Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experience this? When I am cruising at 40-45 mph, just before shifting to the next gear starting at 4k rpm, the bike goes on slight jerking motion, then subsides after I shift. Then it repeats until I shift again.:(

This happens in the middle gears then quiets down at 6th. I have a 2013, 17.5K miles. I have not had a valve adjustment, haven't checked the air filter... I need to adjust the slack in my chain. Could these be contributing factors?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yup adjust your chain, and check your tension along the chain's length to see how many tight and loose sections you have. I just replaced my chain and sprockets for this exact reason, although at 26000km, (original chain) mine was WAY worse, but the exact description OP listed. Get ready to change your chain and sprockets together.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Looks like you are on the right track. Sometimes if you hunt around, there are package deals where they include the sprockets/chain together.

Not sure if this saves anything over what you posted (I have been drinking :surprise:)

https://www.amazon.com/D-I-D-DKK-005-520VX2-Chain-Sprocket/dp/B00E0IK3LY

You asked about master link or rivet.... it's subject to opinion. I am fine using master clip-links on a 650. Others will have other opinions.

Do the rivet thing if you are comfortable with that.... or not..

Oh... lastly... some of us favor the rubber loaded front sprockets.... stock from Kawi. Others will say it don't matter.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The jerking motion lives...

I adjusted the chain slack, moved the rear tire a notch back, aligned the chain with the motion pro guide... rotated the wheel, good slack in most places, but had a tight spot. took it out for a short test ride and it's still there and there was a grinding noise to boot.

So I ordered the did chain, front and rear sprockets (15-46 combo). Arriving at the end of the month. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've begun having a similar problem on my 2008 with 27K miles. I know it's been a long time, but did you solve this problem? If so, how?

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
I've begun having a similar problem on my 2008 with 27K miles. I know it's been a long time, but did you solve this problem? If so, how?
Original drive chain and sprocket? Your solution is simply to replace chain and sprockets with new ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts