Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday AM my odo sat at 99905, so, the day being "TERMINAL SUNNY" [NOT even ONE cloud in ANY direction!!!], I set out to make it to one hundred. My plan was to head S for 47.5 miles, then do a U-turn, and ride back, getting to 100 as I arrived back at my garage. Didn't QUITE work out that way, as it was just too good for riding. W/out delay here are a few pics I took:

IMG_1399 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1400 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1401 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1402 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1403 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1404 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1406 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Goes to show these Kawi 650 cc engine s are built tough.. Glad i have a Gen 1 ...
Many of these 650s, and Japanese engines in general are capable of 100,000 miles plus. The smaller displacement bikes tend not to be ridden a lot of miles per year for many to reach that before having age related or storage related issues.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...Great milestone to achieve. Especially on a 650.
If you JUST do the 'usual' maintenance, I'm pretty sure EVERY Japanese m'cycle could EASILY do it.

...Awesome; that's a testament to a great owner.
Thanks, but I'd put most of the achievement on Kawasaki. BOTH of my '62 Triumph 650s required at least a PARTIAL engine-rebuild before FIVE years old. LUCAS - 'prince-of-darkness', among other issues.

...Can't wait for pictures of the odometer at 200,000 miles! As others said, testament to a great bike and owner! Congrats.
Hm-m-m - let's do the math on that. Took me 13.5 years to achieve THAT milestone, riding 5 or 6 months/ year, and I'm presently 78. Somehow I do NOT think I'll still be riding at 92...!

OTOH - during the SAME time that I achieved the "hundred" HERE in AZ (from Sept '08 to now), I rode 93,341 miles on my two V650s in Canada, plus about 50K miles on my '04 KLR650 and another 30K miles on my '03 Bandit 1200S, so IF you'll accept my 'estimates' on the last two rides - that comes to a BIT more than from here-to-the-moon, or 273K miles. [I'm starting to think I need a 'break'...!]

(y)(y)

;)

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was the 'second-owner' on those two Triumphs, as well as the KLR650, which had 245 kms on it when I bought it. The original owner bought it to "ride w/ his son who was on a 125 MXer".

It took very little time for the realization that the 450 pound KLR will NOT 'run w/' a 200 pound MX bike, to "filter" into his brain!

·
Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
305 Posts
Yesterday AM my odo sat at 99905, so, the day being "TERMINAL SUNNY" [NOT even ONE cloud in ANY direction!!!], I set out to make it to one hundred. My plan was to head S for 47.5 miles, then do a U-turn, and ride back, getting to 100 as I arrived back at my garage. Didn't QUITE work out that way, as it was just too good for riding. W/out delay here are a few pics I took:

IMG_1399 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1400 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1401 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1402 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1403 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1404 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1406 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

(y)(y)

:cool:
Congratulations

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I WAS the first owner for all THREE V650s, the Yamaha TT500 and XS750, as well as the Bandit 1200 and Sachs Hercules 125.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your trip looks amazing! I have already prepared for my next trip too. I had problems with old camping gear so decided to buy new ones. Tent and electronics like trail camera found on big marketplace everest like amazon. I usually buy equipments on different special shops for camping.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats Ed! That is a great milestone. Did you take those photos along highway 79?
As a "matter-of-fact" Bill: SOME but NOT ALL. Those were taken along the road to the land-fill (off 79, west) about a few miles N of the Tom Mix Memorial.

Good to hear from you - I almost dropped in to see you this AM, after a medical procedure near Bell Rd E of AZ 51, at 0615, but as I got underway (in our 'cage') about 0700 heading home E across the top of Scottsdale, I realized that you two might be (PROBABLY!) asleep.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congratulations on 100k!!!! Amazing Machine!! What have you replaced other than general maintenance stuff? My 09 I just bought last year at 15k.
W/out going thru my "Versys Log-Book": by memory - I replaced both front brake-discs and brake shoes (but NOT rear ones); both sprockets and chains several times; headlight low-beams (I always move the high-beam bulb into the failed position, then the new bulb goes into high-beam; oil & filter each 5K miles; clutch-cable ONCE; electrical regulator and alternator (OEM is a SHUNT type, which means it is ALWAYS at 100% which is BAD!) replaced w/ a SERIES R/R; tires of course!; battery a few times; and that's about it. My '08 V650 is probably the MOST RELIABLE m'cycle I have EVER owned. (I have another in Canada, and that has ALSO had the SHUNT R/R replaced too.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
W/out going thru my "Versys Log-Book": by memory - I replaced both front brake-discs and brake shoes (but NOT rear ones); both sprockets and chains several times; headlight low-beams (I always move the high-beam bulb into the failed position, then the new bulb goes into high-beam; oil & filter each 5K miles; clutch-cable ONCE; electrical regulator and alternator (OEM is a SHUNT type, which means it is ALWAYS at 100% which is BAD!) replaced w/ a SERIES R/R; tires of course!; battery a few times; and that's about it. My '08 V650 is probably the MOST RELIABLE m'cycle I have EVER owned. (I have another in Canada, and that has ALSO had the SHUNT R/R replaced too.)
Would you have a link or any info about the SERIES R/R Regulator. Thanks Much!!, Tim

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts