Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fires out near Opal, Alberta, Canada.

It wasn't too smokey out there today, although the wind may have had something to do with that :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty bad. Winter had a late start this year and, at the end of it, the snow seemed to vanish overnight. This whole region has had several years of drought conditions, which has left it very vulnerable to such fires...it's actually quite mind boggling that this hasn't happened sooner. Very unfortuante.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/5881482-alberta-wildfire-atv-likely-culprit

Hmmm... they think an ATV was likely the culprit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Banack,
Thanks for the reply, interesting article re: problems/conflicts with ATV's. We have our share of those problems down here too!

Down in this country, southern UT and northern AZ, we had well above normal precipitation this past winter. I guess that's the way it goes when El Nino "comes to town". The northwest is dry and the southwest gets extra wet.

I hope you guys can avoid any more of these disasters, I hope you get some rain this summer!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Bob,

Indeed, we are in need of a good, wet year. Good to hear you guys are getting above your normal precipitation levels, hopefully it lasts. I am guessing the fire out near Opal was a bit worse due to the lack of frequent forest fires, resulting in a huge amount of fuel loading. It appears as though they have the fire near Opal under more control than they previously did, but they are still fearful of it rising up again (there are currently a lot of underground fires).

Ah, speaking of AZ, my parents are heading down there sometime in the next month to purchase a house, although I'm not sure what part of AZ they are looking in. I'm sure I'll be down there sometime (especially when it's -30 celcuis here!) and will drop you a line.

All the best!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey Bob,

Indeed, we are in need of a good, wet year. Good to hear you guys are getting above your normal precipitation levels, hopefully it lasts. I am guessing the fire out near Opal was a bit worse due to the lack of frequent forest fires, resulting in a huge amount of fuel loading. It appears as though they have the fire near Opal under more control than they previously did, but they are still fearful of it rising up again (there are currently a lot of underground fires).

Ah, speaking of AZ, my parents are heading down there sometime in the next month to purchase a house, although I'm not sure what part of AZ they are looking in. I'm sure I'll be down there sometime (especially when it's -30 celcuis here!) and will drop you a line.

All the best!
Banack,
As your parents know, right now is an excellent time to buy a house in AZ, with the current economy, it's definitely a buyer's market.

Definitely let me know when you head down here, I live in St. George, UT and we have excellent, nearly year round riding around here!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts