Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just another noob to this forum, recommended by a Versys owner I know (outdoorvtguy). I am just going to lurk & learn. :) I know that you folks have already covered all of the questions & concerns I might have... any threads you think I should read for common Versys wisdom, just point.

I purchased last June a 93 Honday Nighthawk 750 after a 20+ year break in riding ... rediscovered my love of riding & thinking of getting a 21st Century bike next year (maybe...but keeping the NH...growing very fond of that bike...it's my new happy place) I am not a super-hardcore-head-down-zoom-rocket-knee-scrapper nor not-happy-unless-covered-mud-adventure rider. Just a commuter-around-town rider with 150-300 mile trips around Vermont & Upstate NY on the weekends to unwind at a very moderate safe pace but hope to do some touring in the near future. Since last June I have only done about 10K miles, so I am not doing huge miles (probably because I live one mile from my office, so I just ride my bicycle) Occasional 2-up riding with me taking the kids to school events, etc... (we don't have a 2d car) I ride until there is ice & snow...on the roads...on the sides of roads, no biggie ;)

Currently, my short list is : BMW F650 GS, Suzuki V-Strom 650, and a Versys. I will most likely purchase a used bike (with two kids in college & another two right behind them, costs must be considered)

I pull my own wheels, wrench the easy stuff, adjust the chain, etc... my only mechanical concerns are the Versys value adjustments & the under-mounted exhaust (similar to the NH but the Versys muffler is exposed to the road directly)

No surprise to you all...I am drawn to the Versys high value at a moderate price balance it seems to provide along with a good supply of after-market goodies to tweak my configuration (hard bags, bash plates, crash bars, etc). My only concern is riding a fair amount of Vermont dirt roads (no trails or logging roads). But I do those roads on my Nighthawk with little worry or too much bother (remember I don't go fast, using only Metzler lasertec sport touring tires) When I hit the paved twisties, interstate or local highways, my NH goes just fine.

It would seem to me that the Versys is a high-value-budget-priced replacement for my standard upright posture, japanese universal standard bike. Sadly, no test rides in the near futures, the local dealer doesn't do it. (while the local BMW & HD do allow test rides...whatever that's cool...it's their business) I would try to hit the Kawasaki demo days...if they had them here in Vermont.

Did I mention? I think the Versys looks pretty cool. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
:welcome:Had a 02 650 cc BMW GS but sold it and got the Versys because the GS had 120,000km on it and was starting to cause $$$, test road a wee strom at the same time I test road my current V, found the strom just a bit top heavy but the V was so nimble and a blast around town or out on highways or in tight twisty country roads, have used my V 4 times on track days and have taken a lot of please passing a gixer on the outside of a corner. The versys in my view in its stock condition is nothing like the GS in the rough but it will handle light stuff okay.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
:welcome: Your short list sounds like a number of folks who "settled" on the V. I absolutely love mine and don't feel like I just settled for her.

You've probably seen this oldie but goodie:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Greetings, I have similar interest in riding style by the sounds of it, mabey if you can't test ride a versys the person who directed you to this forum outdoorvtguy could let you try his out for a few miles. Good luck on what ever you purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pointer to the video review.

Big shoutout & thanks to GlowCat13, El Tig, & Kiwi 41 for the welcome.

I won't be test riding anyone's bike for awhile. Pulled my hamstring riding yesterday (mishap caused by dorkiness) so my left leg is out of commission for a couple of days/weeks. (stuff happens) Gives me time to read & research the V forums & trip reports.

:D

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'll lead you to this ride report i found, for anyone doubting the V's offroad capabilities + the added bonus of the uber fun factor you get!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584496

Oh also WBW review where relate the V's handling capabilities to a Ducati Multistrada :D (mind you it's oooooold, but still relavent since bike manufacturers don't make many changes) http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycles/kawasaki-versys/

i'd recommend trying to find a dealer that has a used one, and test riding it...I did and had it in the drive less than a week later!

Cheers!:cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'll lead you to this ride report i found, for anyone doubting the V's offroad capabilities + the added bonus of the uber fun factor you get!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584496

Oh also WBW review where relate the V's handling capabilities to a Ducati Multistrada :D (mind you it's oooooold, but still relavent since bike manufacturers don't make many changes) http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycles/kawasaki-versys/

i'd recommend trying to find a dealer that has a used one, and test riding it...I did and had it in the drive less than a week later!

Cheers!:cheers:
Thanks for the great links! The link to a ADVRider trip report on his V was outstanding.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Careful of that test ride. I rode my brother's a couple times and that was it, I wanted one. Coming off a 2007 Yamaha FZ6, great bike, just not as "fun" as the Versys. The power of the Versys is so useable and the bike is a blast in the twisties. Needless to say, I now have this in my garage. Good luck.
DSCF0118.JPG

·
Registered
194 Posts
:welcome:

Go 4 it...:goodidea:

Low mile used Vs can be pick up at a reasonable price

You won't be sorry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts