Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my 07 650 had a few drops of really black oil on the ground where it sleeps at night. Closer inspection revealed a lot of oily muck near the sprocket location. Before I start pulling it apart is it just crap off the chain (I oiled last week) or something more sinister? The bike is running fine. Only bought it a month a ago as well.

(sorry the pics are not very good)

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
probably just built up chain lube but I would clean it real well and keep an eye on it. Might not be a bad idea to look over the rest of the bike also, as the previous owner may have not been too keen on upkeep.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I strongly suggest a thorough clean of the chain, sprockets and drive area, really clean. Inspect all seals and gaskets in the area carefully. Then go for a run and inspect again - see if you have a seep. Not only does that indicate an issue with loss of fluid, but suggests a worn seal that can groove a shaft - bad thing. Best to catch early.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Waterless hand cleaner WITHOUT abrasive grit does a good job of getting that stuff off without damaging anything or being toxic. I use "Goop" most of the time.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
chain gunk build up... hit it with some WD40 and a old tooth brush after taking the front sprocket cover off... i just cleaned up years of build up from mine

·
Registered
638 Posts
That front sprocket area can be a home for a large amount of gunk. I'm hoping your recent oiling just added to it and now it's seeping. go in and clean that area out and keep an eye out for any real leakage.

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
Here's a pic of my '08 when I replaced its OEM chain at 53,xxx miles, tho' I had replaced the countershaft sprocket TWO times previously.

What you have is normal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I'll pull the sprocket cover off over the weekend and give it a good going over.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would take off the countershaft cover and clean it. I do it about every 1500 miles. I know weljo2001 has a few photos somewhere. Pretty easy, I used kerosene and sprayed the shaft cover with the kerosene also.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
fasteddiecopeman uses WD-40 only, and he swears by it.
its funny i posted about that on the pnw forum and got so much flack about how wd40 isnt a lube and how it will destroy any chain and blah blah blah....... yet ive seen the results

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
What is your cleaning/oiling regiment for that chain!?...
fasteddiecopeman uses WD-40 only, and he swears by it.
invader's right.

I ALWAYS spray my chains while they're still warm, either after riding - in the garage (UNLESS I wash it, then I re-spray the COLD chain when I finish washing); or on the side of the road (mid-day on long rides - MORE often if it's raining) or in the camp-ground BEFORE I put up my tent (so the chain's still warm). I buy WD40 in gallons - VERY much cheaper w/ MORE of the WD in it, and LESS of the 'carrier'.

At home I try to spray the WD40 on it after any ride OVER about 50 miles, then I spin the rear wheel several times to distribute the WD and then wipe the chain down (EXCEPT on long rides where I don't care if the rear wheel is dirty!).

Every now-and-then I clean the rear wheel, but it's NOT a priority...!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pulled the bike apart and I've never seen such a mess. The bike had the valves and chain/sprocket done 3000k ago, certainly accumulated a lot of crap in a hurry unless the previous owner was using tar as a chain lube...

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Chain maintenance is one of those things that's easy if done frequently, probably needs to be lubed at least every 400-500 and cleaned every 800-1000. Frequently removing the countershaft cover and cleaning is a good idea. Doing this will most likely save time and money in the back end. It doesn't take much lube either. It looks like it got over lubed and not cleaned enough. This and oil changes when done on a frequent basis will go a long way and prevent unnecessary trips to the shop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts