Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I drive across combed pavement (a road that has had the surface layer removed for resurfacing) I get a little nervous. It seems pretty uniform but the bike tends to sway a little and the controls don't feel right.

Is this actually dangerous or is it just an illusion of danger?

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's just like driving over a steel decked bridge....stay smooth on the throttle and brakes, loose on the arms and hands, keep your head up and look where you want to go and just let the bike move under you. If you keep your head and stay relaxed, it isn't really dangerous.

·
Registered
262 Posts
+1 MN_Smurf. The key is not letting the bike's movement underneath you freak you out. Everything with rubber tires 'drifts' , its just that in a car you can't really feel it like you can on a bike. If you fight the bike its going to make the bike feel more unstable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's just like driving over a steel decked bridge....stay smooth on the throttle and brakes, loose on the arms and hands, keep your head up and look where you want to go and just let the bike move under you. If you keep your head and stay relaxed, it isn't really dangerous.
That is quite right. Just let the bike 'float' underneath you. The bike will NOT slide out. Keep your speed steady to even increasing speed. This will keep the bike more stable.
Also, move a bit to the rear and grip the tank between your legs. What smurf said " loose on the arms and hands" is very very important.

But riding on new grated roads are scary at first. But let go of the fear and just enjoy the floating feeling. Once it is over you will feel relieved and sorry that it is over. It does let your blood pump. But you should try to ride a road that has been been covered with new gravel, millions of new round little stones. Now that is a scary feeling.

·
Super Moderator
20,657 Posts
... and I would add to that: when on a steel decked bridge (or anytime you're uncomfortable with the surface) STAND ON YOUR 'PEGS! You'll have way more control and less chance of dumping it. :goodidea:
Ed

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as actually standing up, but making a concious effort to shift some weight from the seat to your pegs is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
... and I would add to that: when on a steel decked bridge (or anytime you're uncomfortable with the surface) STAND ON YOUR 'PEGS! You'll have way more control and less chance of dumping it. :goodidea:
Ed
Ed, technically, you are right, but due to the prevalence of "stunters" in many states standing on the pegs can get you fined for anything from failure to sit on a permanent seat (in OR "unlawful operation of a motorcycle or moped" - ORS 814.200) or even reckless driving (which is typically what street stunters are hit with. Yes, I know it isn't, it's actually the safe thing to do, but if the cop thinks you are doing something funny, especially if he is not a motorcyclist and he doesn't understand why you do it, you'll have to explain that to a judge... :badidea:

Gustavo

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ed, technically, you are right, but due to the prevalence of "stunters" in many states standing on the pegs can get you fined for anything from failure to sit on a permanent seat (in OR "unlawful operation of a motorcycle or moped" - ORS 814.200) or even reckless driving (which is typically what street stunters are hit with. Yes, I know it isn't, it's actually the safe thing to do, but if the cop thinks you are doing something funny, especially if he is not a motorcyclist and he doesn't understand why you do it, you'll have to explain that to a judge... :badidea:

Gustavo
Yeah, that's a really annoying law. I have bad knees and one of the things I like about the V is that has an upright enough riding position for me to stand up every once in awhile. As a dirtbike racer, I spend most of my riding hours standing up. Heck trials bikes don't even HAVE a seat.

....more lame azz laws. :mad:

Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not its just rougher. You should open the throttle fully at the point where you hit the carved up pavement. That way you will get across it faster, thus minimizing your discomfort. Unless you have one of those seats for fat asses like a gel seat, or lambskin or jelly fish gel or whatever stupid crap they use. Then you'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
20,657 Posts

Gustavo
Your points are taken; however, IF you go down on a grated bridge because you weren't standing on the 'pegs your injuries will make you wish you'd been standing! The 'grated' bridge at Teslin on the Alcan has to be close to half a mile long, and it was a bit scary on my Bandit in '04, but it SCARED THE SH*T OUT OF ME in '06 on the KLR on K270s!!! :badidea:

The bike was moving ALL OVER my lane, and I WAS standing (I'm an old enduro rider so I have some experience). I'm SURE that if I'd been seated I would have crashed. :forgetit:

I'll take my chances talking with the Mountie.... :nono:

Ed :cheers:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I don't get real concerned about bridge gratings unless it's wet. Then they get slicker than snot on a brass doorknob. The bridge across the straits of Mackinac in Michigan has grating in both center lanes all the way across, about 2 miles. It's fun to look down and see the water over 100 feet below.

·
Registered
97 Posts
No, it is not that bad. It feels bad but ain't. Ok, if you can not stand, just lift your butt a little bit from the seat and put all your weight in the pegs while leaning backwards and hugging the tank between your knees. Next time, try this and you will see it is a smooth ride over a bridge. You don't need to stand upright.

And don't forget to keep your speed up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts