Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a two hour ride today and I don't think I broke my record for the coldest temps I've ridden in but I think I came close. My outside temp gauge said 20F/-6C. Glad I made the investment in the heated liner. What's the coldest you've ridden in?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It was 14 last week here in colorado. It was still bareable but I wouldn't go for more then a half an hour without a heted liner in that temp.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nice pics of your bike. It was in the low 20's and very windy here today. I shoveled the snow off my sidewalk and the wind blew it right back. I'd like to go for a little ride this weekend even if it's just over town to top off my gas tank. All the people around here are wimps. Once it gets below about 50 you never see any bikes out here. People think I'm crazy when I take my bike out when it's cold. The problem in my area is ice. Going up and down below freezing the snow melts and turns to ice.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My commiseration to you Ocean and the rest of you up north. Not to rub it in, but we're having highs around 70 where I live in NM at present, (although the night time lows are in the mid 30s). :)

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
It was -21 C (-5.8 F) here this morning... November 6th was my last day when it went up to 17.6 C (63.7 F), which is unusually late in the year. So I just have to wait at least till end of March. It gives me lotsa time to take suspension apart and grease it, replace fork oil, do some exhaust porting, build a custom magnaflow/Yoshimura silencer for my Muzzy exhaust, etc. I just have to wait over four months to see how it sounds and runs, and how it does on the dyno...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice pics of your bike. It was in the low 20's and very windy here today. I shoveled the snow off my sidewalk and the wind blew it right back. I'd like to go for a little ride this weekend even if it's just over town to top off my gas tank. All the people around here are wimps. Once it gets below about 50 you never see any bikes out here. People think I'm crazy when I take my bike out when it's cold. The problem in my area is ice. Going up and down below freezing the snow melts and turns to ice.
Jim, that's the problem is those ice patches. Riding in this weather presents new challenges. The greatest being that drivers don't expect a lunatic on a motorcycle this time of year. Just a 1/2 hour ride makes all the difference to me. If I can get that in then I'm happy. I'll ride until the roads get full of snow, ice and sand and then I'll put the bike away. One year I was able to ride to the end of January. Last year I wasn't that lucky - I had to put the bike up at the end of November and there just wasn't any good days left until spring to ride. That was tough.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was 14 last week here in colorado. It was still bareable but I wouldn't go for more then a half an hour without a heted liner in that temp.
Skibum, +1 on that heated liner. I need the heated gloves, too. The snomobile gloves I'm using are only good down to 32F/0C. After that my fingers start to tingle.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My commiseration to you Ocean and the rest of you up north. Not to rub it in, but we're having highs around 70 where I live in NM at present, (although the night time lows are in the mid 30s). :)
Miguelito, this is your riding time - in the summer it just get's too hot, right? Keep us up to date on riding and send plenty of pics of sunshine and blue skies. It's cold temps and grey skies until spring around here.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was -21 C (-5.8 F) here this morning... November 6th was my last day when it went up to 17.6 C (63.7 F), which is unusually late in the year. So I just have to wait at least till end of March. It gives me lotsa time to take suspension apart and grease it, replace fork oil, do some exhaust porting, build a custom magnaflow/Yoshimura silencer for my Muzzy exhaust, etc. I just have to wait over four months to see how it sounds and runs, and how it does on the dyno...

Invader, I enjoyed those warm temps while we had them, too. Today, snow isn't predicted and if the roads are clear - I'll go out again. You always have plenty to do on your bike - can't wait to see pics and hear about the results of your latest modifications. Always a good read from you.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Bear, don't tell me you've put your bike up for the winter in TEXAS! Unless you're doing what bear's do in the winter - hybernate.

Nah, our bad weather is short-termed & sporadic, so no hibernation necessary. Call me a fair weather pilot...

:D

By the way, its foggy & 59 degrees f (what key is the little circle for 'degrees' anyway??) right now with the threat of rain. Its supposed to hit a high of 71 a little later & hopefully it wont rain. I'll probably take a short ride then.

:thumb:

·
Registered
716 Posts
" Miguelito, this is your riding time - in the summer it just get's too hot, right? "
Not quite amigo. It's all about elevation here in the SW USA. In the summer I ride up in the mountains. I can gain 4700 ft. in altitude in a 25 minute ride from my door. That equates to about a 15 to 20 degree, (F), drop in daytime temperature. Even down low it's not too bad as long as you're moving, and have a mesh jacket. Wintertime we stay down lower except for mid day. The trade off is that the lower elevation rides are generally less entertaining, (fewer twisties). Here are some of the summer rides:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1119
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1816

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
" Miguelito, this is your riding time - in the summer it just get's too hot, right? "
Not quite amigo. It's all about elevation here in the SW USA. In the summer I ride up in the mountains. I can gain 4700 ft. in altitude in a 25 minute ride from my door. That equates to about a 15 to 20 degree, (F), drop in daytime temperature. Even down low it's not too bad as long as you're moving, and have a mesh jacket. Wintertime we stay down lower except for mid day. The trade off is that the lower elevation rides are generally less entertaining, (fewer twisties). Here are some of the summer rides:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1119
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1816
You got me - what a ride! Nice pics, thanks! Keeps me hopeful waiting for next spring.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nah, our bad weather is short-termed & sporadic, so no hibernation necessary. Call me a fair weather pilot...

:D

By the way, its foggy & 59 degrees f (what key is the little circle for 'degrees' anyway??) right now with the threat of rain. Its supposed to hit a high of 71 a little later & hopefully it wont rain. I'll probably take a short ride then.

:thumb:
Bear,

You are right about the sporadic nature of our bad weather here. Today was perfect for riding. Last week it was pretty cold (for San Antonio) lows in the upper 30°s, but highs in the 60° to 70° range.

The code for the degree symbol is Alt+0176.

This week looks good except for Thanksgiving and the day after.

Keep riding,

Monte

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Yea, i rode to work today (whopping 6 miles! Look out iron butters!). It was great on the way home. I had crap to do or I would've taken the LONG way home. I'm hoping to ride on friday.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Must be pretty dang nice being down in wide open Texas... I bet it's pretty dry too. Are you at high elevations? Any bugs out there? How about swamp or bush? Do you have to watch out for coyotes, rolling hay balls and such?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts