something was on the verge of fire. Not that I ride it smoking fast..... :)

Huh.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Congrats, Amplitude. Does the excitement of a new bike have you, um, modulating?

I'm with you in the drove-a-long-way-to-get-a-Versys club. I drove 1,300 miles each way to get my '08 in December of '08. The few Versi they brought to the US were long gone from dealers, but I found a used one with 2400 miles with a forum member in Florida and drove my truck from Massachusetts to go fetch it. Good thing I didn't ride it home...we had 36" of snow while I was gone!

Enjoy your new ride. Got some pix?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Congrats, Amp: Hopefully the saddle won't diminish your enthusiasm for the Versys. As Weljo pointed out, it was the last mod he did, but it should have been the first. The stock seat is simply evil! Others here have found it satisfactory.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
:welcome: and congratulatons. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
congrats on the new bike and getting back on two wheels ive also been a long time member of the long trip to get a bike club :) its always worth it, as for mods, hand guards , heated grips aux plug are all good starts, then maybe a tank rash guard and luggage

·
Super Moderator
19,458 Posts
...The stock seat is simply evil! Others here have found it satisfactory.
I'm quite happy w/ the stock seat on my '08 (51,xxx miles), and on my '09 (51,xxx kms). Done a FEW long days on each...:cool:.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Okay, so I've put my first 200 miles on it. And the seat sucks! I keep sliding forward, and the insides of my thighs and my tailbone are getting pretty sore after about twenty minutes on it.
I need bags, on a bit of a budget, but don't want universal fit. My work backpack is probably 40lbs, and that makes the seat feel even worse. So who makes good soft sided bags that for properly? Even if I have to put on support brackets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Congrats, Amplitude. Does the excitement of a new bike have you, um, modulating?

I'm with you in the drove-a-long-way-to-get-a-Versys club. I drove 1,300 miles each way to get my '08 in December of '08. The few Versi they brought to the US were long gone from dealers, but I found a used one with 2400 miles with a forum member in Florida and drove my truck from Massachusetts to go fetch it. Good thing I didn't ride it home...we had 36" of snow while I was gone!

Enjoy your new ride. Got some pix?
As long as we don't start arguing and lying about waveLENGTH.

As for pictures, it's red. For now. Thinking about leaving it two tone, but replacing the red with a pearl white. I think the metallic red might be bad luck for me. That was the Color of my two 06 FZ1 that I had.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the bike. You will enjoy it. I think there are quite a few soft bags out there that work. I bought the Nelson Rigg saddle bags for mine and use no supports on the V. Also have a CBR 250 which needed simple support bracket. I switch back and forth quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Almost exactly seven years since some idiot hospitalized, and almost killed me on my 600mi FZ1; I now finally have a new bike!
I live in Overland Park KS, and left at 4am on Saturday to pick up a 2011 Versys with 735miles at a non-Kawi dealership in Muskogee OK. I got it for $4300 out the door, loaded it up in the back of my truck, and headed home. Had about thirty minutes to ride it after unloading, then had to get ready for a wedding.
I wasn't planning on buying a bike this weekend, but when they accepted my cash offer over the phone on Friday, I figured that I'd have to be stupid to pass it up.
So far, I'm liking the bike allot! Yes I need to add and change some things to it, but it might as well be new, and at 6'2" seems exceptionally comfortable and easy to throw around. I'm trying to make a list of first mods, and any input would be appreciated.
Also, is it normal for the chain to sling oil on top of the muffler, and have it smell like burning? I wonder if the chain was over oiled at some point?
- switch to a dry chain lube that does not fling like Dupont Teflon Chain Saver
- suggest a Givi touring windscreen, makes the bike look better and provides improved wind protection
- suggest hard side bags or a top box
- SW-Motech engine bars are nice to have if there is even a remote chance you might drop the bike on its side

1 - 20 of 28 Posts