Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

Just bought secondhand 57 plated Versys GT. Didn't come with the original panniers, so I've had to buy new Givi V35's, but they look great..

I think I might have an issue that didn't come to light at purchase.

Bike runs fine, very responsive, great riding position.. However, when I've come to the end of a journey longer than 15 mins, I'm noticing an amount of coolant being dumped from the overflow pipe.

This has happened several times now. When in traffic last week, the temperature light came on. I moved off to find somewhere to stop, and the light went out, presumably as I was moving again and the rad was receiving an amount of cooling having not been in traffic any longer.

A fellow Versys owner has asked if the cooling fan is coming on - which it isn't. So there's clearly a problem; however..

Does the thermostat on the Versys control when the cooling fan kicks in ?
Or does the cooling fan have its own temperature sensor ?

I think I'm obviously gonna have to do some kind of fix - but don't want to start with the thermostat if it isn't linked to the cooling fan working..

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.. Many thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
:welcome: to the forum.

Don't know the answer to your question, but I'm pretty sure somewhere on the site there is a link to download the service manual. I'd bet the answer would be in there.

yes the fan not coming on is a serious problem. maybe as simple as a blown fuse?

It might be wise to post this in the technical issues forum as sometimes people don't read the "intro" forum?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Manual:

I was able to test my fan by unplugging it and jumpering it to fused battery leads. Crude, but was able to tell me the fan was burned out. There's a few fan threads here, and you can buy used fans off ebay and make them work. New OEM fans are very expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A very common problem with the Kaw 650 twins is a dirty seal on the radiator cap, which will allow pressure to escape, leading to lower temp boiling and too much overflow. It's a very small-volume system, so any little pressure leak has a noticeable effect.

Most guys just remove the cap (when the bike is cool) and clean up the seal, and it usually helps. Replacing the coolant is also a good idea, since the gunk on the seal had to come from somwhere.

·
Registered
901 Posts
If the cap trick doesn't work and the fan is functioning try back flushing the radiatorwith clean water....Then replace with new coolant....don't use tap water......buy 50/50 premix or get regular anti-freeze and use distilled water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks - i'll try the seal first thing tomorrow.

If it turns out it's the cooling fan - as that doesn't seem to come on at all - does anyone know if it's activated from the thermostat or a seperate temp switch ?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Many thanks - i'll try the seal first thing tomorrow.

If it turns out it's the cooling fan - as that doesn't seem to come on at all - does anyone know if it's activated from the thermostat or a seperate temp switch ?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
See Page 4-20 of that manual when you get home:
4-20 COOLING SYSTEM
Water Temperature Sensor
CAUTION
The water temperature sensor should never be allowed to fall on a hard surface. Such a shock to the
water temperature sensor can damage it.
Water Temperature Sensor Removal/Installation
•Refer to the Water Temperature Sensor Removal/Installation in the Fuel System (DFI) chapter.
Water Temperature Sensor [A]
Water Temperature Sensor Inspection
•Refer to the Water Temperature Sensor Inspection in the
Electrical System chapter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts