Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UUUUGH! It's October 1st in Michigan and the leaves are changing and falling to the ground. This morning it was 42° on my way to work at 6:30. Needless to say the cool weather sucks for the hands, but man what a ride its going to be after work at 3:30 when its 69° and sunny. Only have about 4 more weeks of safe riding to do on these streets, it is going to be hard to put the V away until next year. My only regret for buying the V, I bought it in May and got my endorsement in June so I had a short riding season....I suppose I could get out my orange hunters suit and continue to ride, oh did I mention black ice....dangnabbit!:usa:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I hear you! :eek: Enjoy while we can. Just did a ride with a bud and his bikes battery went out so we had to go straight home 100 miles I followed him.

Was a great ride but we missed lunch and river stops! :mad:

But what a ride! Don't know if I'll make top of the world and the park again. Time is closing in fast! :eek:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Here in Quebec we can only legally ride between March 15th and December 15th. I usually stop riding early December. The reason is simple, all vehicules must have winter-certified tires. And they make none for bikes, so by default it's illegal to ride during winter...but I do stretch my riding season as much as I can, that's why I installed handguards and heated grips :)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I park mine when the "Snow Flies and the Salt falls" as a bud says. Salt will eat a bike before you know it. And I happen to like both my "V" and KLR to much to kill them like that.

I know the Ural Pilots talk of spraying down the ride with PAM and dropping into 2 wheel drive BUT there's a whole lot of steel on a Ural and not much ALU other than the motor.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. I'm on the other side of the state from you and we had our first frost a week and a half ago. I decided to cage it that morning and actually had to scrap the windshield. I never remember having to do that in Sept. EVER. Signs are looking to a doozy of a overdue winter this year...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
UUUUGH! It's October 1st in Michigan and the leaves are changing and falling to the ground. This morning it was 42° on my way to work at 6:30. Needless to say the cool weather sucks for the hands, but man what a ride its going to be after work at 3:30 when its 69° and sunny. Only have about 4 more weeks of safe riding to do on these streets, it is going to be hard to put the V away until next year. My only regret for buying the V, I bought it in May and got my endorsement in June so I had a short riding season....I suppose I could get out my orange hunters suit and continue to ride, oh did I mention black ice....dangnabbit!:usa:
Yeah I hear ya. I'm on the other side of the state from you and we had our first frost a week and a half ago. I decided to cage it that morning and actually had to scrap the windshield. I never remember having to do that in Sept. EVER. Signs are looking to a doozy of a overdue winter this year...
Summer was great in Michigan though this year, we are going to pay dearly for it soon though I have a feeling. :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
I hopefully have another month or two in Wisconsin. All wired up and ready to roll. . . . . Until the salt flies, which could be a while, with the never ending drought.

·
Registered
770 Posts

You can ride comfortably down to 32F with heated jacket liner and gloves + jacket and insulated motorcycle pants

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our suffering is the heat in Texas.Over 100 degrees in gear is impossible for me.We have cool winters and some cold days.But i usually ride 2 to 3 days a week at least through the winter.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You know is fall in CO.

When the snow guns are firing in the mountains
You turn on the heat in the morning and the AC in the afternoon

Forecast for the front range today sunshine and a high of 81, late night early evening tomorrow low of 33F and snow

If you don't like the weather in CO just wait a day. it will change.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
A co-worker of mine ride all year long! Commuting, On a BMW Flat-3.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just had the first day since probably early April that the weather truly prevented me from riding to work. 33F and big, heavy flakes of snow being driven at 30+ mph. But it could still be 80 in a week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My riding season got cut short in august ... ripped my left bicep off my lower arm.
still recovering ... was told by the docs to not lift anything and cause the wife was in the room with me, no motorcycles for the rest of the year. :(

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yesterday I went out for lunch under clear skies and temp around 80F. The ride home at 6:30 PM was across 30 - 40 MPH winds and temp in the mid low 40's. This morning when I left the house it was 34F. Did not have a chance to look for the heated glove liners last night so I drove to work. I need to find them today.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I tried heated gloves last year...not for me. The cables are always a hassle, and the heat wasnt overwhelming. The best and most practical is a simple pair of Oxford heated grips (about 190$ installed) and handguards to keep the wind off your hands. Gloves can seem cheaper, but I ended up sending mine back, was really disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
19,018 Posts
Yesterday I added 356 kms (221 miles) to the Green Hornet's odometer. Overnight low temp was -3C (around 27F), and I was on-the-road by 9AM, my 12V jacket liner ON and plugged IN. I kept the warmth on for the whole ride, till I returned near 4PM.

:thumb:

:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here in Quebec we can only legally ride between March 15th and December 15th. I usually stop riding early December. The reason is simple, all vehicules must have winter-certified tires. And they make none for bikes, so by default it's illegal to ride during winter...but I do stretch my riding season as much as I can, that's why I installed handguards and heated grips :)
Thumbs up on the heated grips and handguards but you should move to Ontario as we have no such restrictive laws and therefore I get to enjoy the odd early february ride to my local Timmies for a double double. ;)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I use heated glove liners. The cables are a PITA but they worked very well. Never have to set them more than half power. Even at temps in the low 30's. I'll need them tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Riding weather is finally here in Phoenix. High's are just 90-95 and lows mid 60's. The best weather is just around the corner. Can't wait to get on my bike and not worry about my body temperature causing me to pass out at a long traffic light and then frying on the pavement waiting for the ambulance. Come on COOL weather!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts