Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Folks,

Hope the weather is warming up wherever you might be reading this from. Wanted to check in on an older issue that I never quite got sorted. When I come to a stop often I'll look down to see my tach reading a high idle, around 2000, sometimes higher but never above 3k. Anyways, I've realized that if I put the bike in neutral the engine will drop back down to the manual recommended 1,300 rpm. I don't think that the high idle is particularly harmful and it is easy enough for me to pause for a second in neutral as I'm coming to a stop so I don't have to change gears while at the light but ... I'd really love to know what's causing the issue. It won't be solved by adjusting idle screw or lubing my throttle cables, I've already tried that -- but even more than a solution to the problem I really would just like to know what's going on. Any clue?

Second issue I am bumping into... When I go to adjust the rear suspension I am totally unable to. I've read the manual, I've watched people do it on YouTube, I've got the right tool you need for my '08 650 but no matter how hard I tug (in either direction!) nothing wants to budge. I had one of my buff guy friends come and try on the offhand chance the solution was literally just brute force but that didn't work either. Has anyone run into this sort of issue before? Is there some switch I need to be flipping somewhere or something obvious I'm not doing? I've looked at a different post where people recommended WD-40 or silicon spray under the turn knob. Do you think that might help? I've got WD-40 on hand, could go find some Si spray...

Thanks for all the help! <3
~Hannah

·
Super Moderator
20,276 Posts
Hannah - I seem to remember using an additional jack UNDERNEATH the muffler on my '08 and '09 V650s to UNLOAD the rear shock to make adjustments.

VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU ENSURE THAT THE BIKE WON'T FALL OVER IF YOU DO THAT, USING OTHER LIFT DEVICES.

P6011075 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

As you can see in this pic, the bike is supported on a rear pit-stand, as well as a 2 x 4 support under the crash-bars while I 'serviced' the forks.

forks off:stem stand copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

This is a pic of using the jack to PARTIALLY support the weight ('unloading' the shock) which is ALL you need to do, NOT raise the bike TOTALLY!

jack-adaptor3 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

HOPE this helps you some....

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The high idle is some kind of sensor feeding info to the ECU (electronics module). I am not smart enough to guess which one, but I would think related to the air intake rather than throttle position. You could try disconnecting then reconnecting every connector you can find. It may be smart to disconnect the battery first, to prevent damaging the ECU.

Jmho, WD40 or silicone spray should be safe to use on the rear adjuster.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You are talking about the stair step ring right? I used a Lock Nut Wrench found on home depot's website to adjust mine. It's not the right tool, but it gives me the leverage to adjust that piece.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My 2015 has been experiencing a similar high-idle situation on occasion. It's a minor thing, but annoying. I've eliminated any mechanical issues such as cable routing, etc. so I'll be looking at the ambient air temp sensor first (which will probably be OK since I never guess right on the first try), and then pretty much anything that feeds into the ECU like Fly-Sig suggested, with particular attention to connectors and any vacuum hoses.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
My 2015 has been experiencing a similar high-idle situation on occasion. It's a minor thing, but annoying. I've eliminated any mechanical issues such as cable routing, etc. so I'll be looking at the ambient air temp sensor first (which will probably be OK since I never guess right on the first try), and then pretty much anything that feeds into the ECU like Fly-Sig suggested, with particular attention to connectors and any vacuum hoses.
It is a ECU thing, I have proven it. Doing 80 KM / HR , pull in the clutch and release the throttle. Expect to see 2000 RPM, you can let the clutch out, and unless you have droped more than 10KM / HR it will remain at 2000 RPM. Next at 80 start to do some engine braking, it will settle at 1500 RPM, something in the ECU with maintained RPM above 2500 RPM, the fueling stays high until engine braking occurs, or you let the clutch out at a much slower speed.
This occurred before the flash and remains the same after the flash. If you are doing a emergency stop without engine braking, this is where you need to pay attention, that idle will be at 2000 RPM, if you haven't noticed.

Reactions: Doug Just Doug

·
Registered
530 Posts
It is a ECU thing, I have proven it. Doing 80 KM / HR , pull in the clutch and release the throttle. Expect to see 2000 RPM, you can let the clutch out, and unless you have droped more than 10KM / HR it will remain at 2000 RPM. Next at 80 start to do some engine braking, it will settle at 1500 RPM, something in the ECU with maintained RPM above 2500 RPM, the fueling stays high until engine braking occurs, or you let the clutch out at a much slower speed.
This occurred before the flash and remains the same after the flash. If you are doing a emergency stop without engine braking, this is where you need to pay attention, that idle will be at 2000 RPM, if you haven't noticed.
Thanks Wiz. I'll have to remember to perform those checks on the next ride. Mine didn't start this behavior until after I had the ECU re-flashed, but I think that's merely coincidental since it didn't begin immediately following the re-flash. I'll report back.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I get that high rev once in a while on my 2015 as well. Its a good idea to get into the throttle and lube the cable anyways for good measure if its never been lubed..

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I get that high rev once in a while on my 2015 as well. Its a good idea to get into the throttle and lube the cable anyways for good measure if its never been lubed..
Yes always a good idea to lube cables, just remember this is a two cable system , I have my cables set with about 0.015 slack between the two. My buddy had about 0.312 between cables, couldn't understand why his bike was so jerky. No idea how he rode it, took me about 3 minutes to adjust it at a coffee stop.

Reactions: jaaklucas
1 - 9 of 9 Posts