Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
If you wish to turn off the ABS temporarily off-road so that you can rear brake turn etc put the bike on its main stand or somehow raise the rear wheel off the deck and run with the clutch out in 2nd gear.
The ECU will soon see that something is amiss and disable the ABS.
Restarting the motor will reactivate the ABS.

ABS is an effective aid on seal but sometimes a nuisance off-road. After 50 years of riding the X300 is my first ABS bike and I've yet to activate it.

·
Registered
Versys X 300
40 Posts
Late to the conversation. I just purchased a VX300 ABS. It is my 4th bike with ABS so I want to chime in. Only once have I needed/used ABS and I was glad I had it. A truck ran a stop sign and I had to go full brakes and steer to avoid a collision. On that bike, a 550 pound Super Tenere 1200, the brakes were linked, which did most of the thinking for me.

Another safety feature I really valued was multi-stage traction control. There is a safety feature I've experienced many times. In the rain, especially on a 100+ hp bike, it is really helpful.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Late to the conversation. I just purchased a VX300 ABS. It is my 4th bike with ABS so I want to chime in. Only once have I needed/used ABS and I was glad I had it. A truck ran a stop sign and I had to go full brakes and steer to avoid a collision. On that bike, a 550 pound Super Tenere 1200, the brakes were linked, which did most of the thinking for me.

Another safety feature I really valued was multi-stage traction control. There is a safety feature I've experienced many times. In the rain, especially on a 100+ hp bike, it is really helpful.
Wow, that's terrifying. Relieved you avoided an extremely dangerous situation. Yeah, I have a great appreciation for the various rider aids.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ll echo what others, have said, and maybe better than how I say it.

I have a 2020 vx300 with abs. It’s my first bike with abs. I was Traveling at speed when a deer bolted in front of me causing me to brake as hard as I ever have in a real situation. It was only later that I realized I felt nothing from the abs. (I had practiced braking hard enough on pavement to get it to activate and it is very noticeable.) I did avoid contact with the deer.

ABS did activate on a steep, rocky downhill once, and that was a PITA.

And yeah, as someone said, the brakes on the wee versys aren’t that great to begin with.

So, I dunno….Overall, I’d rather have it than not. Just wish it was easily made switchable.

·
Super Moderator
22,010 Posts
On my '15 V650 I have tried heavy braking on a sandy down-hill, and I was able to lock the rear wheel.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
479 Posts
On my '15 V650 I have tried heavy braking on a sandy down-hill, and I was able to lock the rear wheel.
What was your speed going down the hill? The manual states ABS doesn't engage below 5kh/3.1mph
I've locked mine also on the gravel road I live on but not sure the speed I was at but believe it was faster than that.

·
Super Moderator
22,010 Posts
Can't remember my speed - I was just 'testing' the ABS to learn how it would work (or IF...).

·
Registered
479 Posts
Can't remember my speed - I was just 'testing' the ABS to learn how it would work (or IF...).
I've had a few bikes (used) that had ABS and always managed to do quick stops without getting into the ABS, has been on dry roads. I'm not a fan of ABS it takes longer to stop but I can see the benefit if the road was slick. The only vehicle with ABS I've gotten into was a 88 Vette doing a road course but quickly adjusted to not do it again. spun me out, BTW the spin out was fun though

·
Super Moderator
22,010 Posts
Because the inclusion of a Vette into THIS thread, didn't come from ME, I'll add another.

Back around the 'mid-90s', a friend (owned a Vette shop) told me that a bunch of guys were renting the race-track in Calgary to have a "track-day", and suggested that I come in my '62 Vette (340HP 327, close-ratio 4 speed) for an afternoon of fun. I used 6,500rpm as a redline, and my car would go 10 mph/1,000 rpm in FIRST gear, so 65 MPH at redline in FIRST.

'62 Vette by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Among the cars that came were a Countach, several Ferraris, a Cobra (probably a kit-car) as well as several Camaro IROC 'race' cars. At the drivers' briefing the rules were laid out that:
1. you could ONLY pass on the left;
2. ONLY on either the FRONT or BACK straight; and
3. ONLY IF the car in front indicated that passing was OK, as these were quite valuable vehicles!

I think my old Vette was the ONLY car there w/out disc-brakes, tho' it was NOT slow by any means, so I would NOT try to corner at anywhere near the speeds the others could use. During the laps I drove, an IROC Camaro would come up behind in the curves, and as we started into the straight I would shift into first, wave him to pass then 'bury-the-throttle'... and leave a VERY surprised Camaro driver WAY behind!

This happened again and again as he couldn't accelerate w/ my old car, so he ended up behind AGAIN, until I decided to 'pit', at which time he could do... whatever...!

Kind of the similar fun to having some car or V-Twin pull alongside the V650, then floor it, ONLY to see the Versys accelerate AWAY...!

:sneaky:

(y)(y)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Because the inclusion of a Vette into THIS thread, didn't come from ME, I'll add another.

Back around the 'mid-90s', a friend (owned a Vette shop) told me that a bunch of guys were renting the race-track in Calgary to have a "track-day", and suggested that I come in my '62 Vette (340HP 327, close-ratio 4 speed) for an afternoon of fun. I used 6,500rpm as a redline, and my car would go 10 mph/1,000 rpm in FIRST gear, so 65 MPH at redline in FIRST.

'62 Vette by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Among the cars that came were a Countach, several Ferraris, a Cobra (probably a kit-car) as well as several Camaro IROC 'race' cars. At the drivers' briefing the rules were laid out that:
1. you could ONLY pass on the left;
2. ONLY on either the FRONT or BACK straight; and
3. ONLY IF the car in front indicated that passing was OK, as these were quite valuable vehicles!

I think my old Vette was the ONLY car there w/out disc-brakes, tho' it was NOT slow by any means, so I would NOT try to corner at anywhere near the speeds the others could use. During the laps I drove, an IROC Camaro would come up behind in the curves, and as we started into the straight I would shift into first, wave him to pass then 'bury-the-throttle'... and leave a VERY surprised Camaro driver WAY behind!

This happened again and again as he couldn't accelerate w/ my old car, so he ended up behind AGAIN, until I decided to 'pit', at which time he could do... whatever...!

Kind of the similar fun to having some car or V-Twin pull alongside the V650, then floor it, ONLY to see the Versys accelerate AWAY...!

:sneaky:

(y)(y)
Very nice Vette. I just had a 88 ragtop
I did the paint work, only 5 were painted this color for 88 and weren't released to the public.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
My main sponsor for my drag race car had a '58 Vette for a number of years, I drove it a few times it was kind of fun, plenty of get up and go and would turn 14.0 quarters on street tires, but driving it fast on the street it felt to me like driving a low slung truck.
I would have considered a track day kind of brave with the big old drums. (-;

·
Super Moderator
22,010 Posts
Very nice Vette. I just had a 88 ragtop
I did the paint work, only 5 were painted this color for 88 and weren't released to the public.
Here's a pic of my OTHER Vette, a '72 coupe that I bought new in '72.

'72 Vette-1B&W by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Ran American Racing 200S wheels on BOTH.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts