Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first decently long ride in the rain yesterday, and when I got back, it smelled like burning oil. Is this normal when riding in the rain (i.e. the water is just burning off of something)? Or is this a possible sign of something wrong. Oil level seems to be pretty constant and it doesn't seem to be burning oil in the engine.

Am I just being paranoid?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It maybe just the stuff they put on new bikes burning off, think they coat them with something when the put them in the crate.

Other smell you can get on a wet day, when water and road crap is thrown off the front wheel into the radiator-that will steam and smell when you stop.

Many of us have put on some type of fender extender to keep radiator clean. You can buy them or make one up from some hard rubber, tile etc.

If its not using oil and site gauge is staying the same, wouldn't worry about it.

Machog

·
Registered
56 Posts
The same thing happened to me yesterday! It was also my first time in the rain with the Versys. I didn't worry about it but I can't explain it either.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It maybe just the stuff they put on new bikes burning off, think they coat them with something when the put them in the crate.

Other smell you can get on a wet day, when water and road crap is thrown off the front wheel into the radiator-that will steam and smell when you stop.

Many of us have put on some type of fender extender to keep radiator clean. You can buy them or make one up from some hard rubber, tile etc.

If its not using oil and site gauge is staying the same, wouldn't worry about it.

Machog
There was a ton of steam coming from the radiator/pipes when I got home. Figured that was just water + heat.

I have had the bike for a while (although 5k miles doesn't seem like a full season + month). So I would think anything they put on it has come off, but I could be wrong. Good to know I am not the only one weirded out by this. Never smelled anything on my 250r like it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not recently, but that is a good point. It has been a while since I oiled it, by time, but not by distance. Just haven't been able to ride all that much.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It is probably road gunk burning on the pipes. The V is much stinkier in the rain than my old KLR was. Probably that the header and exhaust are all lined up behind the front tire. There are worms and hunks of "things" burnt on the header after riding in the rain. I find it odd that I never notice how much junk is on the road until it gets wet and sticks to the bike, my boots, etc.

Paul

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's a scary smell, that's for sure. I had it wafting up while I was in a monsoon rain here in Memphis a few months ago. It's road grime + sewer water and probably a plastic wrapper or two tossed up on the headers. Bike smells like that every time I ride in a good rain.

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
My PC stunk in the rain, my ST stinks in the rain, my V stinks in the rain. Wet scunge on hot parts...stinks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts