Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some bikes that do not use the locking pin. Considering how strongly the nut is bolted, it seems that there is very little chance for it getting loose. Fitting that pin and then taking it out is just annoying.

·
Registered
369 Posts
How often are you loosening your axle that it becomes annoying? I've seen people post where people use a hitch clip instead of the cotter pin. But personally as often as I have to loosen the axle, the cotter pin isn't a big deal. I just bought a bunch of them at a hardware store.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I know what you mean because in 40+ years of riding, I've never had an axle nut loosen up, but I still wouldn't go without something (cotter pin, hitch clip, safety wire, small bolt and nut, sturdy stick, LOL) acting as a fail-safe unless it was in some weird situation and for a short distance. I've been using hitch clips for many years, oriented so they can't be pulled out inadvertently by getting snagged on a branch or something weird.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I went to my local bolt and nut supply and got a fujilok nut

·
Super Moderator
20,444 Posts
My suggestion - just BECAUSE Kawi takes BOTH ends of the cotter-pin and WRAPS it around the axle, does NOT mean you have to!

I just spread ONE of the two ends so that they make an "included-angle" of about 45 degrees (which will keep the cotter-pin from 'backing out' IF the nut was NOT tightened securely).

IMG_0223 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My suggestion - just BECAUSE Kawi takes BOTH ends of the cotter-pin and WRAPS it around the axle, does NOT mean you have to!

I just spread ONE of the two ends so that they make an "included-angle" of about 45 degrees (which will keep the cotter-pin from 'backing out' IF the nut was NOT tightened securely).

IMG_0223 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr
this seems like a good idea! but if I can, I will try to get self-locking nut somewhere. I will first try to order from Yamaha dealer, as they are next door.

·
Registered
MK3 Versys 650
35 Posts
I think I rode my last MKII without one for 100,000kms. One day I went to adjust the chain, the pin broke and I didn't had more. I did order more, never got around to installing another one.

In the last 10 years I've owned 20 or so bikes, the Versys arer the only ones that have one. But I'm a guy that owns 5 torque wrenches, and you can bet I use a torque wrench to tighten the axle after adjusting the chain.

·
Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
73 Posts
I'm ditching mine at tire change time for a Fuji-lock nut, they work great and I'm not a fan of cotterpins, that's so yesterday, lol.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I am ordering the Yamaha one. By the way, the new part number is 90185-20002-00

Why Kawasaki cannot use a simple lock nut? It is not like it is a feat of engineering...

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Thanks updated my post with the correct / revised number. The photo I saw looks like the Fujilok nut, can't beat stainless

·
Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
73 Posts
The Fujiploc nuts on my Yammy's weren't stainless, but whatever coating they use sure doesn't rust...... no worries.

·
Registered
Vx300 Embrace the Revs!
200 Posts
If you feel comfortable without a cotter pin, good luck. I like to bend both sides slightly as to not fatigue them prematurely. Just enough so neither side can pass thru, in the unlikely event that one side breaks. Replace if getting soft.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
The Fujiploc nuts on my Yammy's weren't stainless, but whatever coating they use sure doesn't rust...... no worries.
Yes that was the only choice available, they had something like 9000 in stock 304 stainless I also own something like 7 torque wrenches, 1/4 ; 3/8 & 1/2

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would use something, maybe not a stick…. but there is no reason not to, for the seconds it takes to put one in you have piece of mind. Even a paper clip is ok, the shear pressure this nut would produce if it backs off is 0.

·
Registered
2013 v650
291 Posts
Coming from the aviation industry every fastener has some type of safety. A cotter pin is for one time use and so is a plastic insert lock nut. Metal lock nuts (crimped end) can be reused if they have a defined run on torque. Some of them even have both a plastic insert and a cotter pin installed. That being said with an airplane you can't pull over to a cloud and tighten something. If you have a castle nut use some type of safety (cotter pin or clip). If you are going to use a lock nut make sure that it takes a wrench to turn it on. If you can turn it on by hand it is worn out.

·
Registered
Vx300 Embrace the Revs!
200 Posts
Some think it ugly. I appreciate the quick visual that verifies my axles aren’t coming loose.

I’m also familiar with aviation practices. Used to be well practiced in the art of safety wire. I don’t mind reusing cotter pins that I can easily see maybe 10x. I only bend enough to prevent falling out if either side fails. Can easily see in time before both sides would fail. But if you want to replace every time, more power to u,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts