Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some years ago I narrowly missed slamming into a deer because I was buggering about with my digital camera trying to take a picture of my buddy in front of me! I know, not very safe but we were in the TX Panhandle on a long, straight, empty road to nowhere with the sun going down - very photogenic.

Anyway, if I had this camera I might have been safer. You can change settings just by tapping the sides. And it's waterproof and shockproof.

Personally I would rather have this Ricoh as it's probably a better photographic tool - it's probably twice as much too.

What do we think - taking pictures whilst riding - stupid or ok?

Les, DFW

·
Registered
530 Posts
Stupid.

Messing with anything on board the bike while riding is not recommended. Like GPS, iPods, etc. I set my GPS before I ride and then make adjustments when I pull over. I'm not perfect and I've done it - but I know I missed a few things while my eyes were off the road and I've found the bike has moved off track.

Sounds like you already know this, though. Having narrowly missed a deer on a flat treeless road should have told you this.

The only thing I could think of to take pictures safely while riding is a video camera that you have set up previously before riding. Press the record button and leave it - then check what you got later. If you need snaps then use an editing tool on your computer and lift a frame.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ocean for your frank opinion ;) I know - I asked for it.

What is ironic about the deer story is that I think I was saved because I was playing with my camera. The deer appeared from nowhere - he was hiding in 1' tall grass at the side of the road. The first bike spooked him and he ran in front of me. If i had been paying attention I would have tried to avoid him and God knows what I would have done. As it was he was in front of me and gone before I could react. The guy behind me thought I was a goner.

Seconds and inches...

I would never try taking pictures on a road with any traffic, this seemed kind of okay and we had been riding for three weeks at this point and feeling confident and cocky!

Les. DFW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts