Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would add to this my own experience with a Goretex jacket and boots. It really does keep you warmer in the cold and cooler in the heat, compared to an unbreathable laminate, by preventing a buildup of dampness near the skin and allowing evaporation to occur.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
As a former backpacker, I swear by Gore-Tex. Worth every penny! Plus, Gore-Tex garments have to pass Gore-Tex testing to be certified.

I have had to cut riding days short because my fellow riders were not prepared for the summer weather in New England. Rain and in the 50s across VT, NH, and Maine until we hit Acadia National Park.

We had to get a hotel room in Augusta to dry gear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
As a former backpacker, I swear by Gore-Tex. Worth every penny! Plus, Gore-Tex garments have to pass Gore-Tex testing to be certified.

I have had to cut riding days short because my fellow riders were not prepared for the summer weather in New England. Rain and in the 50s across VT, NH, and Maine until we hit Acadia National Park.

I have a very old Sierra Designs Gore-Tex jacket, I use winter and summer, zippers under the arm pits , hood, Velcro everywhere and a zipper storm flap . Last yer I purchased a KLIM gore-tex jacket, huge difference.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Another great invention and use for teflon which is one of mankinds greatest concoctions. Used for so many things. Mr. Gore heated teflon to a specific temperature and expanded it,creating an elastic material that became its most famous product,Gore Tex.

·
Super Moderator
19,442 Posts

On my 'long' rides I wear a "waterproof" Kilimanjaro jacket, plus similar pants, AND I carry rain-gear (including waterproof gloves for use for working w/ sewage, big enough to wear another pair of gloves underneath), and IF it looks like MORE than just a shower - I stop and put the rain-gear on over top, so I DON'T have to worry about HOW I'll dry my gear later in camp. I carry the rain-gear in a back-pack so it's easy to get to....

:clap: - ;)

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
On my 'long' rides I wear a "waterproof" Kilimanjaro jacket, plus similar pants, AND I carry rain-gear (including waterproof gloves for use for working w/ sewage, big enough to wear another pair of gloves underneath), and IF it looks like MORE than just a shower - I stop and put the rain-gear on over top, so I DON'T have to worry about HOW I'll dry my gear later in camp. I carry the rain-gear in a back-pack so it's easy to get to....

:clap: - ;)
You need to tell my riding buddies that. ;)

I hate having to put the tent away wet, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Fortunately on that trip I only had to put it away wet one time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts