Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I will be 70 in December I figured it was time to start acting my age and get an OMB...Old Man Bike

I sold my 790 Duke and picked up a 2014 KLR 650 that only had 80 miles on it. That's right 80. Old guy bought it then hardly rode it due to health issues.

Sucker is really comfortable to ride and handles surprisingly well on the road. Have not had it off road much and will mainly stay on dirt roads or mellow trails just to connect one paved road to another.

Carbureted, no anti-skid brakes, and no bells or whistles. Super simple to work on. Can have all the plastic and gas tank off in less than 10 minutes. 6 gallon tank will yield about 300 miles range.

Maybe getting old is not so bad after all. Forget the rocking chair...just get a KLR.
Water Tire Wheel Cloud Sky
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Vehicle
Wheel Tire Plant Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
304 Posts
Since I will be 70 in December I figured it was time to start acting my age and get an OMB...Old Man Bike

I sold my 790 Duke and picked up a 2014 KLR 650 that only had 80 miles on it. That's right 80. Old guy bought it then hardly rode it due to health issues.

Sucker is really comfortable to ride and handles surprisingly well on the road. Have not had it off road much and will mainly stay on dirt roads or mellow trails just to connect one paved road to another.

Carbureted, no anti-skid brakes, and no bells or whistles. Super simple to work on. Can have all the plastic and gas tank off in less than 10 minutes. 6 gallon tank will yield about 300 miles range.

Maybe getting old is not so bad after all. Forget the rocking chair...just get a KLR.
View attachment 190184 View attachment 190185 View attachment 190186
Great pix and welcome back to team green! Geeze, nowhere even close to broken in yet. Hope she takes you on many fine adventures!

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
165 Posts
I looked at the KLR when doing research for bikes. The Versys is where I ended up at. The turn off for me was the doohickey on the KLR. So is it basically a requirement to fix this flaw that Kawasaki won't? This guy is suppose to be the Master

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at the KLR when doing research for bikes. The Versys is where I ended up at. The turn off for me was the doohickey on the KLR. So is it basically a requirement to fix this flaw that Kawasaki won't? This guy is suppose to be the Master
I just installed my doohickey 2 days ago.

You can tell that lots of "old guys" have KLR's by the names of the aftermarket products they invent for the bike. Names like Doohickey's and Thermo bob's. I installed a Thermobob the day before the doohickey. Now I am doohickey and thermobob compliant.

My KLR takes me back to my motorcycle roots. Back to the days of simplicity with out all the gee-wizz stuff of todays bikes. Stuff like lean angle traction control, launch control, anti-wheelie protection, lean angle ABS, quick shifter, normal mode, track mode, sport mode, rain mode, ECU's, and the list goes on and on.

Plus my KLR is EMP resistant. Should we endure an EMP attack all computerized vehicles will turn into Ford's...Found on Road Dead. But the trusty KLR will be just like a Timex watch. It will take a licking and keep on ticking.

How cool is that?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I just installed my doohickey 2 days ago.

You can tell that lots of "old guys" have KLR's by the names of the aftermarket products they invent for the bike. Names like Doohickey's and Thermo bob's. I installed a Thermobob the day before the doohickey. Now I am doohickey and thermobob compliant.

My KLR takes me back to my motorcycle roots. Back to the days of simplicity with out all the gee-wizz stuff of todays bikes. Stuff like lean angle traction control, launch control, anti-wheelie protection, lean angle ABS, quick shifter, normal mode, track mode, sport mode, rain mode, ECU's, and the list goes on and on.

Plus my KLR is EMP resistant. Should we endure an EMP attack all computerized vehicles will turn into Ford's...Found on Road Dead. But the trusty KLR will be just like a Timex watch. It will take a licking and keep on ticking.

How cool is that?
Unfortunately your KLR does have electronic ignition so not sure how EMP resistant it will be. At least you got the right color.

My 2008 was bought in 2008 from an MD who did every mod you could do to the bike to make it reliable, comfortable, handle well, and luggage for an Alaska trip he realized he wouldn't have time for so early in his career. Wish I would have kept it. There is no way I would do all those mods to a KLR myself.

·
Super Moderator
21,790 Posts
...This guy is suppose to be the Master
He IS!
BTW - there's enough room behind your radiator on the right-side to put a decent horn, like a WOLO from Harbor-Freight.

(y)(y)(y)

:D

Oh - and Bill Watson (the Thermobob man) is PDG too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts