Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
40 grade oils aren't resourse conserving, so it might not cause clutch problems. You could have better idea of that if you could find a product data sheet and see how much moly is listed. Based on how other automotive 5W40's do in shared sump motorcycles, I would expect it to shear well out of grade maybe in just a couple thousand miles. I wouldn't put it my bike. Use it for the next oil change in your car, or give it to someone who can.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
find a local VW forum and offer it up on there and get yourself a free case of beer

·
Registered
970 Posts
Automotive oil works fine providing it doesn't have any "friction modifiers" added. Check the certs on the back to find out. Friction modifiers will really mess up a wet clutch like most metric bikes have.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm a firm believer in using flame throwers when flame throwers are needed, and motorcycle oil when motorcycle oil is needed.

As was pointed out, oil is (relatively) cheap, engine rebuilds aren't. (now watch the flame wars start over WHAT oil to buy) :teetertooter:...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
find a local VW forum and offer it up on there and get yourself a free case of beer
Haha, thats a good idea.

I'm a firm believer in using flame throwers when flame throwers are needed, and motorcycle oil when motorcycle oil is needed.

As was pointed out, oil is (relatively) cheap, engine rebuilds aren't. (now watch the flame wars start over WHAT oil to buy) :teetertooter:...
Well, I certainly wouldnt buy that oil for the bike, but since its on hand, and I change my oil after 1500-2000k miles.

Might try the rotella that I see is used on most bike forums then.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Just to throw a bit of a wrench in the works..........most Rotella is formulated for diesel engines. No problem, I used it in a lot of bikes and other things.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to throw a bit of a wrench in the works..........most Rotella is formulated for diesel engines. No problem, I used it in a lot of bikes and other things.
Have you/do you use it in your V.

I have 1 quart of this oil, but its a 40 km round trip for me to get another 2 quarts.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is absolutely no reason you cannot use it. It may not be the ideal choice but it will not cause ruin either.
Are you talking about the original euro car formula oil (sorry, a couple other oils have been mentioned)?

Also Twowheels, I say your post in the insurance thread, where in Canada are you with that rate, and what company? I have to renew in July, paid 1k last yr with aviva.

·
Registered
970 Posts
M1 is in mine atm too, 15w50. Too bad its up to $14 a quart cnd when I checked yesterday.
Yeah, I've got the same thing........I couldn't find what I wanted locally (only two small parts stores in town) and didn't want to drive the 60 miles to the nearest Wally World.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have Mobil 1 synth in it now but the next oil change I will use Rotella dino 10w-40w.
Why would you switch from Synth to conventional? I run the Rotella T6 in mine and it shifts MUCH smoother than with the Mobile 1 4T that I used last change.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I just don't think there is that much benefit to synthetic............and every bike I've had it in has been noisier with synthetic. Just my opinion here................

1 - 20 of 31 Posts