Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all
Just registered this morning, I am the proud owner of 2006 Versys bought from Seastar Superbikes, Newton Flotman, Norfolk, UK., back in July 'mas ou menos'. I have had a few shortish rides on it, and am now itching to do some longer stuff. The performance, I don't need to tell you, is awesome. My riding style I have had to change because of the increased power but with it comes confidence, last time I went out 3 weeks ago, I took my motor engineer friend's advice, which was to 'wring it's neck and stop treating it like it's made of china, you wuss! otherwise it will glaze the bores and never reach it's full potential'. I don't advocate riding irresponsibly or illegally (honest) but with the torque and lowdown grunt, coupled with high speed throttle rolloffs, short shifting clutchless changes and prudent engine braking, the confidence I gained on that afternoon and I think a few rides before that was huge.
It came with Kawasaki hard luggage, which I find brilliant, not your Long Way Round grade but its more than adequate for me, and it doesn't weigh a lot!
One last thing, a question, anyone fitted the Kawasaki engine protectors (mushrooms) where do they go? what do you have to remove to fit them?
I'm stupid I know, but I can't see how.
Cheers, Julian.
PS. We've got ice on the roads day, it's hard to walk on them let alone motorcycle! J.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Welcome to the group and I think you will really enjoy the Versys on longer trips as well as short hops.

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to when you say "engine protectors". Are you referring to the bars that go around the engine?

You can do a search on here using key words such as "engine guard" and you will probably find someone that has already been down that road and can give you some guidance. Here's an example.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1557&highlight=engine+guards

Sorry about the riding conditions there. I live in Dallas Tx and this week we are having a winter storm and the temps are down in the upper 20's and it's too cold for me to ride. This is the first time this year as we normally have very mild winter here.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Welcome!!

If you want mushrooms, they replace the engine mount bolts. I think everyone would suggest you get some good guards from Hepco & Becker instead of the mushrooms. They work much, much better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I bought engine guards made by SW Motech and I'm very happy with them. The Hepco & Becker guards are also good. These bolt right on the frame and come with all the hardware and instructions required to put them on your bike. When you do the search as recommended above, you will find links to various sites for engine guards and see photos of the guards on bikes.

Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Welcome! It's always nice to get a female point of view.

You Brits certainly are tough, I wimp out riding at about the mid-40 degree F range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts