Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Just want to clarify, I think the mapping on the 3rd gear is what makes it janky. When I ride around town, Ive just found it easier to use 1st, 2nd, and 4th, 5th.and 6th gears. I just kind of skip 3rd gear and it makes for a smoother experience. 3rd gear kind of sucks on this bike to be honest.
Personally, I think you are trying to ride this bike like it is a 300cc thumper instead of a high revving sport bike engine. Maybe the new KLX300 would better suit your riding style?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Does the 300 have an O2 sensor? Just wondering if it isn't working properly, which would mess up the fueling. Possibly a loose or bad connector in the O2 circuit. A bad O2 sensor is unlikely, but something in the wiring for the sensor could cause such a problem.

Weak throttle response is one thing, but herky-jerky is something different. At 3000 rpm it won't be lugging, which only happens at idle or sub-idle rpms.

After my experience with the split vacuum line from the factory, I am not so quick to jump on the bandwagon of that's just the way the V300 is. I got all the same kinds of responses on my threads as this one, and I just lived with it until one day the line split worse and the bike became unrideable.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Does the 300 have an O2 sensor? Just wondering if it isn't working properly, which would mess up the fueling. Possibly a loose or bad connector in the O2 circuit. A bad O2 sensor is unlikely, but something in the wiring for the sensor could cause such a problem.

Weak throttle response is one thing, but herky-jerky is something different. At 3000 rpm it won't be lugging, which only happens at idle or sub-idle rpms.

After my experience with the split vacuum line from the factory, I am not so quick to jump on the bandwagon of that's just the way the V300 is. I got all the same kinds of responses on my threads as this one, and I just lived with it until one day the line split worse and the bike became unrideable.
If the O2 sensor was bad the FI light should be lit.

You can definitely lug a bike if trying to throttle at low RPMs. On the 300 in higher gears 3000 rpms is too low for accelerating. Remember this isn't the 650 and the 650 doesn't even like to accelerate from 3000 in 5th and 6th. Many people ride these little ninja engines at way too low an RPM and then complain about them. They are meant to be ridding in the top half of the RPM range after you get going.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had similar experiences on my X300 regarding jerkiness.... It's hard to describe (as it became obvious in this post), but for me it happens mostly trying to do delicate stuff off-rad. That means slow (2nd/3rd gear) obstacle avoidance. I do get this on-off feeling and it rather hard for me to dose correctly using only the throttle.

After reading this post and also through my own observation, it all just might be a combination of the bike (it's not an actual 2stroke single trail bike) and the fact that I, as a rider have to be more accurate with throttle and clutch use in these situations.

·
Registered
Vx300
67 Posts
I’ve not noticed any difference in 3rd, or any other gear. Engine doesn’t respond well being loaded below 4-5k. That was very noticeable when I first got the bike. Had a 16t front sprocket from previous owner. It’s much less an issue with the 14t that I’ve since installed. I just try to avoid heavily loading the engine below those rpms or downshift. Very easy to blow thru low rpms with that low 1st gear. Off the line, it’s just fine. I’m trying the 15t next since he gave me one with the bike. If I like it, I’ll eventually put a stock 14 back on and drop to 43t in the back with a new chain, maybe after next season.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would suggest an 02 Eliminator, replacing the 02 sensor, or simply reflash or PC the bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 27 of 27 Posts