Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Review: Israeli Police Motorcycle Pants

Brosh Kevlar Motorcycle Pants

Bought these off Ebay for $100US (price includes free shipping to US or Canada but not optional knee armor). Ebay Item 181416236482. See listing for pictures.

These are cotton docker type utility/police/paramilitary pants (khaki or black) with side cargo pockets, kevlar in the seat and knees, outside pockets for knee armor, and cinch straps at the knees. The look like they would be very comfortable in the heat due to the stretch venting fabric panels at the back of the knees and cotton construction and a lot more protective than jeans. Actually look better in person than they do in Ebay photos. They have a higher waist than most jeans, like most cargo pants, so if you have a belly you may want to go up one size on the waist.

The good:
1) cool and comfortable in hot weather
1) excellent fit if you have an average build, fit very well and accurately like dockers - no weird fit like many motorcycle pants I've tried (eg. sliders)
2) excellent value at price, comparable fit and quality to slightly more expensive options
3) good quality construction, excellent under abrasion protection from under layer

4) cinch straps at knee hold armor from slipping off knee
5) look relatively normal and stylish off bike wear

The bad:
1) Only available direct from manufacturer on eBay or via their site, not available via retailers, although this may assist in their excellent pricing
2) Knox knee pads shown in pictures are optional

Summary:
IMO, a excellent product with better than average fit and protection at a relatively low cost. Better than other products in the price range.

Subjective Ratings:
Fit: 5 (excellent)
Construction: 5 (better than average and excellent at price)
Value: 5 (excellent)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
How about that. Click the link and there are pictures. Not bad looking pants, but are they Kosher? :D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
kevlar is a good protector in a slide for a good 4 seconds or LESS...it is also really good as a skin shredder/scrapper as you slide along..the heat it will generate as it slides and melts will surely help if it's a cold day on your drop...just be sure to wear something between the kevlar patches and your skin...someone posted about "Motosport Kevlar" gear in another thread...it's definitely good stuff...

http://www.motoport.com/

:cheers:

a fellow rider once told me.."you don't dress for the ride..you dress for the crash"...ATGATT (all the gear all the time)

·
Registered
638 Posts
If there for the Israeli police, is there a built in holster system for an Uzi and some extra mags?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
sorry I just couldn't let this "slide" :cool:

kevlar (aramid fibers) does not start to melt until over 500*C or over 900*F, flesh starts to ignite at over 480*F. so yes your skin will catch fire before the kevlar will melt.
maybe I should've taken a picture of said "unmelted" kevlar on the knee of my jeans before I patched over it...but it sure was black and melted looking...my knee had a nice cheese grated spot on it too but strangley enough DIDN'T catch fire...I wear other "real" protection and have given up on "jeans"...what YOU wear is up to you...heck leave your helmet at home...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I wear other "real" protection and have given up on "jeans"...what YOU wear is up to you...heck leave your helmet at home...

no need to direct that at me, all I commented on was your misunderstanding of melting kevlar. what you experienced was simple abrasion of the fibers and probably some plastic deformation.

Any fabric can give your skin an abrasion when it is lose fitting, even without the fabric being damaged at all. If you want to avoid that you need more layers so that the layers are rubbing together rather than your skin or you need tight fitting gear (track suit) that would not have the freedom to rub against your skin.

crash pads under kevlar jeans is a pretty safe bet.

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've heard it said that Kevlar fiber breaks down over time with normal wear and washing machines. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?
I'd be supprised if it wears any faster than any other material. Its excellent anti abrasion properties should point to the fact it is resistant to wear and chafe.

In my experience it stands up better over time than leather even with frequent washings. Have 8 year old Dragging Jeans Kevlar liners.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
sorry I just couldn't let this "slide" :cool:

kevlar (aramid fibers) does not start to melt until over 500*C or over 900*F, flesh starts to ignite at over 480*F. so yes your skin will catch fire before the kevlar will melt.
Me TOO - MAYBE they BOTH ignite simultaneously, as the kevlar should insulate your flesh for a FEW seconds from the high temps....:p

:goodluck:

·
Registered
143 Posts
To add to the fun.....

A guy in Britain takes a pair of 'partially lined' and 'fully lined' 14oz denim jeans, and drags them around a track for a few minutes.

Worth checking out.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
To add to the fun.....

A guy in Britain takes a pair of 'partially lined' and 'fully lined' 14oz denim jeans, and drags them around a track for a few minutes.

Worth checking out.
Having slide twice in my life both times it has been on a pressure point (knees, elbows, shoulders, etc.) Other areas were completely unaffected. For this reason I think the jean test although entertaining was not representative of real world crashes. Also fully lined jeans, although possibly more protective, are too hot for summertime wear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts