Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel as though I really like the 2015 650 LT. Seriously considering swapping my 2013 Concours for one. What is your impression of the power of the 650? Is it adequate? I know my Connie is a 1400 beast, but overall, I ride rather conservatively, but spirited, and rarely redline a gear. I'm just wondering if the power of the 650 will be an issue for me. After sitting on one for quite some time at the dealer Saturday, the riding position was very comfortable, but I must say that I prefer a bit more of a sporting position - not Ricky Racer with clip-on's, but just a slight forward lean. I guess you could say a Sport Touring riding position.

Your thoughts on the power? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
It's a beast....maybe because my other bikes are a KLR 34 hp and a Royal Enfield about 19 hp at the rear wheel.

I've never had a problem keeping up with my buds on "Bigger" bike...most of the time they have the problem.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Plenty of power IMO....I had a DL1000 Vstrom, and my Versys at the same time...I was amazed how much more low end power the Versys had over the litre Vstrom...And it's plenty good at highway speed, especially with a 16 tooth front sprocket...

·
Registered
186 Posts
As Time also posted...my other ride is an 06' KLR...the V screams comparitively.

I'm 5'10", 185 with gear. Only about 1100 miles on my new 2014 but I've riden with diversity...

250 mile highway/byway ride from Portland around Mt. Hood and back through the Gorge.
150 mile two-lane 55 mph road through the country
City traffic, suburbs, etc...

Very capable bike. I could easily do a trip on this bike with the right luggage. Plenty of power. The biggest change for you may be how quick it goes through the lower gears compared to the Concours.

Edit: just saw you too have a KLR...you'll love the Versys...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How many times are you going to ask the same question? :)

Until you get the answer you are looking for?

How much is good enough so subjective. Some Concours owners swap in zx14 parts trying get more.
Sorry, Pal, but I haven't asked any questions about power before. Have another beer.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I sold my 3rd FJR1300 last year and bought a Versys 650.

In my mind, the Versys 650 has enough power for just about anything you want to do with it.

It's a fuzz light for blasting down the interstate highway all day long, but it will do it.

It really shines around town, and for duty on the two-lane roads.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Adequate yes.

You will have no problem moving faster than you need to or pulling a 1st gear power wheelie...

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Sorry, Pal, but I haven't asked any questions about power before. Have another beer.
Wow, there must be a rash of guys wanting to move from the Concours 1400 to the Versys 650 then. My apologies. I recently answered several thinking of moving from Concours 1400 to Versys 650 questions.

Oh, I see you are spreading your questions out over several posts. :cheers:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85313

When it comes to accessories I would say accumulate all the accessories you are going to ad that require pulling the bike apart and do it all at once so you are not taking the bike apart multiple times.

The Green one is indeed faster in case you ask.

The seat sucks.

The Chain is a PTA to maintain when on long trips so get a pack jac.

·
Registered
124 Posts
MJ - I just re-read your post and you mentioned that you sat on it at the dealer. Wouldn't they let you road test?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MJ - I just re-read your post and you mentioned that you sat on it at the dealer. Wouldn't they let you road test?
Bike wasn't prepped. They offered a test ride, but would have to advise them in advance to have one ride ready. Busy Saturday wasn't the time to ask service dept to prep the bike. I was fine with that.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts