Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and saw a thread from 2009 related to this, not sure how relevant it is 3 years later though. I'm 6'3 170lbs and struggling to find a jacket that fits. Does anyone have any pointers? Or better yet, does anyone know any sites that have a return policy where I can order something, have it shipped to me, try it on, and if it doesn't fit I can return it for free? That would be awesome but I can't seem to find return policies on a lot of sites.

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Also try www.motorcyclegear.com which has useful product descriptions above and beyond what is provided by the manufacturer. You can also call motorcyclegear at 806-832-5190 (press 1 for apparel) and talk to a real human being (who probably rode a motorcycle to work) for suggestions.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have a similar problem. I received a very nice Technica jacket from my son in law. He hurt himself at work and now my daughter won't let him ride anymore. I have to work on that once he gets healthy again. In the meantime I have his killer riding jacket. Only problem is he is 6'4" 250lbs and I'm 5'11" 185lbs. I plan on taking it to a tailor and see what he could do to tighten it up a bit for me. I'll let you how it works out. If it's not too expensive (presuming it is possible to begin with..).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tailoring is definitely possible, my uncle did it recently. The question is really how much it costs. I'll have to ask him next time I see him

·
Registered
419 Posts
Revzilla has a good return policy as well as the aforementioned Motorcycle Gear. I can personally vouch for MG, and hearsay on Revzilla is very positive. Revzilla also has videos for most of their gear, and they usually include a sizing breakdown.

Regarding specific gear, the European manufacturers are a good place to start as they generally have a slimmer fit. Start with Alpinestars, Rev'It, and Dainese. Spidi may also be an option; don't know much about them, though. I'm not quite as tall (6'0") and nearly as skinny (165) as you are, and the Astars jacket I picked up this spring is as good a fit as I've been able to find so far. That was an M; a summer jacket of theirs also fit well, but in L.

[EDIT] Seeing as you're in NJ, you could probably go to the Revzilla retail store. It's in Philadelphia.

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
any european brand is going to suit you well, i would recommend dianese or Rev'it! (i use Rev'it!)

they are generally made for more slender body types. Whereas Olympia or First Gear are made for more america body types, large and round.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What's your suit size? I've got an Acerbis Matrix- it's black, in great shape, just washed in Nikwax and waterproofed. It's branded as an XL, but I'm a 42L and it fits almost perfectly. I bought a new First Gear and don't need it anymore. 3-layer system, outer jacket, waterproof liner, insulator. $100 shipped?
Here's a review:
http://www.motorcycle.com/products/acerbis-matrix-touring-jacketpant-3598.html

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input. I think I've pretty much made up my mind, I really like the Icon Motorhead in black/green (http://rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=3428&id=11944&rank=120). Obviously I wouldn't order from their store. RidersDiscount has it for a good price and that's most likely the avenue I'm going to take. I just with I could exchange it for free if it doesn't fit (have to pay shipping :( )

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I think I've pretty much made up my mind, I really like the Icon Motorhead in black/green (http://rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=3428&id=11944&rank=120). Obviously I wouldn't order from their store. RidersDiscount has it for a good price and that's most likely the avenue I'm going to take. I just with I could exchange it for free if it doesn't fit (have to pay shipping :( )
If you go with Riders Discount call or e-mail them. We get a forum discount.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not bad. If (ever) my motoport gear needs to be replaced...

However, a quick read doesn't indicate if the 'SuperFabric' can be repaired. So, unlike my mesh Kevlar gear, if I damage it, it can be repaired while the Teiz stuff would be a total loss. But hey, that's what insurance is for ;)

Not trying to :stickpoke:, just an observation. And for all I know, it can be repaired which makes my point pointless :D

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
Not bad. If (ever) my motoport gear needs to be replaced...

However, a quick read doesn't indicate if the 'SuperFabric' can be repaired. So, unlike my mesh Kevlar gear, if I damage it, it can be repaired while the Teiz stuff would be a total loss. But hey, that's what insurance is for ;)

Not trying to :stickpoke:, just an observation. And for all I know, it can be repaired which makes my point pointless :D

They have a Thread on the Two Wheeled Texan Forum. So there should be some good info on it.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57191

·
Registered
129 Posts
Also try www.motorcyclegear.com which has useful product descriptions above and beyond what is provided by the manufacturer. You can also call motorcyclegear at 806-832-5190 (press 1 for apparel) and talk to a real human being (who probably rode a motorcycle to work) for suggestions.
+1 on the motorcyclegear people. :thumb:

Have used them for years. Good customer service, & good about returns/exchanges.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Revzilla, and have been unbelievably impressed by their customer service. Before moving to Philly, I ordered online and was able to return things for no charge (I think they may even cover return shipping). Now that I'm in Philly, I just head to the shop :).

As for gear, I'm 6'4" and 180lbs so ran into the same problem as you when trying to buy gear. Cost was a concern for me so Revit was out. I read a bunch of great reviews on the Firstgear Kilimanjaro, but I felt like I was swimming in it. However, the Firstgear Kathmandu is a very similar jacket and is made for tall slender people. I have a large tall and find it to fit perfectly. It has a removable liner and I'm able to wear it from about 20 degrees F all the way up to 80-85 degrees. It does get hot at times, but there are a decent amount of vents. For the price, I couldn't find anything that beat it and fit as good.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the pointers guys. I ended up getting an XL Icon Motorhead from RidersDiscount (forum discount was mmm mmm good!) and it fits great. Picture below.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts