Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

How many Vs. 650 Owners have Lowered Seats?

• Lowered Vs. 650 (kits, shocks, seats, forks, ...) Seat Height

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Standard Vs. 650 (or raised) Seat Height

Votes: 36 66.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They can be lowered by kits, shocks, forks, or even seats.

That skinny seat will injure you for sure, man or woman, with your feet dangling trying to touch the ground.

It seems like there is a majority of lowered-seat members now or maybe there are just more alternatives now. I just wanted to put a stick in the mud and find out what percentage of riders have lowered their Vs. 650's.

·
Registered
210 Posts
About to lower it w/ Motowerk kit.
Lowered my last bike (with similar lowering links), along with lowering the front, and it was 100% upside:
-No more tiptoes at stops
-Easier to manage stops on cambered roads
-Easier to walk it backwards on iffy surfaces
-Easier to mount and dismount
-No change in leg geometry
-Actually felt more planted when cornering

I originally tried a lowered seat, but it was less comfortable, and increased the knee-bend angle -- sent it back.

I never missed a center-stand (I use spools and a rear stand). If there was any difference at all, I might have scraped the pegs a time or two more often during spirited mountain riding...

My $.02

·
Registered
274 Posts
Motowerks lowering block, lowered the front, used Motowerks foot on the side stand. Even tho I'm 5'10", at 73 my leg won't cross that thing at full height. Just fine now:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
For those who lower - do you scrape your pegs more easily afterwards? I've scraped mine with standard height, so I'd assume that would become a limiting factor in lean angles?
I've scraped mine a bit more often in previous bikes I've lowered. However, I think that's more *my* fault, than the bike clearance (which is still significant after lowering).
Proper posture on the bike (hanging a bit more off the bike, so it can be held more perpendicular to the asphalt) is necessary with spirited riding. Scraping isn't a terrible thing, however, if one of the feelers catches a pit in the road - the results can be... unpredictable...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
my versys was lowered when i got it. i dont need it to be as i can stand and the seat is a few inches from my crotch lol..... tho saying that i wouldnt remove the lowering kit as im use to it and i like the seating position and everyone says the stock is so terrible

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I rode my V at stock height for the first 7 years that I've owned it. I am average height, but I have long legs, so I can reach the pavement easily.

Now, at the beginning of my V's 8th riding season, I recently lowered my V, with the link in the back, and lowered triple clamps in the front. I also raised my footpegs back up to stock height. I bought a 650 Ninja kickstand for $20, and put that one on.

This is what I've noticed so far -

Cornering is a lot more fun.
Somehow, having the bike "nose high" has made the bike more fun to ride in general.
It's much easier to swing a leg over the bike.
It looks better being lower. It looks more like the street bike that it is. It's proportions are now more pleasing.
I am still getting used to the seat being canted backwards, which sometimes forces me to sit farther back on the bike than I'm used to.
Moving back in the seat may be better on long trips, but I've not tested that myself yet.
The shock is no longer in line with the sight lines of the frame, which looks a little odd to me. But it is not a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shock, pegs and forks.

Did it about two weeks after getting the bike. Much easier to back out of the garage on my slight incline. Commuting is also less stressful. 31" inseam.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It is now... front and back lowered (Motowerk rocks), kickstand adjusted, chain re-tensioned.
29" inseam. Fabulous mod...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Got my V used, and it was stock-height. I had a KLR before, and got used to the advantage of "sitting tall" and I just liked it. Heck, once your rolling, it don't matter. I put bikes together in a shop and had to run them around the block to make sure they drove straight, you got used to hopping on WR250's and such and just blasting off. Get one foot down when you stop, lean the bike a little if ya have to.

I have way fewer near death experiences riding a taller bike and being seen by cars vs. riding touring bikes, just me I bet. I also like to see over cars and traffic around or ahead of me too.

I like them tall. Great post Dawg.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Lowered a bit with Hyperpro springs front and rear. Maybe an inch or less. Forks raised in triples with 25mm showing (stock was 12mm).
Did some experimenting with different shock springs with Klaus at EPM since I'm local to his shop. Found the spring that works best for me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts