Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the chain on my 2015 Versys 650 seems to be losing a rubber gasket. Will the whole chain need to be replaced? It only has about 5,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
Yes, change it before your chain lets go and you crash or damage the gear box, it has happened. Where are you in the world?

·
Registered
26 Posts
No, although many people should say yes. The O ring is there to keep the grease in the chain. Your chain can last many kilometers. For the strength of your chain it doesn't matter. Keep your chain greased. I have had it before with a d.i.d. chain on a ktm 990. My dealer told me not to worry about it. Maybe someone else has another opinion.

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
Well have a close look, if this post was as a tutorial about chains, you are wrong, notice that kinked link. But it is your bike ,your money . Lots of chain threads and also several where the chain let go and damaged the gear box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I take a better look at the picture, I don't think that the gasket is the only problem. It looks like the chain has a kink. This means you have to replace it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well have a close look, if this post was as a tutorial about chains, you are wrong, notice that kinked link. But it is your bike ,your money . Lots of chain threads and also several where the chain let go and damaged the gear box.
Sorry man you are a bit faster than I am. You're right. The chain has to be replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the confirmation, guys. I kinda figured that was the case. Guess it's time to order a chain.

And I'm in the Memphis, TN area, onewizard.

·
Registered
668 Posts
holy cow the bad advices today...
cut that link and replace it with a master link (10-15$?).
no need to replace whole chain!!

(always buy 3x more master links than chains; for spares, bad install, or cases like this; besides chains are often sold with clips and you should want rivet, so you have to buy rivet master links separately anyway).

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
My last chain from Fortnine Canada came with the twistoff type master link, I already have a rivet master link. I would never consider cutting out a link like that and replacing it with a clip link except in a emergency to get home, there have been several guys on this forum with damaged gear boxes, some close calls, that chain lets go at 100 KM/HR just where do you think you will end up? My OEM chain was absolute garbage , not starting another thread here, my new chain has almost 20,000 KM on it, I think this winter I am changing it out with the one I have in my parts bin, I paid $86 Canadian from Fortnine .

see post 99

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up ordering this RK X-ring chain with a rivet master link.

A chain is one of those things that I don't mind replacing as frequently as I need to to have peace of mind when riding far from home. I wish the factory chain would've lasted longer, but hopefully this RK unit will give me 20k+ miles.

And I know that it's recommended to replace chains and sprockets together, but with only 5k miles on the factory sprockets, I'm comfortable keeping them for now and shortening the life of the new chain a little.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's (was?) a very good chain. Serviced reasonably well, it should not fail
in 5000 miles imho.

I'd be doing my darnedest to determine the root cause of the failure.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
That's (was?) a very good chain. Serviced reasonably well, it should not fail
in 5000 miles imho.

I'd be doing my darnedest to determine the root cause of the failure.
It was the original DID VP2 520 chain, made in Thailand. It's the same lousy chain Kawasaki slapped onto new KLR 650's... It is most definitely NOT a high quality chain.

Under 10K (6,000 miles) -

·
Registered
84 Posts
It was the original DID VP2 520 chain, made in Thailand. It's the same lousy chain Kawasaki slapped onto new KLR 650's... It is most definitely NOT a high quality chain.

The link you provided says "At 22k I replaced my standard OEM chain (DID 520 VP) etc"
which contradicts what you say... LOL.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
Definitely the chain on my '08 (Japanese) lasted OVER 50,000 MILES, while the one on my '15 (made in Thailand) was junk at less than 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
No, Jungle Phantom... It's less than 10K (6,000 miles) on a DID 520 VP2.
Here's a screenshot of your own post that claims 22000km/13000 miles for a VP2... LOL:
The damaged chain Nick Rains has pictured did not wear out in 5000km... it was damaged, by
a foreign object between the chain and sprocket.

Fast Eddies Thai chain lasted 12000 miles... twice the distance you claim is
the lifespan of the Thai chain.
Invader.png

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Here's a screenshot of your own post that claims 22000km/13000 miles for a VP2... LOL:
Don't be an idiot, Jungle Phantom. It's 22K on a VP, then less than 10K on a VP2:

"At 22k I replaced my standard OEM chain (DID 520 VP) because it was badly damaged. I replaced it with an original DID 520 VP2 (OEM) chain bought at an Kawasaki dealer. I also replaced the sprockets (original) and now at 31k (less as 10k!) I have to replace it again!"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't be an idiot, Jungle Phantom. It's 22K on a VP, then less than 10K on a VP2:

"At 22k I replaced my standard OEM chain (DID 520 VP) because it was badly damaged. I replaced it with an original DID 520 VP2 (OEM) chain bought at an Kawasaki dealer. I also replaced the sprockets (original) and now at 31k (less as 10k!) I have to replace it again!"
Okay, I won't be an idiot! The devil is in the detail. Didn't notice VP v VP2... give me a break
I'm 65 and my glasses are about 5 years old... probably need another dioptre of correction..
that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Anyway, it's still a shame that quality went downhill for the Gen III

And the following still stands so don't you be an idiot as well:
"The damaged chain Nick Rains has pictured did not wear out in 5000km... it was damaged, by a foreign object between the chain and sprocket.

Fast Eddies Thai chain lasted 12000 miles... twice the distance you claim is
the lifespan of the Thai chain."

·
Registered
181 Posts

The OEM I had on mine was one of the worst chains I've ever had, and then it got replaced with the same chain at a dealer on a long trip (only chain available), which also lasted a very short time, 1.5 weeks actually.

I got 9k on the OEM and about 5k on the replacement. Lubed daily. Those DID VP2 are garbage chains.

All my other chains have lasted 20-30k miles before that. The EK SRO6 (cheap oring chain) is going alone fine (3rd chain on that trip) without all the frequent adjustments (daily) i suffered with that DID on the trip, it was extremely annoying.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts