Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stuck stuck stuck! Its happend before but this time I sprayed silicon spray in that sucker and it still won’t open. taped it a bit with a rubber mallet and nada. anyone have any recommendations on how to get this thing open...or maybe even a aftermarket system?

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
stuck stuck stuck! Its happend before but this time I sprayed silicon spray in that sucker and it still won’t open. taped it a bit with a rubber mallet and nada. anyone have any recommendations on how to get this thing open...or maybe even a aftermarket system?
Did you try using the key instead of a mallet?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
179 Posts
Probably not your idea of a "gas saver", eh? At least you're not using any gas, right? :D

What exactly is the gas cap doing? It it a problem with the lock? How old is the bike and how many miles does it have? Do you store it in a garage or is it exposed to the elements? There was another thread about a leaking gas cap, the smell of gas, and possible overfilling of the tank. My '10 has had none of those problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I noticed several months back that mine was getting difficult to open, so I started giving it a shot of P' Blaster (similiar to WD-40) every time I lube the chain, and works very well. Apparently moisture gets under the cap and causes the tumblers to bind up if not lubed. Supposed to use a dry graphite powder for keys, but oh well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I lube mine with a little Honda molly 60 gear lube and a shot of wd40 to thin it out .Works great . hope it helps. Ride safe

·
Registered
842 Posts
Steel Key

You can also get a steel key so it won't break off in the lock.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I hit mine with the same Dupont Teflon lube I use on my chain each time I lube the chain, in fact I hit all my bags locks, all pivot points and the clutch cable each time too. Its a good practice to get into.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use a regular drop or two of Rem Oil. Get it at a sporting goods/gun dealer. Good stuff. Never have had any of the problems that you described.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Your not suposed to use any liquid in the key hole but if worst comes to worst whatever works. There are some aftermarket caps out there but you lose your locking function. Not a big loss if your not worried about someone jacking with you.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I had an issue like this once my key would not turn. What i did was removed the allan screws around the gas cap ring which alowed me to move the cap around A little, and for some reason this worked. mabey my cap was a little cockeyed or something that jamned the lock up or something. screwed it all back together been fine since. my cap might have become this way when unfortunitly I dropped the bike in A dirt parking lot A few days before I had the problem. I had tried wd40 and the dupont stuff I use on my chain unsuccsefully before removing the screws. Good luck.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You're not supposed to use a fluid lubricant in locks as it will attract grit and make the situation worse.

I had similar problems until I started putting a puff of graphite powder into the lock holes every few months. This is what locksmiths use.
All my locks turn as smooth as glass.

·
Registered
745 Posts
You're not supposed to use a fluid lubricant in locks as it will attract grit and make the situation worse.

I had similar problems until I started putting a puff of graphite powder into the lock holes every few months. This is what locksmiths use.
All my locks turn as smooth as glass.
When I went to the locksmith to have a key made for the versys I asked what is the best lubricant to use . He told not to use graphite anymore and recommended houdini lubricant. http://www.armstronglock.com/product_info.php?products_id=150

seems to be working well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
after drowning it in silicone lube and removing the Allen screws and banging it will a rubber mallet i finally got it open. gona try taking it apart and see if i can clean it up. at least i was able to fill er up!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts