Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a great forum and I doubt there is a better cyber group anywhere. I'll miss being part of the Frey. After a short while away from BMW I realized I had lost the urge to go to the garage and just stare at my bikes. Reminded me the joy of ownership is comprised of two components 1) How the machine works for you and 2) How the machine makes you feel. The Versys is a great bike but for some reason my heart just didn't go pitter patter. So now I've traded the little V and am back to slurping the BMW Kool-Aid. I just took delivery of a new 2010 R1200GSA with all options but stability control. I'd like to still hang out if you'll have me. I've attached a stock photo of my exact bike (over a foot of snow on the ground here in Michigan so not great weather for a photo shoot) so you guys can keep an eye out for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm new around here, but I'd say hang around all you want! I don't particularly care what someone rides, but rather that they ride. Your analysis of the pride of ownership is well said.

Beautiful bike by the way, did you look at a 30th Anniversary Ed? I covet one of them, but am not in a position to pop for one just yet, one in college and one on the way!

Stay in touch, and we'll see you out on the road.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm new around here, but I'd say hang around all you want! I don't particularly care what someone rides, but rather that they ride. Your analysis of the pride of ownership is well said.

Beautiful bike by the way, did you look at a 30th Anniversary Ed? I covet one of them, but am not in a position to pop for one just yet, one in college and one on the way!

Stay in touch, and we'll see you out on the road.
Thanks ZG. The Anniversary GS Adventures are pretty scarce these days. That's what I would have gotten if I could have found one. I did consider a Anniversary GS (non-adventure) that my dealer had in stock. In the end, I wanted back on a big adventure so they gave me a fair deal on their last 2010. I'm happy. :clap:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Now you and Charlie&Ewan can hang together (Long Way Around). Glad for you, and it is a sweet ride. I too, could not spring for one of those but I like em alot.
Stick around and share in the stories all you want.
Ride far my friend.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That is awesome, and as said you gotta go with what moves you. Different colors and flavors, it is all good. There is a lot to be said about "you don't know what you got until it's gone". Enjoy the new BMW, a very nice machine indeed (when the snow melts that is!):thumb:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I'll probably start riding when the snow melts in late March/early April. However, my first "trip" in the spring will be a loop around Lake Superior. I'll head to Copper Harbor (the Northern most point in Michigan's upper peninsula), then through Wisconsin, Minnesota and up to Thunder Bay in Ontario. I'll follow Superior to the Canadian Sioux. Then back down to Michigan and toward home. The trip could be done in 3 or 4 days of hard riding. I'll take 7-10 and smell the roses. Anyone who would like to join is welcome. I'm planning it for late May/early June.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
That's quite a rig. By all means stick around.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Great looking bike. Only thing i dislike is the spoked wheels. Hang around and post some more photos when you get a chance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great looking bike. Only thing i dislike is the spoked wheels. Hang around and post some more photos when you get a chance.
LOL. Spokes are standard on the GS Adventure. On the GS cast wheels are standard and spokes are an option that cost $500. To some they don't look as nice but spokes are much stronger than cast wheels.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Which would come in handy for me with a 600 pound beast off road! I've seen Long Way Around, and Ewan dropped it on several occasions. So would I.
I have no aspirations to ride the "Beast" in dirt bike territory. She'll primarily spend her life on the road less traveled - with road being the operative word. May see an occasional fire road but the will be the extent of it (probably won't run into Charlie or Ewan where I'll be adventuring). I chose the GSA for it's touring capability, fuel range, versatility and overall competence. This is my fifth GS and they just seem to work for me (actually been riding them since before they were cool :)).

·
Registered
203 Posts
You traitor; don't let the door hit your a55 on the way out!

Just kidding of course...

I looked at a R1200 a while back but since I take my Versys down gravel roads I just couldn't justify spending that much on a bike I might drop. Whatever suits you, it's your money... LOL. Kidding again. I might get rid of the Versys some day in exchange for whatever large BMW "dual purpose" is available but for now I'm happy with the little Kawasaki.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Nice ride. Two wheels are good wheels. I'd really like to get the new Tiger 800xc one day, in addition to my Versys, whcih is so cheap to own and fun in the twisties I'll be hanging onto it.

Those GSA 1200's are bitchen bikes.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Im not jealous of the bike, Im jealous of the fact you have garage space and time for 3 bikes. I used to own 2 but with under 2000 miles a year I just couldn't justify the hassle. BMW swingarms are absolutely beautiful. Nice pic.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I covet one of them, but am not in a position to pop for one just yet, one in college and one on the way!
Wow, you have them kind of spread out!

·
Registered
320 Posts
This is a great forum and I doubt there is a better cyber group anywhere. I'll miss being part of the Frey. After a short while away from BMW I realized I had lost the urge to go to the garage and just stare at my bikes. Reminded me the joy of ownership is comprised of two components 1) How the machine works for you and 2) How the machine makes you feel. The Versys is a great bike but for some reason my heart just didn't go pitter patter. So now I've traded the little V and am back to slurping the BMW Kool-Aid. I just took delivery of a new 2010 R1200GSA with all options but stability control. I'd like to still hang out if you'll have me. I've attached a stock photo of my exact bike (over a foot of snow on the ground here in Michigan so not great weather for a photo shoot) so you guys can keep an eye out for me.
You suck immense amounts of ass. This is me very...Jealous! Nice bike!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. I'll be checking in now and again. No takers so far for the Superior trip but I'll report back so you guys know what you missed. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts