Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many posts on how ABS may work against you when riding off road but have the opposite question, is ABS highly recommended on the X 300 when using it on the street?

Asking because I have a deposit down on a used 2020 X 300 but just realized it does not have ABS. The X 300 would be used as a commuter and 100% on road use. ABS has saved my bacon more than once on my V1K but was thinking/hoping maybe I can get away without it on the X 300.

None of the many bikes I've had prior to the V1K had ABS but as I have gotten (a lot) older I've really come to appreciate the various rider aids, ABS being one of them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've seen many posts on how ABS may work against you when riding off road but have the opposite question, is ABS highly recommended on the X 300 when using it on the street?

Asking because I have a deposit down on a used 2020 X 300 but just realized it does not have ABS. The X 300 would be used as a commuter and 100% on road use. ABS has saved my bacon more than once on my V1K but was thinking/hoping maybe I can get away without it on the X 300.

None of the many bikes I've had prior to the V1K had ABS but as I have gotten (a lot) older I've really come to appreciate the various rider aids, ABS being one of them.
Good question about ABS. I've owned my X300 for a year. It is a 2021 with ABS. To my knowledge the ABS has not been brought to action as I've not had to do a panic stop with the rear brake fully pressed down with my boot. This is the first motorcycle that I've owned with ABS. I hope X300 owners that have gotten into a bad traffic situation will let us know more about how it behaves.

·
Registered
2013 v650
418 Posts
On my 13 650 non abs I have been able to lock the rear brake on an aggressive stop. I can see where abs would be a good thing. My other bikes are much heavier at the rear or less efficient brakes. (Longer wheel based, lower center of gravity) I don't tend to lock up on them. I can use more rear brake to supplement the front. Different bikes require different techniques.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
1,089 Posts
Short answer: I have no clue !

Commentary: I've never had ABS (my x300 doesn't either) ... but I've always thought it would be useful ... maybe one day we'll both be able to compare with and without. Right now ... I've only had without. I did like the linked brakes on my Honda NT700v ... but kind of like ABS ... good for a street bike, but not so much for dirt ? (I probably won't ride aggressively enough off road for either to mess with me -- I haven't skidded my rear tire for directional help in a long time !)

·
Registered
72 Posts

Replying to your post specifically as a Versys-X 300 owner:
I'm very close to 20,000 miles now on a leftover 2020 that I bought new in Spring 2021. Mine is the twin to yours but does have ABS. In all those miles, at least on pavement, I've never had the ABS activate. However, as per commonly depicted off-pavement scenarios, I did have it come on while on a steep downhill forest road covered in thick, loose gravel- which is exactly what I didn't want at that moment!

I think you'll be fine. (y)

·
Registered
Vx300 14/43: Urban Assault Vehicle
905 Posts
I’m not opposed to locking the rear wheel and kicking it out on pavement either. Being able to do that has saved my bacon before.
I’ve not had to lay a bike down on the street, but that can be preferable to some alternatives. It’s not a beginner technique for sure. I’d not even consider it without extensive dirt bike experience. But all that is off the table with abs

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
1,089 Posts
Replying to your post specifically as a Versys-X 300 owner:
I'm very close to 20,000 miles now on a leftover 2020 that I bought new in Spring 2021. Mine is the twin to yours but does have ABS. In all those miles, at least on pavement, I've never had the ABS activate. However, as per commonly depicted off-pavement scenarios, I did have it come on while on a steep downhill forest road covered in thick, loose gravel- which is exactly what I didn't want at that moment!

I think you'll be fine. (y)
Thanks for that reminder about "steep downhill offroad" potential issues with abs ! I may not have appreciated my non abs enough in those situations 👍🏻

·
Registered
142 Posts
My take on it, in general terms I don't have an x300.

If you are an experienced rider ABS is a convenience and allows one to be a little sloppy with braking finesse.

If one is selling a bike with ABS it is an easier sell with a larger potential market, so buying a bike with ABS now may add future value.

One has to realize that there are new riders out on the streets these days that have only known ABS.
Whether that's wonderful or sad, I don't know. |-:

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Good question about ABS. I've owned my X300 for a year. It is a 2021 with ABS. To my knowledge the ABS has not been brought to action as I've not had to do a panic stop with the rear brake fully pressed down with my boot. This is the first motorcycle that I've owned with ABS. I hope X300 owners that have gotten into a bad traffic situation will let us know more about how it behaves.
You might want to go to an empty parking lot and do some braking drills so you know what to expect with hard braking. Especially if there is a bumpy section you can brake in.

·
Registered
2021 Versys X300, black/grey, stock, OEM hard cases, centre stand, hand guards,givi crash bars.
39 Posts
My 2021 x300 is my first cycle with ABS.
You can practice your panic emergency braking, and anti-invisibility strategy’s too, but when something happens for real, the ABS can be your, “all of a sudden” best friend.
No one would ever expect that car who somehow owns the fast lane, who is now shocked that they are about to miss their exit, and then suddenly turns and brakes, a few bikes lengths ahead of you.
And you were just thinking of all the people with their little gardens enjoying the morning rain.
There was no time for trail braking, or a quick slow down and avoid. You just grab the brake lever and jam your foot down for all your worth.
My pretty bike and I would have had a very bad day without the ABS.
The worst part of the story, is that the offending car driver was oblivious to this whole drama.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You might want to go to an empty parking lot and do some braking drills so you know what to expect with hard braking. Especially if there is a bumpy section you can brake in.
Bumpy section, yes! A local intersection was always full of pavement ripples due to heavy truck traffic there. The ABS on my 2012 V-Strom 650 would sometimes activate there. I always thought that the ABS implementation on that bike was a little heavy-handed, but then again that was a Bosch Gen 3 system, I believe. The ABS units in the Versys-X 300 are what, Bosch Gen 9 or 10 now? Much better controlled, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
496 Posts
ABS for paved roads is a good thing.

Edit:
1) The ABS on the Wee-X can be turned off for off pavement purposes, there is a thread on this forum on How To.
2) If you have ABS, practice using it. I say that because, in my 50 years of riding I find that I don't brake as hard as I could due to old habits.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts