Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got hit about a couple weeks ago snapped my pegs and front fender as a result and the bike was out of commision for a 2 weeks. Anyway fixed my peg up and took the old broken plastics that were still attached off. Something happened... I really like the versys with no front fender. I have a new one but i'm thinking i don't want to put it on. Any risk of running it like this?

Picture if interested: 20130422_174736(1).jpg

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts
Without the fender Your gonna get a lot of pebbles and crap hitting the radiator. As well as when the roads wet its gonna get nasty. So maybe get a Radiator Guard and a Pressure Washer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm don't know how I feel about the rain bit. I'm a daily rider and I get caught in the rain quite a lot. So will the rain come splashing upwards in my direction or what? Maybe I should just put it on..

·
Registered
559 Posts

I had none on my bobber...and never had any issues. That said, it was a sunday ride bike and it's never seen rain or gravel/dirt...

If you stay on the road, I wouldnt worry too much about it.

As for the rain, yes it will be a mess hehe specially when turning the front wheel :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
As documented in another thread, I'm one of those unlucky riders that got an on-road gravel chip bounced up between the fan and the radiator, resulting in the fan motor burning out. That made me a believer in the fender plus the Fenda Extenda...which extends the rear of the fender a few more inches to keep stones out of the engine area. Price a factory fan or radiator - it will shock you. You can find alternatives and make them work of course, but I'd rather avoid the whole problem again.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts

I had none on my bobber...and never had any issues. That said, it was a sunday ride bike and it's never seen rain or gravel/dirt...

If you stay on the road, I wouldnt worry too much about it.

As for the rain, yes it will be a mess hehe specially when turning the front wheel :)
Nice looking ride. I'm guessing you don't have to worry about puncturing the radiator though.

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wouldn't do it, but it certainly gives the bike that really naked, industrial look. An end of the world, ride all over look. Pretty cool actually.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Beside splash and debris shield function, you need the front fender to secure the brake lines and keep them away from the spinning tire.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd be surprised if there weren't registration/licensing issues - and you'll get covered with crap thrown off the front wheel!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Even if you ride on nice days only on good pavement.

You are going to get crap thrown off the tire! :eek:

·
Registered
559 Posts
It was air cooled indeed :) But still, if you don't ride in dirt or gravel, there shouldnt be much stuff flying off the wheel ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Removed the fender on my Sportster and there was a constant stream of dust thrown up in may face that a fender normally stopped. It looked very cool but just not worth it. Chopped the front fender on my DR650 and the same thing happened. Leave it on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts